Thread: I told my parents that I want to become a woman.

The woman inside me Kathryn Philips's Avatar

I told my parents that I want to become a woman.

Hi All! Yesterday I had the first opportunity to meet face to face alone with both my parents and I simply told them that for a number of years I had been increasingly unhappy with my biological gender and that I would like to become a woman. I can report that my parents are fully supportive of my wishes. Further more, my mom phoned me today to reiterate their full and unconditional support. I am so happy for, I can now feel that my dream will become true. But, at the same time, it all suddenly feels so much more real and scary.
    xxx
    Kathryn

Waiting for my upgrade to Female

So glad for you. Great to hear of your supportive parents. Hope your transition is as smooth as possible.
    After searching my lingerie drawers, I have come to the conclusion that they lied. Ruffles don't have ridges. At least mine don't.

Platinum Member
    That is wonderful, Kathryn. Having that level of parental support is wonderful. So, where do you go from here?

That's excellent news, Kathryn! I know that you have other obstacles in your way but having your parent's support is wonderful.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Wonderful news Kathryn

It is something that will always be scary but you have to do whats right for you.

I am so glad your going to get their support.
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

Quote Originally Posted by Eryn View Post
    That's excellent news, Kathryn! I know that you have other obstacles in your way but having your parent's support is wonderful.
    Thank you Eryn. Yes, indeed the main obstacles still in the way. But with the support of my parents and sister it will make my journey all that easier. A journey that I now know I need to make.
    xxx
    Kathryn

Small town in western Kansas middle of nowhere
    I am so happy for you that things with your parents went so well. Onwards and upwards now. Best wishes for you.
    "It takes all kinds of kinds" Miranda Lambert
    Now some point a finger and let ignorance linger
    If they'd look in the mirror they'd find.
    That ever since the beginning to keep the world spinning
    It takes all kinds of kinds.

Kathryn,

Glad to hear that your parents support you. Having a supportive family is very important.

I'm happy for you! Having family support helps so much.

Hugs,
    Leah
    Be nice; It don't cost nothing.

Gone to live my life
    Hi Kathryn. I love to hear such wonderful stories where the family supports and loves. Beautiful sweetie.

Hugs

Isha

Quote Originally Posted by kimdl93 View Post
    That is wonderful, Kathryn. Having that level of parental support is wonderful. So, where do you go from here?
    I reckon I will need to wait at least 18 months before I actually set things in motion. I plan to go full-time and at the moment only envisage HRT to feminise my visible external appearance. Gender affirmation surgery will only be considered if my sexual needs change such that I require to function sexually as a woman.
    xxx
    Kathryn

Not-So-New Post-Op Member Leigh Wyndham's Avatar
    Oh Kathryn,

I Think you're gonna do just fine. I don't want to sound like a know-it-all, but, in my opinion, I think the single most important thing when starting transition is learning to vocalize as a woman. It is probably the single most important thing that will thrill you the most, and give you a wonderful euphoria and sense of accomplish and confidence.

It will take probably the most diligence of anything else you'll do during transition to learn to change the way your voice resonates. Men use the diaphragm to push and force the air to flow through the vocal folds and resonate within the chest. Women use much less force to move the air through the VF and the resonance is more in the bony architecture of the sinuses and nose and the teeth help to control the flow of sound. There are a few instructional videos online that work well.

Hope this helps. Congrats and Huggles,

Leigh

Find a good gender therapist and start facial hair removal yesterday.
    "When failure is off the table the only thing left is to negotiate levels of success" M Hobbes

"Never Let your Fear Decide Your Fate" Awolnation

"A new dawn destroys the tranquility of the darkness" Steph W

Platinum Member
    Hi Kathryn, I wish you all the best in your future journeys ,May your path's be covered with rose petals and sunshine.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Kathryn
    I applaud your courage! Good luck with your journey!
    Hugs
    Suzanne

Good to hear! It takes courage to not only face others but to face yourself. Good luck as you start your new journey.

You are so brave! I could never do that. I'll be in the closet to my family forever. I have a couple friends who know n it will have to stay that way. But in so happy for you!!!! You go girl : )

That's awsome Kathryn. Your mom and dad rock hun. And keep us updated on you progress hun. You go girl.
    Angie

Kathryn,
    Now that worry is out of the way, you can settle down, think of the logistics, see therapists who can advise you and get on with life.
    I am eager to see how you progress.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Such wonderful news! I'm excited for you. Please keep us up-to-date as you move forward.