Thread: The price of support

Girl from the Eagles Nest reb.femme's Avatar

Smile The price of support

Last Saturday, I had to go into town for some bits and bobs with my wife. Once we had bought said items, she asked me if there was anything I wanted. I needed a new coat for winter so off we went to a couple of places, eventually settling at BHS.

I found this dark blue coat with a 20% off tag, showing a final price of £49. However, at the till/checkout, this miraculously became £98.

OK, the real reason for the increase was that my wife also liked the style and she wanted a red one. Guess who paid? A small price I think, for the love and support of my gorgeous wife.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Flying high under the spell of life!

http://www.rebsweb.co.uk

You are one of the happiest here .

That's really awesome. You and your wife have reached a nice place, good for you. And at such a small price.
    Hugs and best wishes
    Ellen Jo
    Somtimes the light's all shining on me, Other times I can barely see.
    Lately it's occured to me.....What a long strange trip it has been.
    Truckin by the Grateful Dead

Silver Member
    Very fashionable coats at a great price, but a supportive accepting wife - priceless!

Small price to pay for such a wonderful woman! I'm envious of you.

Platinum Member
    a very small price and as a bonus the two of you will match...sorta!
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I have a similar arrangement with my wife, I have the lighter colored one and she has the dark one.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Yes that sort of thing happens. The other day we went shopping at Costco and bought something for around a $100. Well, we ended up taking it back but since I had bought it on a debit card they couldn't credit the debit card for some reason or other. They could however give either store credit or cash. Guess who got the cash.

Quote Originally Posted by reb.femme View Post
    OK, the real reason for the increase was that my wife also liked the style and she wanted a red one. Guess who paid? A small price I think, for the love and support of my gorgeous wife.
    Why is that a "price" that you pay? Aren't you both paying for it (in the end), given that you're married and your lives and expenses are ultimately shared?

And would you have not agreed with her buying it if you didn't feel you needed her support?

Assuming that £49 (or £98) isn't a problem for your budget, wouldn't the fact that she wants it be enough, just as your wanting a coat for yourself was enough?

I'm sure you didn't mean it this way (at least I hope not!), but the way this is framed comes right out of the old-school idea that all the money (and property) belongs to the man and whatever the wife gets is him being generous (my father had that idea -- my mom always had to justify to him what she spent on groceries, clothes, etc.) I'm not accusing you of thinking that way, only pointing out that you're using certain ways of expressing things whose origins and implications you'd probably be appalled by.

Girl from the Eagles Nest reb.femme's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Asche View Post
    I'm sure you didn't mean it this way (at least I hope not!), but the way this is framed comes right out of the old-school idea that all the money (and property) belongs to the man and whatever the wife gets is him being generous (my father had that idea -- my mom always had to justify to him what she spent on groceries, clothes, etc.) I'm not accusing you of thinking that way, only pointing out that you're using certain ways of expressing things whose origins and implications you'd probably be appalled by.
    No-one else has pointed out the 'framing' as old school. I believe they have seen it for what it is.

However, you make a great number of assumptions about me and my better half. You assume my wife to be the little woman at home, but she works full time for a large company. Moreover, she earns my wage and 50% again. We have separate bank accounts for wages, but are joint signatures to each.

We have our 33rd wedding anniversary this week and have been together 40 years in a few months.

Don’t read with anger, but read for what is clearly stated in a light hearted manner. I think I show immense respect and love for my wife in all posts, but hell, why bother with facts?

I left misogyny to my dad, to take to his own place in the after-life, and I'm guessing it's hot there. If you have ever read posts I have made about my early life, you would not make such assumptions. I stood between my dad getting to my mum at the age of 14 and met intimately, the living room door. I need no life lessons. l go no further than this.

A simple post I thought, but no, always one downer. This is why I generally only make little comments on posts, instead of deconstructing other people’s lives.

Rebecca
    Last edited by reb.femme; 10-23-2013 at 02:47 PM.
    Flying high under the spell of life!

http://www.rebsweb.co.uk

A small price to pay for such a wonderful SO. Treasure her.

Hugs, Robin

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Asche View Post
    So you're sure reb didn't mean in the way that you (wrongly) interpreted it, but you figured you'd go ahead and make your comment anyway?

Well done on that. Turning a positive thread about a happy couple into something negative that it's not.

Reb, really nice coats, and kudos to both you and your wife.
    Last edited by jenni_xx; 10-23-2013 at 03:00 PM.

It's always lovely when 2 people can be that happy together. No secrets, no lies, just love..... A priceless thing! Nice coats too Reb. x