Thread: A Question For The Students

A Question For The Students

I am very seriously considering going back to school. So much so that my sister has agreed to help me with the financial aid papers and all that since she just finished doing them for her daughter. I'm going to be going back for fashion design! Yay!! I'm excited.
    The drawback is that as this chapter of my life unfolds, another will be ending. I will be saying goodbye to my marriage which in my opinion has been over for quite some time now. I am going to try and live on campus and make my way through college life. It's going to be rather crazy since it's been 12 years since I graduated with my associates.
    The main thing I wanted to discuss is how to manage being transgender in a dorm environment. I am moving towards going through therapy and possibly getting onto hormones if they allow it so I am very much going to be out and open with everyone. I plan on living life as a girl the majority of the time. Do any college students have experience with this sort of thing and how has it been received by roommates, class members, etc? I just kind of wanted an idea of what to expect. I live in GA and I know it probably varies from state to state. Any help would be appreciated though.

Eva,
    I think if you are sharing with males, think very hard.
    I think the area is more conservative also. Not really outgoing.
    There will be an age difference, on an average six or seven years.
    You would be perceived as an older person, a little weird in your ways and probably not accepted into a younger group who have very different interests.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Congrats on moving towards therapy and hormones, however I hate that you are saying good bye to your marriage.

In reference to your question, it will depend on the college. One of the first things that I would look for is co-ed dorms. You definitely do not want to be in a male only dorm. I think you will have more students that are accepting now but you will also have those who just fear what they don't know and lash out accordingly. You are right, GA is tricky...but if you plan on going to school here in Atlanta, I think you will be ok. Just really check out your surrounds.
    be sweet for me

-Renae

I agree with Renae, it depends on where you are going to school here. I live in Athens and assuming that you are in a co-ed dorm I really don't think you'd have much of a problem. But definitely be wary of an all guys dorm. Guys can be pigs!
    Finally decided on a name! Lindsey

"Let us step into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure."
    J.K. Rowling

Well it looks like I might not be living in the dorms after all. The college I'm looking at for my degree apparently doesn't have dorms so I'm on my own but I have lots of good friends in the area who I might be able to move in with if nothing else, temporarily. I think everything will work out just fine. In terms of going to class, I plan on living full time as a female so it goes without saying that I will be dressed.
    As for being older and set in my ways as a bit on the strange side, I have always been on the strange side and been fine lol. As for my age, luckily I still look to be in my mid 20s. I had a family today at work freak out when they found out how old I was. The mom thought I was 21 and the teenage daughter thought I was 25 or so. They were both surprised to find out I am 31. So that should work to my benefit.
    My sister is helping me a lot and is being really awesome. So that's 2 out of 3 sisters that know. She told her 18yo daughter too which I'm fine with. Her daughter thought it was awesome and hoped I was gay too but no luck for her there unless you count me as a lesbian. She said the only way we could be friends though is if I wear her uber sparkly Vans shoes. I apparently almost wear the same size shoe so i told her i would try. I told her that I would if she is willing to wear stilettos with me....5" minimum heel. She agreed and told me she wants them in black with sparkles....kids lol. So all is going very well. I can't wait to get into school. I'm super excited. If all goes well, I'm going to be going to Bauder college for fashion design and styling. I think ive got the knack for it. I made a Fall outfit on my site and in the last 2 days I've had over 2000 more hits. That puts me at over 17000 views in the last 6 months and it slowed down because I haven't had much time to design more outfits. I can't wait to be able to do it as a job!!
    Last edited by Aly Cat; 10-14-2013 at 11:47 PM.

How exciting. Good luck.

Jeri

I'm surprised, nobody mentioned, call the campus LBGT center. Most universities have one. They should be able to give some good advice. The Campus directory will have their phone and email.

Thank you all. Tgirl, I will definitely do that. I'm super excited and nervous. its a total life change for me. As they say, life goes on. And who knows, I may even enjoy it!