Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best way to capture a pic by yourself

Best way to capture a pic by yourself

Dont know if this is the right place to post but since i didn't have a picture with it I decded to post here instead of in the picture forum.

Anyway....

What is the best way to get a pic of yoursel by yourself? sometimes it is just so hard to get the camra going and to keep the pose.

All you need is a tripod, self timer and pre-focus on the spot you will be standing (mark the spot with something in advance). For posing, a large mirror behind the camera helps.
    Chickie

Girl from the Eagles Nest reb.femme's Avatar
    Chickhe wrote: "For posing, a large mirror behind the camera helps". Everyone loves a smart A........actually, I'm gonna steal that idea for my next shoot.

Good tip!

Rebecca
    Flying high under the spell of life!

http://www.rebsweb.co.uk

Worlds Prettiest Dad!!! Jocelyn Quivers's Avatar
    One other thing that helps with the tripod, self timer technique is to have a mirror close by, to check your hair, make sure your bra, etc. is not showing. Also have your pic locations scouted, in advanced, take a few practice shots just to get the blood flowing and test out if your outfit looks good. Then get to pic taking, the 10 sec self timer goes by very quickly and can wear you out after a while. So usually after 10-20 pics I take a break, check make up, decide whether to change locations, outfits, refreshen make up etc.
    [SIZE="3"]MUSCULAR GIRLS ARE PRETTY!!![/SIZE]

Current Inspirational Song-"Running Free"- Kissin Dynamite

M-E-A-T, M-A-C-H-I-N-E, MEAT MACHINE!, MEAT MACHINE!!!
    The Governor for President 2016!!
    All I want for Christmas is an Anita Model Synth

I'm guessing a lot of gals here will give you some high tech, elaborate ideas to take pics. Myself? I just took most of mine (which are not re-touched) in my bathroom mirror using ambient lighting with a mini didgcam. Unfortunately that particular cam crashed a bit ago.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Banned Read only
    A mirror behind the camera is a great tip, but don't be at all surprised when the picture comes out that you look completely different to how you thought you were presenting. For one reason. Whenever we look in a mirror we are seeing everything in reverse. And seeing it the right way round can often be jarring to ourselves when looking at pictures of ourselves.

For this reason, photographs (or videos) are the only way for us to actually see ourselves as others see us. Our faces are never symmetrical, so the image we have of ourselves (through looking in mirrors) is different to how we actually look to others. When people say that they hate the way they look in photographs (and I'm one of them), the harsh truth is that that photograph is how we look. Of course, with a photograph, all it will ever do is take a split second moment in time, so the context of any facial expression is lost (an example which illustrates this point is the photo that was taken as we were blinking. In real time - that is in every day life - blinking is exactly that - a split second, almost invisible action. But captured on a photograph we can look simply ridiculous!

So when taking a photo, my advice would be to take many. As Chickhe said - set up a tripod and click away. Take many many pictures. The subtlest of changes in facial expression - which will all be captured in one moment really can and do make all the difference. The point being - never ever judge yourself based on one single photograph. It's why professional photographers (and paparazzi) will take as many as possible.

It all depends on what kind of camera you are using.

For a DSLR, set the autofocus point to "automatic" so the camera chooses which part of the frame is going to focus on. Also, a remote helps a lot, if there isn't one available, just use the timer set to 2 seconds (more than enough to run to the point where the camera will most likely focus on) and strike a pose.

For a point and shoot camera, you could do pretty much the same. Even easier if your camera has a smile shutter or at least face detection (which almost any camera does have lately). Just set the timer and pose, wait for the camera to shoot or just smile in case the camera has the smile shutter.

Most important thing though it's lighting. Proper lighting is key in everything... I could go on extensively on this subject, but a good tip is to try to use "above and in front of you" lighting which slims your face, diminishes shadows and gives you a flattering look in general.

Another ideal tip, is to get a catchlight on your eyes, that means, that small bright spark of light reflected on your iris or pupil. Gives the picture a lot more depth and makes your face a lot more alive! Also, try to place a small lamp behind you or behind you and off frame, to give some nice separation light between you and the background.

I use the mirror behind the camera trick, and also use a hand mirror when I take mug shots. I hold the mirror up in front of the camera while counting - when I get to 8 I take the mirror down and try to hold the pose until the shutter clicks about 2 seconds later.
    Also, for the best photos, have good lighting.
    And smile.
    Take lots. Keep the best.

Girl from the Eagles Nest reb.femme's Avatar
    Mounted on a cheap tripod, my little point and shoot Canon has a '3 shots with 10 sec delay' setting, which is great for diving back to the designated position and striking a pose. This way I get to take loads in a short period, change angles, poses and facial expression.

I could do with a remote, which would be an ideal extra.

Rebecca
    Flying high under the spell of life!

http://www.rebsweb.co.uk

I have a small Sony camera.... bright red.... with a mini tripod... so small it fits in my purse... so I set the 10 second timer and set it down.... pose then retrieve ... also has a Velcro strap for attaching it to railings.... great for those out and about action photos....
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

FYI...some newer android phone have a voice feature that allows you to say a phrase like "cheese" ....it then takes the picture...enjoy! And take plenty pics girls....we are all beautiful!
    Vegan runners are sexy!!!

Apart from an actual cine camera I have two digitals, a small go-anywhere camera which fits on either a standing tripod or a little bendy three tentacle 'octopus' type which bends round railings & tree branches & suchlike.

The other is a big SLR lump for which I have a remote control. This will focus, expose & fire at the touch of a little button in my hand at up to 100 feet range, (so they say). Trick there is to set the SLR up on a tripod & zoom to a chosen field of view to allow you do your thing. I generally set the camera to multiple fire, so that if I keep the button pressed it will take three shots per second, so there will be lots of frames to choose from when editing afterwards.

That certainly takes care of the 10-second dash.

M.

I am only repeating what everyone else has said.
    Camera, tripod and self timer.
    You do need to comb your hair and look presentable also.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Red face

The most important advice I can give you is "smile" damnit
    Dressing is not a choice.

Its a passion.

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather_Shirly View Post
    Dont know if this is the right place to post but since i didn't have a picture with it I decded to post here instead of in the picture forum.

Anyway....

What is the best way to get a pic of yoursel by yourself? sometimes it is just so hard to get the camra going and to keep the pose.
    I sure would like to know!...I have not figured it out yet so I took videos so far...I did capture a few "print screens" from the videos though and saved as a pic...
    Last edited by JamieQ; 10-18-2013 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Additonal info

One tip I haven't seen yet is to use a tall tripod and get the camera at head level. That helps to make us tall girls look a bit less Amazonian.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

I don't know about cameras, but here are some good tips for posing: http://feminizationsecrets.com/cross...sing-mistakes/
    Life is an endless struggle full of frustrations and challenges, but eventually you find a hairstylist you like.

Lady in Being (7/20/17) AmyGaleRT's Avatar
    I use an iPhone 4S with a small tripod that stands atop a desk to keep the lens above eye level. I use a little gizmo called the "Glif" that the phone clamps into and that screws into the tripod. I also use an app called "Camera Genius" that features a repeating timer with an audible countdown beep.

To shoot pictures, I set the phone to airplane mode with notifications and auto-lock off, and set Camera Genius to a 10-second repeating timer. Then I put the phone into the Glif screwed atop the tripod, and aim it at the area where I'll be standing when I take the pictures. Then I put some "girly" music on the computer (Pandora or Google Play All-Access work well here), start the timer, step in front of the camera, and let the music move me into different poses. I'll generally do this for one or two songs before stopping, yielding a "run" of 50+ pictures, from which I can pick out the best ones.

- Amy
    Amy Gale Ruth Bowersox (nee Tapie) - "Be who you are, and be it in style!"
    Member, Board of Trustees, Gender Identity Center of Colorado
    aka Amelia Storm - Ms. Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2018-2019, Miss Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2015-2016

Gone to live my life
    I use a DSLR and tripod for most of my pictures with the flash set to "portrait". I normally ensure the camera is above eye level for close up shots. The one thing I don't do is stare directly at the camera lens when doing a portrait shot. I find if I set my gaze just slightly off to the right or left, my face looks a bit more natural. When I stare directly at the lens it winds up looking like a passport photo or a mug shot . . . Oh yeah and smile!

Hugs

Isha

Great link Ashley! I particularly like rule #4, camera set at or above eye level. Funny story - I have a DSLR and was taking pictures of our daughter before prom (my wife knows about Sandra but my daughter doesn't). I set the camera above eye level saying something like "ok for the next shots your going to like this angle, it has a slimming effect on facial features." My wife looks at me with a raised eyebrow and says "and... how do you know this?"

Aussie girl enjoying life Michelle (Oz)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashley Smith View Post
    I don't know about cameras, but here are some good tips for posing: http://feminizationsecrets.com/cross...sing-mistakes/
    Top resource thanks Ashley. I use the usual camera with self-timer and tripod.

The type of camera is important to me. Many photos are taken outside so the camera must be light, fit in my purse, take RAW pictures to allow post editing (not photoshopping) and have a manual focus. The Sony RX100 suits my purpose well. And take a 100 photos and at least one will be good.

Platinum Member
    Hi Heather, Keep lights & doors and windows from behind you the light behind you makes your photo look dark.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

I've found multi-shot mode is the only real option as just taking a single shot at a time means its far too time consuming.... and they'll always be that single photo in a thousand that makes you wonder 'how the hell did I look like that'!

Small town in western Kansas middle of nowhere
    A lot of really good suggestions in the posts here. The best thing is to have that tripod so you can get the camera above eye level, that is really important. Then don't go squared up and head on into the camera unless you are going for that mug shot look. I never was that good a portrait photography but one major thing I did learn is that you need to get the person or person you are photographing to be relaxed. So if you are taking pics of yourself you need to remember to relax and have fun. Its hard to do if you are waiting on a self timer to go off, the old slr cameras had a cable release you could use to trip the camera shutter, some of the newer digitals have a remote button you can use which could also be helpful. Another suggestion would be that if you are using a flash try to difuse it somehow a lot of times you really don't need the flash if you can get your lighting right you just have to experiment which is why digital cameras are so great.
    "It takes all kinds of kinds" Miranda Lambert
    Now some point a finger and let ignorance linger
    If they'd look in the mirror they'd find.
    That ever since the beginning to keep the world spinning
    It takes all kinds of kinds.

Just a touch of class Lynn Marie's Avatar
    When posting your pictures, one really good picture is far better than a dozen average pictures. Why post dozens of pictures in the same outfit, same background, and with only slight variations of the pose? I get bored easily, I even cull the pictures in my own Flickr site just to keep it interesting and classy.