Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How important is your hair?

I am constantly amazed at how hair changes a person's look. A few of my kids grade school teachers change their hair often and when I go for parent teacher interviews I never remember them...takes me a few minutes to reconcile their facial features. I think if you have a very good natural looking wig it can be the deciding factor in how you are received.
    Chickie

Platinum Member
    aside from the aforementioned value of "hair" in defining or completing a convincingly feminine look, I really want my hair (wig) to look as natural as possible and as appropriate for someone as possible.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

A lady in the making..... Erica Marie's Avatar
    To me hair is one of the most important things. Maybe its just me but wearing a wig makes me feel like I am just wearing a costume. Till the day my hair grows out to the point that I can style it I may never feel comfortable
    Erica

The difference between a "guy in a dress" and "presentable/passable" is 90% the hair. A cheap wig is just that--CHEAP and will look it. An ill fitting or poorly styled wig shouts man in a dress.

My point--the hair is very important. It is one of the first things to be noticed by both men and women.

If you plan on going out in public, and you don't like the stares and snickers, put your money into your hair. That means a proper wig fitting at a shop, and knowing how to style and wear it.

Jodi

My hair is important to me as my head is very lumpy. I think I spend more time in male mode fussing with it. I use both my own hair and wigs in girl mode depending on the look I want that day. Jaymee
    I enjoy being a boy, being a GIRL like me!!!

My hair is a very important part of my presentation. It is something that helps create the overall "look".
    I don't fuss with it all the time, especially in public, but like my Visa, "I don't leave home without it".
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    When you say not to use a cheap wig, I understand but for me Im on a low budget CD since I don't have an understanding wife so I can't spend a lot on clothes not to mention buying a expensive wig. I want to be able to go out enfem with confidence and not just look like a guy in a dress however if I do look like I'm confidant does it matter. I mean yeah I want a nicer wig but it's just not in the budget

The price of the wig does not really matter as much as the "moxie" that goes into fixing it Lee.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Silver Member
    Very important. Tomorrow I have an appointment for a shampoo and blow-dry with curls for my human hair wig. My most frequent outings are to salons for just such services. I wish I had enough hair left to use my own. Great question. To the timid almost all salons are TG friendly. You just need to call and ask if they can help you. Easily 8 out of 10 will welcome you!

I'd say it's a pretty big damn imperative considering the one wig I own seems to look worse and worse every time I wear it.

I'm remined of the Cowsill's song from the 60's ..."HAIR!" (google it if your to young to remember it)

When I transitioned in the 80's my hair was what helped me be "feminine". With a very girly style that was usually down around the bottom of my shoulder blades, at 6ft tall and usually a hint of breast showing no one could even remotely think I was male. When I transitioned back 85/86, a short-cut bob made presenting as either sex difficult but most people began to treat me as a "weird" guy. Back to short "guy" hair and most people treated me like a guy...even tho I had obvious breasts.

Hair is everything to the final presentation

As another bald one, it's really important. With out it, I'm just a guy in a dress, but with one of my many wigs on, even with out makeup, I see a woman. I might still look like a guy in a dress to the rest of the world, but I see her.
    How important, this last summer I bought 5 new wigs just trying to find the one that gave me the feeling that it really looked like it could have grown there.
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.

To me my hair is one of the most important parts of feeling good in public. I'm not sure I could go out and be comfortable if I had to wear a wig. I tried it before I grew my hair out and I felt very self conscious. My hair is now past my shoulders and it gives me a (false?) sense of security.

I am fortunate that I have nearly all of my hair left at 67. I am not fortunate regarding my lack of styling skills, but I can learn.
    When writing the next chapter in your life, start with a pencil and eraser - my first page as Miki is full of eraser marks.

OMG yes, hair is of critical importance. I wish I could grow mine out but it's too thin in spots. (it used to be so pretty)
    "I want you all to call me Loretta." - The Life of Brian

Gold Member
    I love messing with my hair and changing looks. Don't you touch my hair!

You bet!! I have been trying to find the perfect wig for a long time...

My advice to everyone is this:
    If you don't have a full head of hair, or your situation doesn't permit you to grow long hair, then spend your money on a really good wig.

If you are fortunate to grow your own hair, then DO IT. .....I did, and am still doing it.

Hair is a woman's number one fashion accessory.

Well gee, I love hair so much, I'm making a new career out of it. So there!
    Life is an endless struggle full of frustrations and challenges, but eventually you find a hairstylist you like.

Hair is probably more important than makeup. I have let my hair grow for nine months now and it keeps looking better all of the time. It is also accepted when I am my regular guy self. Lot's of men have long hair now. When I am 'Diane' I just let it go wherever it wants to. More fun that way.
    Diane78

Lady in Being (7/20/17) AmyGaleRT's Avatar
    I'm fortunate to be able to wear my own hair. It's after I've finished my face, and I take down my hair and start brushing it out, that I really see Amy emerge in the mirror.

It's getting about halfway down my back by now; I plan to let it keep growing if possible. I also like hair accessories such as headbands and barrettes, and have a whole case full of them.

- Amy
    Amy Gale Ruth Bowersox (nee Tapie) - "Be who you are, and be it in style!"
    Member, Board of Trustees, Gender Identity Center of Colorado
    aka Amelia Storm - Ms. Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2018-2019, Miss Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2015-2016

I'm growing my own hair out right now, so it is definitely growing in importance for me. Since I'm having to take care of it and all, makes you think about it more.
    I've now started to notice sometimes when I pull it back or flip it a certain way it looks really feminine and I do a double, then triple then quadruple take in the mirror. I LOVE seeing that slight flair of femininity in my hair!

I definitely agree that hair is one of the most important things to me. Even when I notice GG's, one of the first things I look at is their hair. It is typically one of the first things I notice about myself when dressed, and until recently I would see a buzz cut and it always made me sad. As others have said, you just look like a boy in a dress. Not that there is anything wrong with that. I would just rather look like a girl in a dress...
    Finally decided on a name! Lindsey

"Let us step into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure."
    J.K. Rowling

My wig is very important and I wouldn't ever consider going out without it. In male mode I prefer to have short hair -- I need it to keep up my "professional" look, and also my natural hair just doesn't look that good when it's long. It gets wavy, curly, greasy, gets in my eyes, and is more of an annoyance that doesn't even look good. I also have somewhat of a receding hairline and am pretty sure I'll be bald at some point. So with that in mind, it's more productive for me to get used to wearing wigs than to try to do anything with my natural hair, and I'm perfectly fine with that.
    Back on the forums! But still very much closeted.

Very important for my self-image. Although I have yet to go fully CD(and I don't have the funds to right now), I've always wanted long hair of some kind, because let's face it...it is the ultimate symbol of feminity(hope I don't get in trouble with that statement).

I have been very blessed and still have shoulder-length natural hair. O.K., not exactly "natural" as I've taken finasteride for many years in order to keep it.

Once a month I spend a couple of hours at the beauty salon having it colored, trimmed, and styled.

Every day it takes about 10-15 minutes to spritz it with protective heat tamer spray, shape it with a curling iron or hot rollers (way longer if I use the hot rollers), spray it, comb it, and flounce it.

I dread every strand that comes out in the shower or that I find on my comb.

So yes, Kate, I'm high maintenance and my hair is very important to my appearance and presentation and to my self-concept.

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).