Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do we feel vulnerable?

Gone to live my life

Why do we feel vulnerable?

Only recently beginning to present in public, I am still plagued by that paranoid monkey sitting on my shoulder saying "run, run . . . the pitch forks are coming" . . . stupid monkey can really put a damper on my day not to mention my shopping experience . Now this got me thinking . . . Why should I be paranoid? I have accepted the fact that people will see me as a guy in women's clothing. With the exception of a few rude comments by small minded individuals, nobody has run over and yelled "Ahh . . . Tranny get him!!!" and , for the most part all my interaction with SAs and others has been positive.

My wife and I were talking about this the other day and she said something that resonated "Welcome to the world of feeling vulnerable" . . . I was a bit intrigued by the statement and asked her what she meant. She said that women feel vulnerable to a certain degree when out and about and it is likely I am experiencing some of that vulnerability. This could be based on how you feel you look, what you are wearing or just being accepted for who you are. So this got me thinking . . . Why do we (CDers) feel vulnerable?

Now some of you will say "Duh . . . obvious, dude in a dress among the world". But then again, I don't want to direct this question to the obvious and definitely not only those of us who go out but to everyone. Do you feel more vulnerable dressed en femme than en boy? Here is my take on this subject:

Now obvious aside "I am a guy in a dress" taking an introspective approach, I do feel somewhat more vulnerable when dressed en femme more than when I am "en boy". Specifically, I am wearing girl clothes when society says this is not right and this can leave me open to scrutiny, rudeness or potentially violence. I can accept that and should violence ensure I like to think I can take care of business. Now I hold no illusion of a Steven Segal moment and me taking on 15 knuckle draggers and coming out unscathed. However, one or two bad apples would not be an issue. Then again, I have not had violence in any manner pushed in my direction. So even though I may be wearing girl jeans and pretty lingerie underneath, I am still a guy who has the ability to defend himself when required. So . . . if it is not how I am dressed, then why do I feel this vulnerability?

I thought about it some more and I believe it has to do with my wanting to be accepted for who I am. When I am "en boy" I don't have to win acceptance, I am a guy, people see a guy so my life goes on without issue. However, when I am "en femme" acceptance is not so forth coming. People see guy in women's clothing and I get some odd stares. However, I find my vulnerability is directly proportional to my acceptance gauge. For example, the other day I was out with a GG friend in the mall and we stopped for Starbucks and the girl at the counter said "How are you today ladies". Now, I know she was being kind but it normalized the experience and you know what, my vulnerability dropped. However, shortly afterwards while sitting down and chatting in Starbucks, a family came in and the teenage daughter was pointing me out to her mother and father and all were sharing a bit of a laugh at my expense . . . vulnerability level went up. Later when in a lingerie shop the SA treated me like any other GG so vulnerability dropped again.

Now this does not only translate to me being out. Before taking the plunge and going out I used to dress en femme at home to practice presentation. When I looked in the mirror and said to myself "you look good, not passable but good" I felt less vulnerable and these days were the impetus for me feeling like I could go out in public. On other days, I would look at myself and say "not in a million years and world will eat you alive" . . . vulnerability up and no desire to go out.

Just curious what others opinions/experience are?

Hugs

Isha

You ever tried running in six inch heels!!!! ha, ha!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

well you look great, so no worries.

Aspiring Member
    Interesting that you, with your strong military background, would ever feel vulnerable. Perhaps shows that there's more to crossdressing than just putting on a nice dress. It changes something within ourselves as well.

Ineke

Quote Originally Posted by Isha View Post
    However, shortly afterwards while sitting down and chatting in Starbucks, a family came in and the teenage daughter was pointing me out to her mother and father and all were sharing a bit of a laugh at my expense . . . vulnerability level went up.

Just curious what others opinions/experience are?

Hugs

Isha
    Yeah its hard to take the high road and not have the middle finger go up in these situations.

I've gone into several businesses and have been treated so well that I come out feeling on top of the world. But then I have those moments when I say to myself, "you're a dude in a dress and that's that.

I was outside a hotel a while back and a bunch of young adults went walking by, men and women, about 15 of them. One of the kept saying out loud as they went by, "that's a guy" and repeated it 3 times. I said out loud, "no kidding Einstein but actually I'm a woman trying very hard to look like a man."

I still felt a bit down but I said to myself keep your thick skin on!

Negative comments often hurt in any context (from students about class, from family about food, etc) especially when you feel you tried hard - some of this comes from being field dependent (looking to others for validation)

Just a touch of class Lynn Marie's Avatar
    Women often feel vulnerable because they are! They are the "weaker sex" and often feel that difference acutely. A big part of a woman's attraction to a man is his ability to protect her. Those of us who are "big boned girls" may run into harassment on occasion, but our smaller sisters who actually pass experience the same vulnerability as women!

Banned Read only
    Isha, you have simply substituted the word embarrassed for vulnerable.

No one wants to be embarrassed, ever. If you trip and fall in public, you feel a brief moment of embarrassment even though everyone has had this happen to them, as an example. That embarrassment fades quickly. Your coffee shop example fits here. I think you are over thinking this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn Marie View Post
    Women often feel vulnerable because they are! They are the "weaker sex" and often feel that difference acutely. A big part of a woman's attraction to a man is his ability to protect her. Those of us who are "big boned girls" may run into harassment on occasion, but our smaller sisters who actually pass experience the same vulnerability as women!
    OMG get a clue already, what a load of crap. We aren't the weaker sex, get real!! We have the balls to actually dress how the hell we like and there is no such thing as 'big boned' try actually reading the information, even with a large skeleton, it has ZERO impact on your actual size, it's called 'being overweight'!!!
    Administrator

Missing my Libra babe Sherlyn, I hope she's rocking up there with the angels
    Missing our Rianna, doesn't seem right, gone to early, hope she's partying with Sherlyn

Just a touch of class Lynn Marie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara Croft View Post
    OMG get a clue already, what a load of crap. We aren't the weaker sex, get real!! We have the balls to actually dress how the hell we like and there is no such thing as 'big boned' try actually reading the information, even with a large skeleton, it has ZERO impact on your actual size, it's called 'being overweight'!!!
    LOL, back at ya! Try getting over yourself and actually talking with a woman some time.

LOL, back at ya! Try getting over yourself and actually talking with a woman some time.
    I am a woman and obviously I talk to women all the time, seeing as my girls are women, my mum is a woman, work colleagues are women... you're not a woman, get over yourself!
    Administrator

Missing my Libra babe Sherlyn, I hope she's rocking up there with the angels
    Missing our Rianna, doesn't seem right, gone to early, hope she's partying with Sherlyn

i was chatting with my therapist about this a few weeks ago, I think being out leaves us outside of male privledge, and no+ quite part of ladies privledges. so, yeah a bit of caution is not a bad thing

Banned Read only
    When I went shopping 2 weeks ago I feel I experienced the same thing you described as far as the positive. All the SA's were somewhat great, helpful, friendly, and professional. I was in DSW and there was a mother with 2 daughters, the younger of the two, I will guess she was probably 7 or 8 was kinda looking at me not with an ignorance but it seemed more of a curiosity! I didn't feel vulnerable and I just smiled at her the few times we made eye contact while passing in the aisles. I know for myself that if I dwell on the what if's, self consciousness, fear of violence, ignorant people making rude remarks, who is looking at me funny, and so on...... I wouldn't want to go out of the house. That sounds more vulnerable to me. I feel as if I have control over me when I go out dressed in public and I also do so in as fearless and oblivious mindset as to not worry about what anyone is going to think, say, or react to me being dressed. In my opinion that is probably the best way not to draw any unwanted attention, I focus on ME so I probably see a lot less of all the vulnerable things you mention

Two things, you are wrong as to strong vs weak, especially in the modern world... Second thing, you have been here 3 years and you don't know Tamara? Let me introduce you.

In RE: OP, I didn't feel vulnerable when I started going out. Scared maybe but I thought I had the world by the tail. I was 6 feet tall, 200 pounds, wiry but quick. That changed almost a year ago when I actually had to physically subdue a male. No I wasn't out matched strength wise, but I was shall we say exposed. He fought in a way took advantage of my presentation, pulling the skirt of my dress up several times. THAT is feeling vulnerable. Like everyone can see what you have under the clothes. I agree with Jennifer, it is often more embarrassment because we have our own issuyes about being in public we have to work through.

Today, I am more vulnerable. I am more aware that when I am on the street, that I am a target. I am the one who, even when others are around, is obvious. Size doesn't matter. Because of societal gender stereotypes, I am now more visual especially to those who do target others. Also emotionally now I am more vulnerable, things hurt more when said. As a male, I was walled off to prospective partners, now I am open and now I have been hurt more frequently. But that is probably not so much because of my dressing but more my learning to navigate a new life
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

I am always on the defensive looking around my circumstance and aware of where my vulnerabilities lie.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Valnerability/embarresment, I think is more acutely felt when we are young and dimishes with age. When one reaches the point of saying, "I don't care what others think of me" then the valnerability/embaressment level goes way down, this however does not mean that the physical strength/size issue disappears, so Isha poses a question that has as many different answers as there are to answer it. It seems that Isha, the social scientist, always has a way of making us all think a little deeper than we have in the past. Thanks Isha for bringing forth such an interesting and provocative question!! Bria

Isha, Thanks for sharing on this. interesting, but a bit scary topic. I think there is truth to what every one wrote. Lorileah, thanks for sharing so deeply. I also feel that as a male, i have had little or no chance for romance and relationship, but as Alice, I get lots of attention from admirers. It is sad, that men are not needed much anymore, but as a CD good looking long tall lady, i receive offers for love. Vulnerability greatly increase as Alice, and fear of disasters with wrong men. I am in guy mode 95% of the time, living a lonely, life. There are sure hazarde to being male, but also hazards to being out dressed as a lady, and hazards to GG's. Differing hazards. With the "knockout game" violence going on in cities, now, it just got more hazardous for all.

I think that your point about acceptance and “vulnerability” being indirectly proportional to each other is on the mark. There probably is a deep evolutionary component of people desiring acceptance by others that has made man such a social animal. Cross dressing still has such a big negative stigma associated with it and that is why we feel vulnerable.

Sometimes it is hard to see the forest from the trees. The link below shows vulnerability and acceptance in a different context. It applies to us and others who feel vulnerable.

http://www.upworthy.com/the-simple-b...of-hate?c=upw1

Replacing “acceptance” with “positive” reinforcement is another way of looking at vulnerability. One feels less vulnerable when one gets positive reinforcement and more vulnerable when getting negative reinforcement. Enough positive reinforcement makes one feel invincible and constant negative reinforcement can drive one to suicide. Check out the book, Whale done! The Power of Positive Relationships, by Ken Blanchard Yes it is about whales.

I am more vulnerable now. Since coming out to my wife, sister and mother, and several friends I have stripped away some protection. I now get hurt instead of angry. It seems like my real self is out on display. I can't protect her anymore.
    However, I really prefer to be this way. The reward of relationships is higher when I am more authentic.

As far as vulnerability in being out, I don't think of it that much. I concentrate on the elation I feel being out as a woman. I have also never experienced any really negative reactions to me as a woman. If that happens I may have a different perspective. At this point I expect to be either treated well or ignored. I hope that expectation never changes.
    Suzanne

Women often feel vulnerable because they are! They are the "weaker sex" and often feel that difference acutely. A big part of a woman's attraction to a man is his ability to protect her.
    Oh for gods sake this is the 21st century, we're not the weaker sex nor do we need a man to protect us, but hey I'm only a GG so what would I know.
    Sandra
    Administrator

I always used to rib you about your legs can't anymore. R.I.P Sexy Legs

R.I.P Rianna

Relaxed at McDonalds for a coffee
    2 weeks ago
    3 teenage boys got overly lippy
    I had a sudden personality flip
    They chose to leave before getting hurt
    Another personality flip
    Sat down and relaxed with coffee
    Other patrons passed with pleasant comments

vulnerable - not really
    Subject to ridicule - while it's funny, but once it gets nasty, so do I.
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz

They are the "weaker sex"
    That is totally sexist. This kind of thinking fuels all sorts of prejudice, including racism, homophobia, and transphobia.

Those of us who are "big boned girls" may run into harassment on occasion, but our smaller sisters who actually pass experience the same vulnerability as women!
    Who says you can't pass if you're tall or plus-size. Passing as a woman has far more to do with attitude, feeling, confidence, dressing appropriately, talking, mannerisms, than it does with your size. A thin 5'3 CD can be read as a dude in a dress if he acts like one, and a 6'2 plus-size CD can be read as a woman if she acts like a lady.
    I've finally mastered the art of making salads. My favorite is a delicious Mediterranean salad.

I think that most of us would admit to feeling more vulnerable when en femme. That is likely a very good lesson as to how GGs often feel. There are, I am sure, some women who do not feel vulnerable at times. But, I suspect that most have had such experiences.
    Hugs, Carole

Like most intelligent GGs, I avoid places where I am physically vulnerable. What's the fun in a late-night walk through a bad neighborhood if I'm having to be on guard all the time? I'd get no pleasure in relating a tale here about having to "man up" to "trash some bozos" while en femme. Resorting to aggressive male behavior to me is an admission of failure. There are so many places where I can go and enjoy myself in public with safety that I see no point in living dangerously.

Most of the time the only vulnerability I feel while out is to my pocketbook!
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

I think for me I have put myself in a vulnerable position because of my own desire to dress, but unwillingness to "come out".
    Every time I dress, buy something keep clothes hidden or take a pic dressed, I risk loosing all the things I seek to keep by being closeted. It is a scary life, but of my own making. Maybe when I am a bit older I can be "senile" and no one will care.