Thread: First trip into the LGBT community

First trip into the LGBT community

I was told about a drag show at a bar in Bloomington Illinois tonight from an SO at a beauty supply store. She said I should go. I was in my 6 inch heels, leg warmers, sweater dress and grey leggings.
    So I decided why not. I went to the place and had to walk downtown past other bars and stuff to get to the place and I went in. Paid the cover after the door guy asked me if I was one of the performers. I sat down at the bar had a few diet cokes. the performers were just getting there and the performance didn't start for another hour so I left but the cool thing was that all of them that came in made eye contact with me and said hello even though I was no where near there class. Their make up was full on and I only had on lip gloss. LOL.
    My question is how do you fit in with that kind of setting. I will be going back sometime but much later so I can see more people and maybe make some friends.

You should have said yes, you were there to perform. You may have entered for free and got to go back stage!
    Chickie

A missed opportunity there, you may have been a star performer on stage.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

You fit in by being yourself. Anyone that performs on stage usually has a much stronger makeup style so that everyone can see eye shadowed and eye lined eyes. So, with your minimal makeup you may have fit in much better than they did if they were part of the audience versus being on stage in front of everyone.

Congratulations and good luck next time. It appears that you are off to a great start.

It sounds like you fitted in brilliantly already. What prompted the question?

YMMV
    I think you should go back sooner and hang around a while, you'll probably have fun even.
    "In our lives, change is unavoidable, loss is unavoidable. In the adaptability and ease with which we experience change, lies our happiness and freedom."

"My actual gender identity emerged as I healed from the scars of childhood not because of those scars" - Kelly J

Don't worry too much about "fitting in" Hon. Anyone with any amount of class will accept you for who you are.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Sounds fun My wife and I have been invited to some drag shows but haven't had the chance to go. I agree with others, most drag queens wear very flashy and colorful makeup for performance, so your everyday look made you blend in very well at the club.
    "Understanding is the first step toward acceptance." Albus Dumbledore

Hi Cindy

As far as the entertainers go you probably can’t “fit in”. Go to the club often enough and you may make a friend or two among the performers but you in all likelihood you won’t fit in, not unless you become one of the performers. Go often enough and you might get invited back stage and it is entirely possible that you’ll learn a few tricks of the trade.

As Allie pointed out the performers wear exaggerated makeup, often referred to as stage makeup, or in this case drag makeup, so the desired affect can be seen from the back of the audience. Stage makeup doesn’t look natural when seen in normal lighting and anywhere closer than about twenty-yards, but it achieves the illusion on stage that the performers are seeking.

Go back en femme but go back as yourself, don’t try and mimic the performer’s makeup. I’d venture a guess that you don’t have the knowledge or experience to do it right. Secondly the performers might not appreciate it and it’s possible that one or more of them might even think you are mocking them or attempting to upstage them.

Many years ago my Wife and I lived only a few blocks from a Drag Club and we went several times a year. While most of the performers were gay a few were straight. One performer did a fantastic Judy Garland impersonation and we sat with his wife on a couple occasions. It is my belief that performers tend to be a close-knit bunch regardless of whether they are performing in a neighborhood club or in the upper echelons of Hollywood or Broadway stage.

It is not uncommon for the performers to include (pick on) members of the audience during the show. G en femme and you have an excellent chance of being one of those singled out, just go with the flow and enjoy the attention and don’t be surprised if some of the cast come out and talk to you during the intermission. We took my Wife’s Aunt and Uncle and we were seated right next to center stage front. Since we were known to some of the cast, including both the male and “female” M.C. her Uncle was picked on mercilessly – and he enjoyed every minute of it. At one point the female M.C. bent down and handed him a large feather plucked from a boa and commented that the feather was a tail-feather and that my Wife’s Uncle that he was probably the only white dude in San Diego getting a piece of tail from a black dude in drag. Her Uncle wouldn’t give the feather back and took it back to Michigan.

The best thing about going en femme to a drag club is that you are in an environment that is basically friendly, accept for maybe some good natured teasing from the cast members.
    Babs

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    After reading your post, u sound quite self confident. I can't help wonder why u didn't feel u fit in, Cindy?
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

During the first week in December went to NYC to see Kinky Boots and to a Club called Lips I was drab on both occassions. What was surprising was the number of GGs at both these events. Hopefully women don't think this as only entertainment but are becoming more accepting. I highly recommed both venues!!

Thanks for all the great replies and encouragement. I was a little tired from all the excitement of my evening last night and really did not mean to ask how was I to fit in but how do YOU fit in when you go. I was confident in going in and I would NEVER wear the drag makeup unless I was performing. I am still trying to get down even the slightest eye shadow thing, lol.
    It was the first time I sat in a bar all dressed up and I did not feel uncomfortable and yes I am very disappointed I did not go later but I am not sure they would have been happy to see me perform.. There was a lot of snow here in middle Illinois so I did not go back out. Maybe in a few weeks I can try again.

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    Cindy, what makes you think you weren't part of the show?

My wife and I went to see a drag magician on the strip. The show was great and I complimented the cocktail waitress on how fabulous s(he) looked in the playboy bunny costume. This was a mainstream club and so was the audience. The front row was filled with a group of giggly twenty-something girls in that fabulous LBD, six inch heel, I'm in Vegas look. My wife didn't notice but I could tell two of them were CD. They fit right in and everyone was having a good time. This town is so cool!
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

Banned Read only
    Cindy, just go and enjoy the show. Be your warm wonderful self. What more can anyone ask of you? I am sure you will make many new friends there if you chose too.

Just a touch of class Lynn Marie's Avatar
    So good to hear you got out and enjoyed meeting the DQ's. For the most part, I've always found DQ's fun and gracious and amazingly dressed. I sort of lean towards flashy Rhinestones myself!