Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: dressing our age

dressing our age

I am seing a lot of cd's out there that have a tendency to dress a lot younger than they actually are. I believe the best way to dress to pass is to dress your age. There is no bigger giveaway when trying to pass as an older gurl in a short niniskirt and 6 inch heels

While I firmly believe in 'To each her own', I have to agree. Have fun, present any way that makes you feel good, but don't come home and post on the 'net about not being accepted.

TrueNorth Strong & Fierce Princess Chantal's Avatar
    I wouldn't "pass" so I tend to dress the best way to have fun and satisfy my own crossdressing wants.... Don't give a care what other people think! So the best way for me to crossdress is to not stress out about dressing my age or how other people dress.
    Last edited by Princess Chantal; 11-19-2013 at 10:17 AM.

I agree that the best way to pass is to dress appropriately for your age AND for whatever location/event you are visiting. But at the same time, I don't think everyone is always trying to pass. They might just be wearing something they find fun or cute. If they're just dressing at home, passing isn't really a big deal.
    GG married to a CDer

I tend to dress in a way that makes me comfortable which is pretty much conservative which is my own choice. In any case, we should all be prepared for second looks and double takes by others if something seems out of place.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

I think you should dress for the occasion an dress for the age you appear, sometime being in girl mode can take about 20 years off in appearance
    Carpe Noctem

Cheyenne Hyde

"You may never exceed, your own expectations, of yourself"

http://s46.photobucket.com/user/MsHyde2u/library/
    (the password is feminine)

I know what you mean. I like 50s/60s inspired stuff so maybe dress a little older!
    "I don't think there's anything worse than being ordinary" - Angela, American Beauty.

My Flickr- http://www.flickr.com/photos/107605787@N08/

you are absolutely correct Mss Hyde.....I not only look younger when i dress but feel younger also .

I always dress a bit older just in case i miss the mark. For me it's about not being noticed in public and it is becoming quite an adventure

I agree, but in the end it's all just make-believe (on the cross-dressing side of things anyway) and Catholic schoolgirl fantasies or French housemaid fantasies are about as valid as 'vanilla woman' fantasies. If 'passing' is a concern, then so is your appearance obviously.

Since I'm not out except on the farm yes my animals have seen me but if you feed them they could care less. Here's my thought on that I will dress to please me. My wife loves me and says have fun with it but just don't embarrass the family. So I tend to think I am still a youngster so I dress like one. Mini skirts and tight tops. Takes me forever to walk in my 6 " heels to the barn so I just. Play at the house in them. At my age all I'm pleasing is my wife and myself. I do have to agree though that with the proper makeup I can look younger.

My problems is my mind is about 25 years younger than by body. I seem to be stuck with a mindset of a mid 20's woman.. but the mirror keeps lying to me. ..

"A glass of wine anytime" rachaelsloane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MssHyde View Post
    I think you should dress for the occasion an dress for the age you appear, sometime being in girl mode can take about 20 years off in appearance
    I've got to agree with Cheyenne about girl mode making one look up to 20 yrs. younger. I go out quite regularly in SF and the majority of the time the person(s) I'm talking to assume I am in my late 40's, early 50's. What really blows them away is when I tell them I have a 43 yr. old daughter and two grandkids.
    Regarding dress, I do dress to the occasion and wear a minimal amount of makeup.
    " I love the life I live and I live the life I love"

Banned Read only
    and now let the chorus of "who are you to tell me what to wear?!" and "I shouldn't have to dress like a grandma," begin.

Funny how such rational advice, given many, many times before, will be vilified. As if age appropriate and frumpy are the same thing.
    Last edited by Jenniferathome; 11-19-2013 at 05:13 PM.

I probably dress younger than I should, really short skirts, but I know what you mean. I once saw a woman in a frilly purple chiffon cocktail dress, big silver heels too. Beautiful outfit, thing is it was in the middle of the day in a supermarket. When I got closer I realized it was a CD and wow, did she stand out.

Banned Read only
    For me, I like to dress younger to fantasize about the life I never had. When I do dress younger, I never leave the house. When I want to go out in public, I try to blend in.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenniferathome View Post
    and now let the chorus of "who are you to tell me what to wear?!" and "I shouldn't have to dress like a grandma," begin.
    In all fairness, there are plenty of women who say the same things

I am 51 yrs old, my curse when I was younger was that I always looked much younger than my age when I was 18 yrs old I looked like I was 14, by 21 I looked like a 16-17 yr old, I was routinely carded even into my early thirties, well its a blessing now, most people who meet me when I am dressed figure me for 35 or so, I always emulated and admired well dressed women in nice dresses, skirt sets, and especially sharp business suits with a great pair of pumps and coordinating accessories. I do feel much younger and alive when I am dressed, even to the point that my slight limp from sports injuries is non existent when I am strolling around in my heels, I stay away from outfits designed for older women, as my wife or others would say it made me look "frumpy". I do agree with the others who stated that many cds looked 15-20 yrs younger when dressed. I also agree that there is a place for the club wear and short leather miniskirts and cfm pumps, but usually I am out about grocery shopping and stopping in other stores etc so I try to look appropriate.

I accept myself as is Gillian Gigs's Avatar
    The question is, "do you want to stand out"? To dress in a fashion that says, I want to blend in, would be to consider being age appropriate IMHO. Lets face it everyone can spot the "cougar" at the bar by the way she is dressed. Look at how many 14 to 19 year old girls dress to get the attention of the boys. Not wanting to get into the whys, of why we dress, but what is the motivation when a CD goes out? Is it to get noticed, or to blend in? Hunters wear camo while they in the bush because they don't want to be noticed, so is dressing in an age appropriate fashion a type of camo when a CD goes out in public???
    I like myself, regardless of the packaging that I may come in! It's what is on the inside of the package that counts!

Just a touch of class Lynn Marie's Avatar
    I dress to pass. Now if all these idiot drivers would just get out of my way!

I think Gillian may be right about camo, age approprate dress to blend is a form of camo, but is that not what most of us do in drab?? I agree that a good make up job will take 15-20 years off so then for me age approprate is mid 50's instead of 72, at least I hope so. Your en femme appearance is much affected by your choice of wig color , length, and hair style, soooo how old do you feel/want to appear?? your choice, as it has been said, do what is satisfying and have fun, Bria

Yes I agree,when in public I dress my age. I save the mini shirt and 5 inch heels for home.

Screw dressing my age... acting my age... or even admitting my age....

wear what you want.... wear what makes you happy.... except womens jeans... lol. for a group that breaks all the rules why follow this one?
    Last edited by Karren H; 11-19-2013 at 01:13 PM.
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

I agree. Some crossdressers seem to have an obsession with six inch heels and skirts that barely cover their crotch. If you dress like that, take some photos and see how silly you look.

I try to dress like a genetic woman in my age group, especially if I go out in public. There's nothing that screams "crossdresser" louder than inappropriate clothing and shoes.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

Exclamation I'm really old, so---

When I'm out dressed at a vanilla venue I dress to "blend". But, I don't like it because I hate wearing granny clothes!

I'm a closet dresser. So, I'm used to dressing to please NO ONE BUT MYSELF. With NO LIMITS. That's what crossdressing is all about for me!

IMG_1181 (2) (569x640).jpg
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!