Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: When you grew up, did you want to have a career in something feminine?

I wanted to be a soccer coach for the ladies soccer team but I ended up as an engineer. I still dream of coaching the ladies soccer though. The after match de- briefings would be awesome......Ellie

I once managed to get a part time job as a chambermaid on a USAF base in the UK. The uniform included a tabard with my name and job title embroidered on it.I was in heaven and stayed in the job for nearly two years and only left when the base closed. I have tried to get a similar job since but no luck.

Banned Read only
    I just wanted to be a girl

Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    Nope. I always wanted to be an engineer and I are one.....
    SNAP - but my fantasy was always to be the busty, sexy variety!

I just wanted to be a girl....the career was secondary.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

When I was in my first year of college I did do something feminine while working at a department store over the month of December. I worked in the store's photo studio. The first three or four hours just about every night I would be gathering specified items of clothing and taking them to the models. I would often see the models in various forms of undress. (Never completely naked). Being a young CDer my mind was in super hyper intergalactic overdrive. I especially loved the nights I'd either have to take lingerie out of stock or off the shelves and present these items to the models. The men would have their photo shoots during the day. I felt it a lost night when they weren't photographing. Remember, this was the late 60s when women wore some really super feminine stuff.

I wanted to be a scientist, like Madam Curie, or a mathematician like Emmy Noether. I got my wish (in a much more modest way.)

Had a hard time in school, just want to get through it, became a mechanic then service manger by 22, hurt my back at 36 went to school not my choose push into by my wife. Found I liked it, became a math teacher at a university.

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    Nope. I always wanted to be an engineer and I are one.....
    I think you missed your calling... English Teacher all da weigh, like me!

Actually I wanted to be a hairdresser or a firefighter, two closely related careers. I have over the course of time, managed to do both. But I really missed being in cosmetology class in highschool, with all the girls in their short white uniforms dresses and duty shoes. One year a male took it an he wore a white barber's jacket and white pants with sneakers...cheater.

I'm surprised, considering the average age of this group, that nobody said "Astronaut!" Of course, the path to that is via military aviation and eyesight nixed that for me. After that, engineering wasn't such a bad plan B.

Speaking of ballet, my daughter took ballet lessons for several years and I think the happiest people at the school were the male dancers. They tended to get a lot of attention and they weren't subject to the vicious competition for the good parts that the females were. Yes, they probably took some guff from their peers, but the obvious advantage of their being surrounded by women while the football jocks competed for a few cheerleaders would salve that pain.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Pretty much wanted to be a (medical) doctor while growing up, but that never had any TG connotations. It was just what I wanted to be. Well didn't become a doctor, but did become an engineer that builds lots of medical facilities--so I am close. While I found and fell in love with ballet as an adult (and most certainly as a TG woman as well) I never once as a little boy dreamed growing up of becoming a ballerina or anything like that.

Just for the record, while growing up as a little boy, on the other hand, I certainly did not ever want to or express any desire to be a sports player (I detest most pro sports or what big time college ball sports is all about), and I never considered or had an interest in being a policeman, (generic) soldier, fireman or astronaut---no of the typical normal little boy want to grow up being jobs. So I do wonder if something inside me was naturally setting me up for being the femme person I am today.
    Last edited by Sarah V; 01-04-2014 at 09:28 PM.

Sarah[SIZE="3"][/SIZE]

"Sport is for men.......But Ballet is for women" ---- George Balenchine

I wanted to be a fashion designer when I was really little. However, about a year after that I wanted to be a psychologist like my mom for most of my childhood.

I wanted to be a Princess.
    It hasn't happened yet.

I blame the Disney Movies.

Banned Read only
    I wanted to be a transsexual woman and have to fight for every little thing I got in life but I settled on being an architect.

I always want to do hair all the girl talk and playing with hair and makeup is great. I have cut hair at home but wasn't what I wanted. I wanted the chair curlers all the stuff I still enjoy cutting hair

Cris Fiorella
    Hairstylist, but I was not allowed to, even though I asked. My grandfather was footing some of teh bill for college, so I settled for Art Teacher. Now, after 25 years, I would like to do something different... like teach in a college LOL, or do hair.

As a child there was never one career that I always wanted to go into. I would always be changing my mind. In high school I took an accounting course and decided to be an accountant, which is the profession that I now am in, and have been in for many years.

I now find that approximately 60% of accountants in the United States are women. I think if you looked at accounting departments as a whole and included clerical positions you would find that the percentage of women is a lot higher. So as it turns out I am in a female profession.

As a young child that I never gave it much thought about what it wanted be when I grew up. I just chose a job as a mechanic because that was what my dad did. In my teens I began to have an interest in being a architect. But in the end I got a job as a behaviorist where it is dominated by women.

I never had a specific job in mind, but I always knew I wanted to be successful enough to be able to afford the women's clothes I wanted. Even today that desire drives me more than having a nice house, nice car, etc., even though those things are far more expensive than clothes.

I wanted to be an opera soprano and also a teacher like the female teachers I had in elementary school. As it turned out, I became a high school teacher and still have a love for opera but never got to sing.

Never remember wanting to be anything when I was growing up. But now after almost thirty years in the trades my knees won't take much more and carpal tunnel has taken its toll on my hands. Going in for surgery for my hands but they said I need to find a different type of work. I've colored my wife's and my daughters hair so much I'm actually very good at it. When I go in for my hair, nail or pedi appointments I've often thought how nice it would be to work in a salon. So someday I'm going to go back to school for cosmetology and hair stylist. With a career like this maybe I'll be able to let the fem me out gradually.

I wanted to be a stewardess(mid-1960s). I loved their uniforms!

Just when I was dressed I wished I was a girl and I'd fantasize about becoming an actress or working in a boutique. I was in love with the mail lady we had. I just loved her uniform, a skirt and black tights. Also, working in an office like the movie "Working Girl".

Curiously, out of all the careers choices I've toyed with in my head during school days, I never thought of choosing one over another because of the gender stereotype of them.

At one point as a teen, I thought being a hair dresser would be a good career. I think I might have naively thought it was good money lol. Then I fancied being a fashion designer, again, I can't really remember why. Anyway, ended up as a software developer which my heart was never truly in. But since starting part-time business in wedding photography, now I fancy learning to be a makeup artist.

In theory, there's no reason why I can't become any of those if I really want to. All I have to do is choose one and put my mind to it, and that, is where the problem lies, I can never make up my mind.

Now, if I'm honest with myself, I really fancy starting a business in image/fashion/beauty catering for the TG community, basically a business to help fellow sisters look great.
    Swottie

I've never labeled any jobs and Men's work or Women's work so no. I think there is no reason to label that.

I went from wanting to be a pilot, to being a hair stylist or makeup artist, to computer programing to video game design and I stopped at nursing. To me it is not feminine or masculine it is just doing something that you legitimately love doing.

I love helping people and have seen great men and women nurses (same with doctors, hair stylists, programmers, video game designers and pilots!)
    My sister is even an EMS responder and has dealt with some serious stuff. Maybe my view on it is skewed though because I grew up in a family where no one was really told they should or shouldn't do something based off their gender :3 My dad never stopped my sisters from doing something because it wasn't girly he just wanted us to do what we wanted to do! My parents encouraged us as well because they KNOW that we can and will be what we want :3