Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best way to capture a pic by yourself

Tripod, tripod, tripod.

Which in general means a "real camera". (Yes I know there are "tripods" for phones, but it's not optimal)

Then use either the timer delay feature, a remote shutter release or both!

Veronica
    If you believe in it, makeup has a magic all it's own -- Sooner or Later (TV movie)
    We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?- Marianne Williamson
    Have I also not said that "This Thing of Ours" makes some of us a bit "Barefoot in the Head"? Well, it does.

The non-GG next door.... Candice Mae's Avatar
    Look in a mirror prior to taking pictures and evaluate your self. Make sure you look your best from head to toe. Pick a location that is free of clutter or will not over power you in the picture. Also avoid wearing like colors of your back ground, your taking a picture of you not the back ground. Also less is more, you don't need 6" heals, huge boobs, or to pull your skirt/dress up. Sure we all like to feel sexy, but there is a line and a modesty of being a woman vs looking like a.... Lastly shoulders back, boobs out, if standing have at least one leg straight, a most importantly of all SMILE.

Above suggestions are good. My avatar is indoors, and likewise my profile--but both are close to a strong light source. Self-timer. Background carefully selected, (profile is in front of a shower curtain).
    If you take tripod self -timer shots using auto focus...the pic may be out of focus because you were not in the frame when the camera adjusted the focus (with sound waves), or maybe you were right in front of the camera and it tried to focus at 2 feet. Use the fixed focus and set the distance in advance to fix this problem. Outdoor light on a cloudy day with a leafy background works excellent. Outdoors avoids "white face" from the flash. Outdoors gives a much better pic if your cell phone has no flash.
    If you use a cell phone--hope it has a self-timer. If no tripod, attach it to a can of beer with a rubber band or support it in a coffee mug held upright with a bit of paper towel; place it on a table or high shelf; adjust your height so you face is in the picture, (on your knees if necessary).
    OR...if you have a flip phone (like me), use self-timer and stand it up like a triangle on a picnic table or car roof. In my case they come out upside down--but pics are easily corrected in the computer. I take the Micro-SD card out and slip it into my card reader to transfer photos to the computer.

Remember to pose like a Hollywood movie star...slight angle, left leg bent. Look at the camera...or...look left and roll eyes to camera.

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    I have a simple and cost effective arrangement that fits nicely in my purse. The rig allows me to collect images or HD videos, even under water, that I edit with free software (Fastone for images and MS MovieMaker for video) Camera $70.00, HD vidcam $50.00, tripod $10.00.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    They r a zillion good suggestions here. U should try them all, Heather. Here's the most important: Remember u can delete ALL your pics if u like! So, take a zillion and keep the 3 u like!

Quote Originally Posted by reb.femme View Post
    Mounted on a cheap tripod, my little point and shoot Canon has a '3 shots with 10 sec delay' setting, which is great for diving back to the designated position and striking a pose. This way I get to take loads in a short period, change angles, poses and facial expression.

I could do with a remote, which would be an ideal extra.

Rebecca
    I guess my Cannon is newer than yours, Becca? Because mine has up to 30 second delay timer! U have NO IDEA how much trouble I can into and/or contorted positions, in 30 seconds!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I have tried the tripod with a camera, but he best pictures that I have taken have come from the front cam of my phone.

You know that I have had that same problem sometimes. What I find works the best is one of those long handle large butterfly nets to capture those runaway pictures, or is that runway pictures??

This thread is a great asset to me as I mostly suck at taking my own photos. I use a Canon digital. Hate handheld length pics as the lens is too close to my face and distorts it. Don't have a tripod but can use the windowsill of my room.

Of course you can always cheat a bit and touch up the contrast and colour of the uploaded photos to make you look even more appealing. You can also buy a remote for some cameras that let's you take on the spot instead of messing around with timers.

Shriek, I don't know where you live, but those little purse size mini tripods, some of which have flexible legs that can be shaped to grab onto most small projections can be found in cheap discount stores and probably on eBay for very little cost, less than $10.00. For larger tripods, just keep visiting a lot of thrift stores. Just make sure that the top part is complete and has the little screw to attach your camera to the little camera platform. They can even be cheaper there than a new mini tripod.

I just use a mirror and my cell phone
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Cell phone and timer app.

I always have this problem

I use the tripod and timer also. But I set the timer on 5 pictures. Push the button, step in front of the camera and move around like a model. You get 5 shots. One of them should look good. It works beautifully for me. Daviolin
    [SIZE="6"]
    [/SIZE]
    A CD AND HIS WARDROBE, ITS A BEAUTIFUL THING.

You have a great sense of style, Daviolin, and five at a time is a good idea. It gives us a chance to do five poses. I can pretend I am a model and try some poses I have seen in catalogs or Hollywood magazines. My flash is not strong enough to shoot rapid-fire shots. I have to do those outside in better light.
    How about showing us one of your fall outfits? Your favorite pose. Or perhaps a series of five in a row?

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferR771 View Post
    You have a great sense of style, Daviolin, and five at a time is a good idea. It gives us a chance to do five poses. I can pretend I am a model and try some poses I have seen in catalogs or Hollywood magazines. My flash is not strong enough to shoot rapid-fire shots. I have to do those outside in better light.
    How about showing us one of your fall outfits? Your favorite pose. Or perhaps a series of five in a row?
    Good idea Jen. I think I will post a 5 shot series, and ask everyone's opinion. Daviolin
    [SIZE="6"]
    [/SIZE]
    A CD AND HIS WARDROBE, ITS A BEAUTIFUL THING.

Shoes glorious shoes rachellegsep's Avatar
    If your camera has a video out (mini jack to yellow RCA) / HDMI out connect it to the tv (set to AV / hdmi input). That way you see what the camera see's. Even better if the camera has a remote. HD camcorders also work well as you can strip individual frames from the recording
    In search of muliebrity

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Karren, Great idea. Velco on the back of the camera! I will try this, as my little camera is too round to stand well, and i don't have a tripod. Can't afford a tripod right now, as pumping over a thousand bucks into having a good used engine put in my 76 Dodge.

Heather, you have been given a lot of great ideas. I take all of my photos myself and use the tripod and camera with a self timer. As others have said smile, have camera above eye level and set camera to multi mode to get several pics of the same session. Another info site that gives great tips on posing that I have seen is http://www.digital-photography-schoo...fferent-photos . Have fun taking those pics and show us some of your wonderful pics.

Banned Read only
    My wife takes mine, although we've only taken a few of me totally dressed so far. I'm hoping that once I lose a little weight, get a corset and have some day time lighting the few that I have won't be so dark.

I was using my camera with the tripod and timer but I was finding my pictures were a little fake..
    Now I use my iPhone and a big mirror for selfys or at arms length.
    i am what I am, I do what I do..
    i do not seek approval from others.

Curious Member GenderCurious Andrea's Avatar
    Great thread I am going to try most these ideas. I use the web cam attached to my lap top so I can see from the screen photos are ok but lighting is key. The best advice I can give is feel confident your best side is the one you feel comfortable with. good luck I'm sure you will take some great pictures.

I think most phones have a video mode, and you can simply set it up running and then go to your 'spot' and do an assortment of poses. Then use vlc media player http://get.videolan.org/vlc/2.1.0/wi....1.0-win32.exe to take snapshots (shift s is for snapshot, you can pause the video where you want it first) of those poses at the specific moment you want and convert them to jpg. It's easier to find the exact point you want if you make it full screen because the play bar is longer and you can isolate the exact point you want. . Be careful to set the vlc settings for jpegs, because I think it defaults to png or some other oddball picture format instead (tools, preferences, video, snapshot, format). Also note, that you will be using up the memory on your phone at a rapid rate, so remember to delete the video from your phone. Hope this helps.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

A decent digital camera with a self timer and a tripod will get you a bunch of photos. Sometimes you can just set the camera on a shelf or table but a tripod is better.

Photo editing software lets you crop to get closer and to get rid of distracting background objects. It also lets you correct for bad or off colored lighting. Using a flash too near a light colored wall gives you shadows you don't want.

If you want to get serious about it, you can buy books on learning photography. These will give you the best advice.

While we all want to get the best photos possible, the others can help you learn by showing you what you look like to other people. Walk like a man, stand like a man, fown like a man, etc. Photos from the sides or back really tell a lot. Use them as learning tools.
    Last edited by linda allen; 10-30-2013 at 09:58 AM.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

Self timer and tripod.... However, if you don't have a set of sticks, put camera on a table or a wall, fence, rock, ect..
    I've even set my cam on the spoiler on my 'stang.

Wish I could find my data cable for my digital camera. Have to use my phone to upload pictures.