Thread: walking like a women

walking like a women

I have seen many threads on here that have talked about how a women is suppose to walk, well not all women walk like models or beauty queens(one foot in front of the other). When i am out in public i watch how women walk and in my opinion i see that 98% of the women out there just walk, so i guess the question i have is we as crossdresser or trangender why do we want to walk like models or beauty queens.
    I love being a girl

Well, my guess, because it is one of those things we can change and as a crossdresser can be turned on and off. Since many aspects of us are masculine and some of those aspects are difficult or unchangeable, we need to change all those things that we can, to I guess make up for it.

But the next time you are looking, watch a guy walk and watch a woman walk, there are subtle differences. Guys have longer gates and lead with the shoulder where woman glide a bit more and lead with the hips.
    - AF

Look girl, act girl, feel girl ... be girl.

You are correct, not all women walk the same. I dated a woman years back who had a pretty masculine walk, and even a low pitched voice, but she was small and all female.

I think we want to present as many "feminine" signs as possible to offset the male signs and look. The danger of course is that we would forget and slip into the feminine walk while in male mode. That could be embarassing.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

I guess my answer for all those over achievers out there would be "because it's there". Honestly, I don't walk like anything but myself.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Silver Member
    There are many different styles of the female gait. Depending on the event, season, outfit, and age of the GG, most move smoother compared to a guy. No matter what feminine action is performed - sitting, standing, talking, walking, etc, "we" want to assure others we are presenting and need to be accepted as a feminine individual.

Miriam
    A presenter at SCC last week described the difference as "women push themselves along" while "guys pull themselves", and I've found this to be very helpful. This only works if you take shorter strides than men typically take and maintain fully upright posture (not leaning forward).

Other than that, as my wife frequently reminds me, it's not that different. Right foot remains slightly to the right of the left foot.

Keep it simple and relaxed, unless you're trying to put on a show or exaggerate.

Miriam

Playboy girl at heart Bunny Girl Zoe's Avatar
    More to do my hip movement and how body moves than if legs go in front of other.
    Come join me on facebook

I'm not sure how to walk, especially as I don't wear heels! (lol how a size 10/11 mans foot could be available in a womans shoe is beyond me!

So I don't know how women walk on average in military boots!
    Be whoever you want to be. Screw what others think. It's their loss....

Girl from the Eagles Nest reb.femme's Avatar
    I can't help feeling that I'm sometimes walking with buckets on my feet when out in my wedges. It is an art form to master, but I find a smaller length step keeps me from looking too manly. I do try to keep from walking like a model but also alert to the fact there is something in the way that's keeping my thighs apart .

I'm a size 10 in girl shoes so it's a good job Evans offer some decent shoes in the same size as the boxes my wife gets her shoes in .

Rebecca
    Flying high under the spell of life!

http://www.rebsweb.co.uk

some good pointers here! i've also read that you should walk with your elbows kinda tucked into toward your torso and projecting your breasts forward. just doing those simple things helps me a lot. and i don't try to make it so exaggerated like a model walking down a runway; it's more subtle than that. and why do i do it? same reason i dress up; it feels good! lol!
    molly

Hi Juanita
    I think the best thing is, as you have said, is to observe the women when you are out. I sometimes try to do things like walk slower with smaller steps, keep my head up, and other things. I just don;t want to look like I'm trying to walk like a woman. It has to be natural.
    wilma
    me and my "pinkcheeks"

Somewhere along the way you do have to mix it up a bit.
    Smaller steps is always a start.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

My opinion: smaller steps, chin up, shoulders back, knockers up, arms at sides with one shoulder cocked to hold the purse, with tall heels. Women are taught this--or maybe not.
    You might try a "posture bra" which holds the shoulders back. Costs around $25.
    And maybe use some duct tape and tape a tennis ball to the inside of your left knee--you will walk with your feet farther apart. LOL!
    And maybe stuff your bra with bags of about 5 pounds of sand. You will learn to keep your shoulders back to balance and carry the extra weight. Or use water--8 pounds per gallon, you know. You need extra skill to balance the ebb and flow. LOL!

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by linda allen View Post
    I think we want to present as many "feminine" signs as possible to offset the male signs and look.
    Yes, I agree, that is the goal .. well my goal anyway. All the things we can influence and change, like our deportment, we should try to make feminine. If you think you do ok, try videoing yourself walking across a parking lot. I did and it was a bit of a shock! It was ok but nowhere near as good as I thought I was in my mind.
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

Juanita, I think most of who go out into the world, just want to pass....I agree the model gait is overdone. I found this site very helpful http://www.biomotionlab.ca/Demos/BMLwalker.html It really illustates the vast differences in gait. and like Rachel said, the video of yourself is a great idea.

Beth
    Oh, how I wish....

I was just walking back and forth down my hall trying to see how I naturally moved in 5" platforms. I find that in heels that tall, I feel more stable doing the model walk with one foot pointed in front of the other. Cant explain it but its more natural for me. Now in flats, I walk pretty normally with just a slightly smaller step and slightly more movement in my hips. Once again though, its a natural thing that I dont really think about while doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Juanita S View Post
    I have seen many threads on here that have talked about how a women is suppose to walk, well not all women walk like models or beauty queens(one foot in front of the other). When i am out in public i watch how women walk and in my opinion i see that 98% of the women out there just walk, so i guess the question i have is we as crossdresser or trangender why do we want to walk like models or beauty queens.
    Well, we don't 'all' do that. Those who do, simply are trying to emulate females in the hopes to feel and look more as a female. Yes, 98% of women 'just walk', but due to anatomical differences, they usually look a bit different than men do when they walk.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

besides guys moving the shoulders a lot when they walk they tend to come down on the heel first, in high heels we need to come down flat
    Last edited by MssHyde; 09-15-2013 at 06:33 PM.
    Carpe Noctem

Cheyenne Hyde

"You may never exceed, your own expectations, of yourself"

http://s46.photobucket.com/user/MsHyde2u/library/
    (the password is feminine)

Banned Read only
    Yes, 98% of women just "walk." AND, it is different than men. When you see the rare woman who walks like a man it is super noticeable. Men take larger strides and walk with our legs farther apart. THAT is different enough from the typical woman. Models are a very different example.

The all-time best film clip about the difference, watch Marilyn Monroe, Click here, contains audio.

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Women do walk many different ways, but there are some key elements to look for.

First, women have wider hips and less upper body strength. This tends to make them shift more. Untrained women will often have a bit of a "pop" as they put their weight down on their leg. This may have had a practical function in human evolution as it would result in less disturbance of the upper body, making it easier to carry a sleeping child and walk without waking it up.

Women who have been trained in ballet as girls or teens, will tend to walk a bit more gracefully, with a gentle rolling of the hips and butt, however the upper body is even more still and controlled.

Women who have been trained as models, one of the first lessons is to swivel their hips forward before they step, so that the foot lands directly in front of the previous foot, and pointing straight forward. Really good runway models will adjust their walk to best display what they are wearing, popping to show a skirt that has a bounce, swiveling more to get the flair of a skirt, and letting the top pop to get more jiggle in swimsuits or more bounce on frilly tops.

If you really want to learn a good "girl walk" find a woman who has gone to "modeling school" or done ballet. They will have numerous distinctions in how to move the way a girl *should* move.

It's nearly impossible to learn the walk if you haven't studied dance yourself, and even then it's way too easy to come off like a "street walker" who is "working it".
    Facebook - Debbie Lawrence
    Web - [URL="http://www.debbieballard.org"]DebbieBallard.org{/URL]
    See also:
    Open4Success

It takes much practice to gain the poise and grace of a model, also models portray the extreme in feminine gaits which isn't the way most women walk. That being said, for me walking like a woman means the sway of the hips and butt. Stepping lightly on the ball of the foot rather than shuffling on the heel and taking shorter steps is also more of a womanly walk.
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    As luck would have it, my trick back is no longer delicate since Tina arrived and started wearing heels. My interest in how women walk is intense and important. The Biomation simulation that's been referenced here a lot shows that the act of walking is a spectrum of movements.

On one end is the very typical muscle-bound male where arms are wide and strides are long. This end of the spectrum has its walker cutting a wide swath.

On the other end is a runway model in 5" heels taking tiny inline steps and cutting a very narrow swath.

Even women in flats will usually cut a rather narrow swath and most men of any muscle ownership will usually cut a wider swath taking rather longer swath.

It's clear that most women don't walk like runway models, but those same women in heels will display wonderful runway-model qualities

When we present as women many of us are committed to becoming one with our feminine selves. A part of that is internalizing everything feminine and presenting those characteristics externally. Thus, when we wear 5" heels we tend to walk like models and with lesser heels we still try to keep our"size" small in keeping with the gender we are presenting. It's all in making a presentation consistent with the gender in our minds.

Platinum Member
    Hi Juanita, I love to watch the way that women walk in heels and try to imitate them when I'm wearing heels.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!