Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does passing/ not passing influence our desire to be in public?

Does passing/ not passing influence our desire to be in public?

If I am honest with myself I have to admit that I am somewhat lazy when I dress. Not in terms of wearing cool outfits that I love and feeling comfortable, but in the more subtle aspects like hair removal and makeup.

I also realize that when I don't put effort into my dressing I am more of a non-pass CD. I get the feeling that part of me doesn't want to go out in public because being non-pass has more of a potential to make others feel uncomfortable -- which I would never want to do.

Is there a correlation with being passable and one's desire to go out in public? Are there some CD's who could care less if they pass?

I guess that would depend on exactly what we are trying to accomplish by going out in public. I give it my best efforts but am not really concerned about "passing" per se. I go out to very few "mainstream" places, preferring to instead associate with LGBT folks who know me and appreciate me for myself.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Girl from the Eagles Nest reb.femme's Avatar
    To use my standard phrase, it's more about 'flying under the radar' than trying to pass.

I would prefer to go about my business, with interaction, but without hassle. IMHO, it's a case of inverse proportionality as regards presentation. The less effort I put in, the more chance I have of some idiot making life more difficult than I really require it. Not a scientific fact, but one I'm quite sure of in my own locality.

Rebecca
    Flying high under the spell of life!

http://www.rebsweb.co.uk

For me, making myself as feminine as possible before going out is important. I think a lot of times, I *don't* go out because I feel to lazy to put in all the work needed.

However, I've been doing more gender-queer looks in my day to day life, and it's fun to be able to wear some feminine clothing without worrying about shaving, makeup, tucking, etc. Of course, I live in a really socially accepting area (Portland, OR), so I know not everyone can do this as comfortably.

Quote Originally Posted by Kate Simmons View Post
    I guess that would depend on exactly what we are trying to accomplish by going out in public. I give it my best efforts but am not really concerned about "passing" per se. I go out to very few "mainstream" places, preferring to instead associate with LGBT folks who know me and appreciate me for myself.
    Sounds very natural and organic, which I try to invoke as well.

Quote Originally Posted by reb.femme View Post
    To use my standard phrase, it's more about 'flying under the radar' than trying to pass.

I would prefer to go about my business, with interaction, but without hassle. IMHO, it's a case of inverse proportionality as regards presentation. The less effort I put in, the more chance I have of some idiot making life more difficult than I really require it. Not a scientific fact, but one I'm quite sure of in my own locality.

Rebecca
    I feel the same way, in regards just wanting to go about my business. The place where I buy my wigs is a hub of people who are really into public parties and presentation. They always assume that I am afraid to participate, and never entertain the idea that I just might roll with the beat of a different drum.

Quote Originally Posted by dusktreader View Post
    For me, making myself as feminine as possible before going out is important. I think a lot of times, I *don't* go out because I feel to lazy to put in all the work needed.

However, I've been doing more gender-queer looks in my day to day life, and it's fun to be able to wear some feminine clothing without worrying about shaving, makeup, tucking, etc. Of course, I live in a really socially accepting area (Portland, OR), so I know not everyone can do this as comfortably.
    I used to live in Portland too. Are gender-queer looks something specific? Like women's clothes and a beard? Sounds cool and very integrative

hummm, I don't so much know about the passing aspect....At a touch over 6' in my stockings I tend to stand out in any crowd..........at a glance I may seem to be a tall girl but lets face it...not 1 in a hundred will pass 100%....So I don't worry so much about "passing". What I don't do however is go out with two days beard growth, or no make up at all, when I go out en femme I put my best effort into my appearance and try to dress as other women would for the occasion ......but that's only me, others may be comfortable with a beard and a dress and that's perfectly OK too. Remember it's your world and whatever your comfortable with is perfectly OK, as long as you can deal with the reactions.
    Link to my flickr photostream:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/kandybarr

From a lot of submitted pics on this forum there appears to be quite a high proportion of contributors who would 'pass' with flying colours and good luck to 'em. If I saw them in the High Street I'd not pay any particular attention to them, which means that they have succeeded.

Starting at 6'2" in bare feet with a 71 year-old dial and very thin white hair requiring clever wig camouflage I consider myself a total non-starter, so any venturing 'out' would be strictly to a dress-up party where anything goes and not too much is expected. Certainly not the High Street!

M.

I stopped worrying about passing last year. My height, my appendages, my extremities, and my throat all could give me away fairly easily. I'm concerned about being presentable, positive, and happy with myself. I smile more and my self-approval reflects in more respect from others when I'm out en femme.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."
    Oscar Wilde

You can clearly see from my avatar that I "get out there and own it" . I am out usually seven days a week in the mainstream world,and enjoy "converting" people to be more receptive of the T world. All "T"s are equal when out in the world and have to be comfortable being viewed in a positive light as a "T something"..They don't need to know what is in our panties no matter the form of "T" you are!
    It SURE is my hair ! I have the receipt and the box it came in !

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor Ray View Post
    If I am honest with myself I have to admit that I am somewhat lazy when I dress. Not in terms of wearing cool outfits that I love and feeling comfortable, but in the more subtle aspects like hair removal and makeup.

I also realize that when I don't put effort into my dressing I am more of a non-pass CD. I get the feeling that part of me doesn't want to go out in public because being non-pass has more of a potential to make others feel uncomfortable -- which I would never want to do.

Is there a correlation with being passable and one's desire to go out in public? Are there some CD's who could care less if they pass?
    I am sure there is that correlation between being passable and desire to get out in public. All would prefer to pass if possible...but many can "blend". I think without the "desired" passable looks that mannerisms and how one acts can compensate enormously! Once I stopped worrying so much about it all seemed to fall in place...going out in public quickly became so easy...I think I blend good enough not to draw too much attention. I have never felt that I caused someone to feel uncomfortable...but I cannot read minds...

Gone to live my life
    Hi Taylor,

I have only recently started going out publicly and my first real scrutiny trip was a recent one to a busy grocery store. Now I hold no illusion that I pass or am even remotely pretty but I think I blend (at least if nobody is really looking hard) as luckily I have a smaller frame. However a quick second look in my direction will clearly identify I am a guy in a dress.

I still try to put my best foot forward (good make-up, beard cover, clothing, mannerism) not that I think I will pass but at least blend. Still, if I am read (which happens often) I try to smile and just let life continue. I am sure some people are thinking WTF but for most they don't seem to care and just go on.

I do know this, it gets easier to be a bit more confident each time I go out .

Hugs

Isha

I know that I don't pass, and I don't realy try to pass. I don't dress for others, or for the comfort of others. I dress for myself and for my own comfort. There are times that I try to look my best, with makeup to hide my beard shadow, and other times when I just don't bother, looking more androginous than feminine. It depends on where I'm going, what I'm doing, and what kind of mood I'm in. I am out in public, in main stream places, quite often.

I don't have any intention to make others uncomfoortable, but the comfort level of others is not on my mind while I'm getting ready to go out or while I'm out. For the most part, the only other persons who's comfort is of concern to me are my wife and family.
    Grace,
    Bobbi

"Talking is sharing. Listening is caring."

Banned Read only
    I certainly do not pass. I'm six foot even and 190 pounds. My wife tells me I am still a handsome looking guy at 66. The thinning white hair comes with the head and is easily hidden by my grey wig. I am an in-home dresser, so makeup is somewhat of a bother-too much effort for little reward. I just stay away from mirrors. I dress smartly for my tastes.

I have gone out in public. My forays have been evening strolls and several Halloweens. I did enjoy the walks with a cool breeze caressing my stocking legs or making the hem of my dress flutter. Would I like to do more? Perhaps. I see no sense in subjecting myself and family to ill will from cretins. Cross dressing is a small part of me. I have some hobbies. If I go to a venue or club for my hobbies, it would be a distraction to go in a dress.

All that being said, if I was five foot six or seven I would definitely be out there. Sometimes short people have all the fun.

Small town in western Kansas middle of nowhere
    I know if thought I were better looking when dressed I wouldn't be as hesitant to go out in public as I am. Heck if I was attractive with my makeup done as some of the pics I have seen here I would be going out all the time. So I would have to say that at least for me yes there is that correlation there
    "It takes all kinds of kinds" Miranda Lambert
    Now some point a finger and let ignorance linger
    If they'd look in the mirror they'd find.
    That ever since the beginning to keep the world spinning
    It takes all kinds of kinds.

I think my experiences are similar to Isha's. I don't expect to pass, but I work to blend, and I try to have the confidence to be an "ambassador" for my feminine self in public. To me this means putting the effort into presenting in such a way that people are (hopefully) comfortable interacting with me, even though they can tell I am male.

Example, I worn a pumpkin-colored skirt I got at Target into Dress Barn (bought while in drab by the way - SA even was cool about me trying it on). At Dress Barn I asked for help in finding a better matching top than what I had on. This was my first time to DB en femme but I tried to be friendly, make eye contact, and not take myself too seriously. They helped me a lot, and I found a top that worked perfectly. During the whole process I got a lot of compliments on the skirt (and my boots as well), and the end result looked well put together. What's my point... At the end of the exchange I got the vibe from the SA's that yeah, that's a dude but he did good and looks good!

So Taylor to your question, in my experience I am realistic about not passing, but if I can blend in such a way that I can "proudly present" then I feel really good about it. So I don't set the Pass standard for myself, but I try to achieve the "Hey, not bad!" standard. I totally get the lazy part too - sometimes before going out I feel my stress level rise not so much about going out, but about all the stuff I feel I have to do to get ready! Then once I step out the door, I have to deal with normal jitters as well as "decompressing" from the getting-ready stress too.

Sandra

Platinum Member
    Not the desire, but probably it affects the level of confidence needed to go out.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I always want to look my best and if I can pass as a cute well dressed Crossdresser then I'm happy....
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

I never present female. I found it freeing to not have to "hide" like that. Everyone knows what is going on and there is nothing to figure out. I don't have the hunger to be female. I just want to wear the clothes! I have been told by one store clerk that she preferred how I did not try to impersonate a woman. Perhaps not passing is actually less offensive than almost passing...

Just a touch of class Lynn Marie's Avatar
    Dressing well, makeup, and hair causes a transition in me. I become Lynn rather than a guy in a dress. Lynn is still tall and kind of older with big hands and a deep voice, but she's still Lynn. A classy old broad with a killer wardrobe who may pass in a crowd on occasion, but will always get attention.

"A glass of wine anytime" rachaelsloane's Avatar
    Does passing/ not passing influence our desire to be in public?

A well timed post. I was out last night with friends and this topic came up two or three times. IMO, I do not believe I pass, but have been told otherwise, a very fine line. What I do try every time out is to present well (clothes, makeup, hair, etc.). Going out has become more about the interaction with people and less about passing or not passing. Once I'm engaged in a conversation, most of the time, I forget that I'm even dressed and enjoy the evening.
    So, to answer your question I could care less.
    " I love the life I live and I live the life I love"

Quote Originally Posted by rachaelsloane View Post
    Going out has become more about the interaction with people and less about passing or not passing.
    I agree with this, but odds that I go out without shaving or trying to look presentable are probably zero. I don't have to be perfect, and know I never will be, to get out of the house, but it sure makes me feel better to look my best.

The non-GG next door.... Candice Mae's Avatar
    For me its vulnerability, being 5'7" and 144 pounds and dropping. The thought of not being able to defend my self scares me, not that I feel that I'm gonna get attacked every where I go. Its just Candice gets a lot of attention from guys, and sometimes its really uncomfortable dealing with unwanted attention.

I take care to look like a lady when out in public.
    Around home I do not look in mirrors that often.
    So obviously I pass then.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

If I didn't think I could pass (at a distance) I wouldn't go out in public dressed. I have no desire to be viewed as a freak or weirdo. At 5'8" tall and 170 lb I think I'm in the upper end of the range of GGs so at least I have a chance of passing.

Of course passing is not strictly defined so while someone might pass walking through the park or down the sidewalk, that same person might not pass sitting in a restaurant and ordering a meal. I try to not put myself in situations where people get to take a long look at me or engage me in conversation.

And of course, we cannot really look at ourselves in a mirror or photographs and tell if we pass. We need outside opinions.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

Quote Originally Posted by reb.femme View Post

Rebecca
    Rebecca, sounds like we're related:-)

For me, it's not so much a question of "passing", but more of having the complete experience. Thorough shower and shave, full makeup, everything. It's "all or nothing". And NEVER with bare legs!
    Knowing yourself is so much more, Take one step forward and you open up the door. T'pau - Secret Garden.

Check out my blog - You Can't Do That With People