Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Something In-between: A GG Perspective on Partial Dressing

Something In-between: A GG Perspective on Partial Dressing

Something In-between: A GG Perspective on Partial Dressing

“My husband is beautiful as a man or a woman,
    but unbelievably beautiful when he’s something in-between.”

--Helen Boyd, My Husband Betty

I have heard many crossdressers say that being fully en femme is the only experience that truly satisfies them. Their desire is to appear as a woman—with a wig, makeup, breast forms, and perhaps even a corset and padding to complete the feminine image. Some feel so strongly about this that they prefer to dress completely or not all; they find no comfort in wearing a pair of panties and a bra under their male clothing, or adding a few girly details to their masculine appearance for an androgynous look, or simply being a man in a dress. When they look in the mirror, they want to see the illusion of a woman looking back at them, not a man in women’s clothes. When they dress, they want to become someone feminine, someone beautiful--in short, someone else.

Well, each to his—or her—own. There is no call for the antagonism that seems to exist within our community between partial dressers and the “all or nothing” crowd. I understand that some are disturbed by images of crossdressers who make no effort to look female, but I don’t personally share their distaste – and neither do most of the wives and girlfriends I know. In fact, the majority of SOs find it easier to relate to their partner as a guy in girls’ clothes than as a “complete” woman.

Very few of us genuinely perceive our partners as women anyway, even when they are fully dressed. For us, the illusion of femininity that crossdressers see when they look at themselves is invariably undermined by the familiar features and gestures of the man we know so well underneath the clothes. In other words, as far as your wife is concerned, you don’t pass. Does that make you less appealing to her? Probably not. It is your male self she is attracted to, after all. As Kathy GG said about her husband in a recent post, “I don't think of him as a woman and I doubt I ever will. I find him sexy and attractive regardless of what he has on. There is not one version of him which I find 'better', I love all that he is equally.”

I do understand that there is a special thrill in “going all the way.” Angel loves the experience of being fully en femme, and I love to help him achieve a womanly appearance. Assisting him with clothing, jewelry, accessories, and makeup is something I take great pleasure in. Spending time with Angel en femme, whether we go out or have a “girl’s night in,” is very special and rewarding for me. But both of us agree on one point: no matter what Angel is wearing, he—or she—is always the same person. True, when fully dressed, Angel’s feminine characteristics are more obvious and exaggerated. But Angel’s femininity is always present, even without the clothes. It is simply expressed in different ways and to different degrees depending on the circumstances. When Angel is en femme, she is still Angel. There is no “third person” in our marriage.

Perhaps it is because we don’t see Angel as having two distinct identities that we both enjoy seeing him dressed in a way that blurs traditional gender lines. You can call it partial crossdressing, androgyny, gender blending, or any other name you like, but it amounts to being an obvious genetic male dressed in women’s clothes. For example, it is common for Angel to wear women’s jeans, tennis shoes with pink accents, satin-trimmed t-shirts, and women’s cardigans as his normal, everyday clothes. He wears a bra and panties every day, as well as various other undergarments such as camisoles and pantyhose. He may also wear a necklace and earrings, a ladies’ watch, perfume, subtle makeup, and pale nail polish.

However, there is no way he could be mistaken for a woman when wearing these outfits. He appears as what he is: a feminized male, or as I affectionately call him, a girly boy. At home he often wears a blouse and skirt without making any attempt at a complete transformation, and I don’t think it looks silly at all. It may not be what most of us are used to seeing, but if the clothes look attractive on a woman, why can’t they look attractive on a man? Granted there are limits on what a man can wear in public without creating a stir, but that has very little to do with what looks inherently good or bad. It is, rather, a reflection of Western society’s insistence on a rigidly bi-gendered world.

There are some crossdressers who wouldn’t dream of displaying their femininity without simultaneously hiding their maleness, and I respect their preference. But I see it as a wonderful thing that Angel can show on the outside what he is on the inside, even when in male mode. I have always encouraged him to integrate his femininity into his male persona, and the mixed-gender style of dressing is an obvious way to do that. Nearly all of Angel’s clothes are women’s, but some are conspicuously feminine while others--including the ones he wears to work--are more gender neutral. This gives him a lot of freedom regarding his day-to-day appearance, which spans the entire continuum from drab to drag. The only thing he never looks like is a manly man. Ask him and he will tell you that he would rather die than wear a plaid flannel shirt.

I’d like to think that my acceptance has helped Angel to feel more comfortable with mixing masculine and feminine signals. Besides the fact that it seems psychologically healthy to strive for the integration of both genders into one’s identity, I also happen to find it attractive. Very attractive. Okay, downright irresistible. Ever since I can remember, I have been drawn to effeminate men. In my teenage years, those 80’s New Wave icons with their arched eyebrows, ruffled blouses and lipstick used to make me weak in the knees. I have an aversion to rugged masculinity and actually feel disgusted by body hair, big muscles, and tough guy attitudes. On the other hand, I am not a lesbian and don’t feel attracted to members of my own sex. What I like is being able to see, simultaneously, the man within the woman and the woman within the man. It reminds me that I am married to a guy who is delightfully different. I hope Angel knows that I love him whether he looks male or female…..but I’m glad he also feels free to be something in-between.
    Last edited by Marla GG; 01-02-2006 at 02:32 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

And if the people stare
    Then the people stare
    Oh, I really don't know and I really don't care....

--The Smiths

Brilliant piece Marla. As usual.

I couldn't have said it better!!!

BTW...may I print it out and show my wife????

lol... sorry... but I forgot to say...

THANK YOY! Very nice article...well written...and it is so true... so very true
    Last edited by DanaJ; 01-02-2006 at 03:23 PM.

What a deep and thoughtful perspective. You and Angel are very lucky to have eachother.

Amy

something in betwen

I love what you are saying and I also blend my femine side with my male side . I wear a bra and panties every day even to work but I have to wear a uniform at work and wish they had more femine tops as for the pants I bought me some womens jeans

Smile

very well said i love to wear my bra and panties everyday makes me fell good about myself. i wish that my wife had the same feeling as you. the two of you are very lucky to have each other

Bravo!

fantastic piece Marla!!!!

it reminds me of a piece i posted a few weeks ago, i think its very relevant here so ill give you the link to the thread:

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...ad.php?t=17235

things are still good here....in fcat theyre getting better!!

paula x

Marla, I have no idea how you do it, But you did it again. Fantastic post.
    my sister's reply when I told her how I prefer to dress

"Everyone has there thing, all that matters is that you are happy, love what you do and who you do it with"

Must...Buy...Clothes... Katrina's Avatar
    Marla,
    Well said! Angel is a lucky "girly boy".
    -Katrina

It's the shoes...

...putting the "T" in GLBT.

The world would be a better place if everybody learned yoga...

Rated "TG"...for some gender bending

It's a lovely, and extremely well thought out piece, Marla, and I agree with you wholeheartedly!

Although I almost always "go all out" and try to effiminatize (is that a word? ) myself as much as possible, I allow for the fact that there are many degrees of transgenderism and crossdressing in our society and on the forum.

But just as there are prejudices in the rest of society, there are also prejudices within the forum itself, and it makes me wonder where people's heads are. Who cares what someone else wears? I don't want people to judge me for looking the way I do, and I try to give others the same respect.

Anyway -- it's a brilliant piece and thank you!

A very well written and thoughtful piece.

What I tend to forget is that I am seeing myself with the perspective of a straight guy, looking at an image of a 'pretend' female. I like women. I don't like men sexually. I do not like the image of a guy in a frock. It makes me cringe. And the more it is an image of a guy in a frock the more uncomfortable it makes me because I see myself in it and think "Am I THAT revolting?" And yet straight women like men. It obvious and so stupid now I think about it that they see all the man signals, and they are the very ones that make me uncomfortable when dressed.

It's a fascinating subject.

Once again you have done a brilliant & very thoughtful thread, your views are always welcomed

Mind of a Woman, Body of a Man, Life is a Bitch

Thank you Marla

Marla you are a very special person and we thank you and Angel for being able to share your thoughts.

Everyone here is an individual and expresses them selves very differently with in a spectrum of dressing en femme. As those before me have expressed, you have put it in words about Angel very elegantly!
    Clarissa

You will either like it or you won't!

Bunny's submissive girl CharleneCD's Avatar
    As I sit here and type this in my plaid flannel shirt. LOL, I am not kidding. I am not sure why we have such problems with prejudice on this issue on the forum. I have even heard there is alot of it between the TG and TS comunities here in Michigan, with the TS's acussing S/O's of CD's of holding them back from transitioning. I just dont get it. We are all a very unaccepted segment of the world, we should stick together. Whether we dress for sexual reasons, to express a fem side of our personalities, or because we were born the wrong gender, we are all alike in that wearing womens clothes satisfies our needs. Basicly we all crossdress to some extent, even the TS's until they transform. There is also a common bond of not generaly fitting in with society. Even those who do fit in generaly have to work a bit harder.

I can understand a litttle separation between the groups in the threads. I mean I just dont get the idea of getting off just by putting pantyhose on, and the idea of taking hormones and cutting the equipment off gives me the shivers. But I respect the positions of the people that those thing work for. They are my sisters and I will defend their right and need to do it.

This was a good topic Marla. We get enough crap from the rest of the world. We need to ask ourselves why we want to give more to some of our own.
    Charlene

Learn To Love Yourself And You will Find That Others Have Always Loved You But You Can Now Accept It.

I've got to hand it to you again Marla, fantastic post, incredible insight, and a superb command of the english/american language! Like many others here, we wish our own wives/GFs shared your attitude to our desires, but I suppose it's not too easy for most women to see their husbands in female clothing and be as comfortable with it as you are, and I guess if we're fully dressed, made up, wigged and heeled, it may be even more difficult, at least at first.
    As you know, I'm still trying to get my wife to at least talk about her feelings with regard to my CDing (no progress at all for the last 2 months!), so I'm still in the closet. I don't have the full kit yet, but I've smuggled in heels and a proper corset this year, but when I look at myself in the mirror, I'm still not satisfied with the "partial" look; I do want the wig and make-up to complete the picture. However, if I make some progress with my wife, I'll take what I can get, and if it gets into the bedroom, I'd only want the lingerie anyway, the rest would get in the way. Well, perhaps I'd keep the stockings, and maybe the heels for a while, then I'd be a "man-tart"! I've no idea what my wife will ultimately want, or even accept, but I'm trying to find out before I get too old to enjoy it!
    You two are an inspiration to us all. Keep up your superb posts; we can all learn a lot from you.

Thanks also to you Paula and Jane for sharing your experiences with us, I missed it first time around. What a great voyage of discovery you've been on! I'll be saving bath these posts for the discussion with my own wife, if I can only get her past first base!

All the best,
    Tony

Another excellent post Marla....so well thought out and stated! I always enjoy reading posts from both you and Angel...you are so much in love and obviously made for each other!

Hi Marla!

Brilliant as always. ^_^ Thanks for your essay!

I go partial very little because of my situation. Yet I tend to wear nylons, shorts, and polo shirts to work on Saturdays in the summer. The look to me is perfect. It isn't male, isn't female, it's just good. To me that's how I look best. If I could I'd be partial most of the time.
    Stephanie

Mac - It really does Just Work

Marla Do You Have A Sister

Having CD's all my life over the last few years I've come to enjoy myself as just me. Not really sure if there is a third sex, or if it's just some males can enjoy femininity. Perhaps if we lived in another world where anyone could express themselves as they wanted, this board wouldn't exist. Men wouldn't have to feel guilty, shamed or confused. Being a CD is a huge burden to carry for a lifetime. Why the heck is it such a major social crime for a guy to put on lip stick?

Your insight into the mind of a CD is pretty good. It's almost scary.

I admire confidence.

I think "guys in skirts" who could care less what anyone thinks are pretty sexy.

Loads of high fashion designers have been trying to get men in skirt-like wear for years-- even decades. I'm all for it! It doesn't mean Cds won't have a place anymore-- these guys aren't trying to be femme. They're just adding more choices to their wardrobe. Men around the world wear skirt-like garments every day, and have throughout history.

What I don't find sexually attractive is a frumpy look, or a look that is way too young looking, or if it just doesn't look "right".

I do think, however, someone should wear what makes them feel their best, inside and outside. Since you can't ever please everyone, please yourself!

Nothing is more attractive than confidence.
    ....we are all made of stardust

Personally, if robes, skirts, dresses, etc... were socially acceptable norms, I'd wear them all the time. I find Western men's clothing very uncomfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by JennyCD
    I find Western men's clothing very uncomfortable.
    Not to mention boring and repressed!
    ....we are all made of stardust

Quote Originally Posted by susandrea
    Not to mention boring and repressed!
    That too

Kudos to you, Marla. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Quite refreshing!

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

that is a sweet Marla. i hope to let my wife know about bobbie soon, i just hope she is half as accepting as you, angel is very lucky for sure. i am reading my husband betty right now, it is a real eye opener. love bobbie