Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crossdressing...A form of Rebellion?

if it was a rebellion you would do it all the time not just on weekends and in your house. That would be sort of a non-rebellious thing. Rebellion requires that you actually do something to make the other "party" notice. Otherwise you are just faking it
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Curious Member GenderCurious Andrea's Avatar
    I think any question of dogmatic, politically correct or social law is rebellious by nature and maybe not in a malicious way but was John Lennon not rebelling when he said "give piece a chance" or Rossa Parks when she sat at the front of the bus. We are pioneers of our own generation if you ask me but that is just how I feel...

The only rebellion I've ever felt was when my wife and I were in costume and we cut through the staff hallway in a radio station/club, ended up behind a stage and crashed a costume party we didn't know was there...
    Chickie

Just a touch of class Lynn Marie's Avatar
    I'm pretty much a conservative conformist at heart. Maybe that's why the CDs I hang out with have labeled me the naughty librarian! I resemble their remarks. Jimmy Dean's rebellion got him an early death and a wreaked Porshe spyder.

Quote Originally Posted by Christie ann View Post
    . A rebel with nothing to burn??
    I've been called a rebel all my life! I'll be dammed if I have to burn my bras to prove it!!! Taint' gonna' happen~!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

I'm pretty deep inthe closet but when out in man mode I will always speak up to anyone talking trash about the LGBTG. Acceptance comes in small steps taken by everyone.

If one calls him/herself a "nonconformist" isn't that really just form of conforming?
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

The first time I put on a slip I was 6 years old, I couldn't spell rebellion I'm pretty sure I didn't know the meaning of the word, and I've never thought about it as a protest, I just dress because the voices in my head tell me to. I call it a compulsion.
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.

Rebellion? Sure - I'll say that's one word to describe it, as well as non conforming. Growing up a repressed catholic I knew it was "wrong" but had a sense of pride and otherness that I thought no one else had. I guess I was kind of wrong, but gratefully so. I still see what I am as different, and the world pays more lip service to diversity than actually accepts it, but I think it's non rebellion for rebellions sake. Who rebels unless they're oppressed in some way? I'm oppressed by the narrow view of gender constructs, by what so many people see what they think being male or female to be. I woukdsaychallenging the norms, and winning hearts and minds along the way.

Platinum Member
    Hi Mystic Lady, It's not a rebellion for me I've been dressing for over 65yrs. , It's just who I am and it's just what I do.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Small town in western Kansas middle of nowhere
    I did a lot of things to rebel, against parents, school, other social norms but I never considered my dressing to be a form of rebellion unless I was rebelling against my own best interests. Then I guess a lot of the crazy stuff I did wasn't in my best interest either. Still I don't think I do it to rebel as some of the others have suggested if was going out and flaunting it in others faces it could be rebellion but I'm not its just me here in the confines of my private world.
    "It takes all kinds of kinds" Miranda Lambert
    Now some point a finger and let ignorance linger
    If they'd look in the mirror they'd find.
    That ever since the beginning to keep the world spinning
    It takes all kinds of kinds.

Your reasoning could very well explain one part of it for many of us. But the therapeutic and stress relief aspect is my motivation and being rebellious is a strange reward tied to it. LOL I have so many reason to CD I can't count them, but the best is I Enjoy It! Hell, I tie anything positive to it, to justify it and really can't see any negatives. It's all good.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Fran
    It's worth something just being around to Fuss!

Speaking only for myself, yes a bit of rebellion, though not completely. The funny part is that it didn't start out that way. Now I look at my guy clothes and I realize how limited my clothing options have been all these years. So, a touch of rebellion against years of adhering to the blah norms of mens clothing, but a lot of celebrating the joys of skirts, (moderate) heels, and colorful, lightweight blouses.

I'm a rebel without a clue, why I do what I do. The other rebels I thought about were the Duke Boys but I seem to identify more with Daisy. Hugs Jaymee
    I enjoy being a boy, being a GIRL like me!!!

Not for me either. It is just something I have learned I need to do and love dressing. It is for my pleasure and not a statement about the state of our society.

Quote Originally Posted by Eryn View Post
    For me it's not rebellion, but fulfillment of something that is a part of me.
    Very well said Eryn, I agree totally!
    Link to my flickr photostream:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/kandybarr

Banned Read only
    Well, too me it is in a way. I like too be different and I don't like running w/ the pack. I choose to go my own way. Wherever I'll end up, who knows. The only thing I can guarantee you is that, I will die someday and I want too die w/ a smile on my face. That's all.

Quote Originally Posted by MysticLady View Post
    Is crossdressing a rebellion from the normal drab everyday life we experience?
    My wife has voiced that theory, but I don't quite buy it. I do it because of something within me. People who rebel usually do it in part because of the effect the rebellion has on others.

Banned Read only
    Actually Dawn, it is because of what is inside me also, that I choose to be different. So, I push back against the wave. Would that not be a rebel in your eyes?

I guess so. I think of "rebellion" more as something you do to deliberately get a rise out of others or to try to force a social change. I just like to crossdress; I'm not particularly activist and I don't try to shock other people.

It's hard to rebel when you dress only for yourself, by yourself. For me it's different but I don't know what it is but it makes me happy.