Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Did advertising encourage your crossdressing?

No. But one of my most powerful CD-related memories is reading the old Sears catalogs from the 1980's. I'd look at the models in their slips, bras, panties, body-shapers and teddies with both admiration and envy. As a teenager, I wanted both to get it on with the models and be them... crazy.

When I was a teenager and into cding I was enthralled by the plethora of lingerie and foundation ads in our local newspaper. It seemed like every night there were at least four or five ads for panties, bras or girdles. Then there was the Sunday edition! Those ads seemed to keep my cding fires quite motivated.

Just as much as car commercials made me want to be an automobile.... and at 7 I don't think I was watching much TV.... Saturday cartoons.... I never saw Might Mouse wearing a dress....
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

No.. but I think Joe Namath helped sell pantyhose to men. Video--->

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BCWvH2ISyI

Give in, girl-out, enjoy Krista1985's Avatar
    I don't think the clothing ads really did anything for me, but when reading your post and some of the reply's, something relevant came to mind.

Saturday morning cartoons were the money slot for toy advertisers, and growing up I can remember vividly watching them advertise the 'boy' and 'girl' toys. as a kid, I was all about ninja turtles, bee-bee guns, GI-Joe's and transformers. But one morning I saw an ad for Polly Pocket, a 'girl' toy, and really wanted it for some reason. I can't remember ever vocalizing that, but it looked so cool, and I knew I wanted it. Keep in mind that was many, many years before the thought of trying on anything outside of the boy's/men's department came to mind. Maybe an early hint?

Years & years ago when I was a teenager, & perhaps before, my family annually received bot Sears & Ward's catalogues and I would eagerly find the lingerie section as I found it very interesting, for more reasons than one.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    Saturday cartoons.... I never saw Might Mouse wearing a dress....
    But Bugs Bunny was always running around in a dress and looking good!

Even Elmer Fudd could look good in a dress.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIZE="3"]
    *** Barbie Lanai ***
    [/SIZE]

It didn't have any effect on my starting to cross dress, but now advertising does determine what I buy (styles, colors, etc. ).
    Stephanie

Quote Originally Posted by Stephy View Post
    I don't know about it being subliminal advertising, but I do think that the way fashion marketing and shopping malls cater so much more for females does have an influence. What is there of interest to the average male in a mall? A few mens clothing stores and dept stores with small mens sections, maybe a small hardware store and bottle store if you're lucky. The rest is all ladies clothes, ladies accessories, girly ornaments etc. etc. As a male you don't get to enjoy 80% of what's on offer. When you crossdress it opens up a whole new range of fun experiences. I think the pull to crossdress would be smaller for me if it were reversed and ladies clothing only made up 20% of the merchandise.
    I think Stephy hit on it. The shopping malls are almost exclusively female needs and desires. I would be curious to know what the ratio of floor space used to sell female clothing is to men's clothing. What great interest is there in selling something that just barely changes in design and is devoid of any pastel colors ( think men's wear). I know men that buy their clothes just like you buy a part for a car. There is no interest except that it is something that I need to do. Whereas the shopping malls are just full of life, color and fantasy. What girl didn't dream of being a princess?

not for me, curious, tried on, hooked !!! i dressed like a girl and i like it
    ....Mykell
    i dressed like a girl and i liked it! crossdressing...theirs an app for that

Perfectly Strange... Christine Andrews's Avatar
    Initially, I was going to say no but if we classify catalogues as advertising I would definitely have to answer yes.

The women's section of the catalogue certainly opened my eyes and fired my imagination. I would have to say that it encouraged me to act on the curiosity that was already there.
    “A truth that's told with bad intent
    Beats all the lies you can invent.”
    ― William Blake, Auguries of Innocence

Quote Originally Posted by barbie lanai View Post
    Even Elmer Fudd could look good in a dress.
    I like that

While I recognize many of the advertising campaigns I have to say that they didn't not have an effect on my crossdressing. I wanted to dress from seeing the clothing on the women around me.

Perhaps the Michael Salem ads in the raunchier men's magazines ...

Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    Just as much as car commercials made me want to be an automobile.... and at 7 I don't think I was watching much TV.... Saturday cartoons.... I never saw Might Mouse wearing a dress....
    But... Bugs Bunny was another story!

Deedee
    It's not wrong... but it is forbidden!