Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: When you grew up, did you want to have a career in something feminine?

Quote Originally Posted by LadyInRed View Post
    when growing up, I wanted to be a Chef... but I was under the impression all the great chefs were men
    I did too, I was going the apprentice route. All the female chefs I know are tough as nails, it is a really male driven competitive world, I think that's why I grew tired of it and went back to school. I just wanted to be creative.
    "Understanding is the first step toward acceptance." Albus Dumbledore

Gold Member
    I saw my dad building houses, and the people who moved in them making it their Home.
    At this time of the season with all the decorations and the tree in the window, the fact
    that "MY DAD" built the home they where in.
    So I also became a Carpenter, I built about 3 times the houses he did, with new ways of
    construction, the introduction of the pneumatic nailer, and pre-fab roof trusses, I as a Foreman
    turned over a completed house at the rate of 5 a week. My Dad was Lucky to do 4 a Month.
    So I became a Carpenter, and in my waning years, I gave up running work to building'
    radius stairs and high end trim.
    Rader

I wanted to be a secrete shopper ,,lol,,, Naaaaa jus kidding ,, I wanted to be a Lady PIRATE ,,, lol,,,,

Banned Read only
    OK, I'm going to read the question differently. When I grew up (like right now) I want to be a cocktail waitress in a classy bar or restaurant. Like-wearing sexy dresses, hosiery and heels.

I wanted to be just like my mother; I wanted to be a secretary, a mother, and a woman with a kind and beautiful soul!

I wanted to be a fighter pilot, but poor eyesight ended that dream.

I wanted to be a female spy for the CIA a la the Black Widow in "The Avengers".
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

i wanted to be an architect (pronounced, arch-it-tect) now I'm an unemployed commercial pilot, which automatically makes me a "stay at home mom"

I do find it interesting that most of you all wanted to into men like professions! Truth be told, besides ballet, I wanted to be a singer, a fireman among other thing...
    Finding the other side of me.

I found a decent job with Bloomingdales doing window treatments for eight years but after that much time knew I needed a higher paying job. It was great while it lasted thou. I never truly was set on something really feminine only career.
    SRS January 27

No, every thing I did then and do now, I just wanted to dress feminine, BUT, I havent grown up yet!

I wanted to be Della Street. Then I wanted to be Gidget (no job, but "oh well").
    Being a girl is not for wimps.
    Offense is not a gift. You can't give it, you can only take it.

I wanted to be an airline stewardace Loved the suits and heels

I wanted to work in the cosmetics section at Macy's.

I wanted to 'cowboy'-did it; drive a big rig-did it ; and be a teacher- did it (for 39 years). All jobs could be done by M or F.
    joank
    Southern California

Not me. Heavy equipment mechanic, then special ops soldier turned engineer. My vocation is pure testosterone driven .

Silver Member Stephanie Julianna's Avatar
    I wanted to be a nurse like my big sister. After a turn as a carpenter framing homes, a district manager for CVS, health and beauty aids buyer and head of Pharmacy for Shoprite in New England I quit my job. I returned to college for a second degree and at 45 I got by RN in '94. Dreams do come true.

Actually, I've wanted to be a Scout Sniper in the United States Marine Corps since I was 4. If I didn't have a chronic condition in my knees that makes it very painful to do the kind of rigorous physical tasks that entails I'd have already enlisted.

Nope I wanted to fly jets for the navy. That wasn't going to happen, so I thought about engineering or law.

Ended up in sales and while it was fun, it wasn't for me.

Went into nursing just for job security without the thought of it being a traditionally feminine job. My approach to it is more masculine (I'm a bit paternal with patients, often the muscle on my unit, hair on fire adrenaline junkie, etc) and I've never been happier at a job.

I don't think the perceived femininity of nursing has anything to do with the love I have for my work.

Mostly wanted to be an inventor or something. Ended up as an Engineer...

I think I would like to be a air hostest, get to wear a pretty uniform and get to travel the world.

Bra fitter for Victoria's Secrets
    If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.

When I grew up I wanted to be Janis Joplin. At 57 I should start trying a little harder.
    Love KristyE

( " If you haven't grown up by the time you reach 50, you don't have to " )

I wanted to be a US Army officer. I love how professional the women's Class A uniform looks. I did become an officer but as a male. Over the years of my career I did manage to get a female dress uniform. Of course, since that was before Al Gore invented the internet, I was still thinking I was one of the few on the planet that enjoyed cross dressing.

I wanted to be an explorer, a football player, and later on, a dress designer...