Thread: Going to start Therapy

Elizabeth Anne Parsons ellieparsons's Avatar

Going to start Therapy

I'm thinking about starting to see a therapist, I recently came out too two female coworkers, which turned out wonderfully, I want to discover who I am, understand these feelings that I'm havering if they are just a phase or something more than that, which I'm thinking is going to be the case. I'm both nervous and excited about this new phase in my life, I want to learn to be true to myself and love myself, not hiding who I really am.

Gone to live my life
    Hi there. Seeing a therapist can be a good thing as it might help bring order to chaos and make sense of a few things. I have been seeing one for a few months now and she has helped me along in my journey. Good luck.

Hugs

Isha

I think you going in the right direction. I see that you joined in 2006.
    I think it's safe to say that this is more than a phase. If you feel the need to find out more
    about yourself this will be very helpful. I haven't found the need for therapy yet, but have always thought it would be
    interesting to hear what one would have to say.
    Much love,
    Kristyn

I agree, I started going to therapy this year in the Spring and Summer semester thankfully I can take advantage of the services at my University. It has really helped me. I started because I was having a lot of flashbacks from childhood trauma, over time I started to open up about cross-dressing as a child and teen. This is a good opportunity to learn more about yourself like you said. It can be hard at times but it is very rewarding. I wish you the best of luck (hugs).
    "Understanding is the first step toward acceptance." Albus Dumbledore

Just a quick note to say best of luck, I hope the therapy goes well and you find all that you're looking for. I've never been to therapy for cross dressing but I did go after a very unpleasant divorce and i distinctly remember the therapist listening a lot and then just repeating a few key sentences (that i had said) back to me, suddenly the coin dropped, its was incredibly powerful hearing my thoughts spoken by another person, perhaps you already have the answers inside and you just need someone to help you realise those answers are totally ok and are the right answers for you :-)

If you have lingering doubts and have a lot of unanswered questions, a therapist may be of help.
    I hope you succeed in your endeavours.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I think that is a great choice. I started therapy six short weeks ago and it has already started to show me some things about myself that I had chosen to ignore. I hope you have as possible an experience as I have.

Jenn

Smart.

I'm gonna do therapy soon. My employer-provided healthcare covers the session I got coming up. I'm a dude that prefers to dress as female and wears dresses in public, so I hope to get things cleared up.

If you are going to get anything beneficial out of your therapy session it is imperative that you are up-front and honest with your Therapist – don’t lie, don’t hold things back. It is also important that you see the right Therapist, not all Therapists are trained to deal with gender issues, so one of your first questions is “How much training and experience do you have dealing with gender issues.”

I told my Doctor that I was having some gender issues and she referred me to one of the Counselors in her Family Practice Module. I spent a pleasant two-hours with the Counselor and she reported back to my Doctor that what I needed was a Licensed Therapist. My Doctor put through a referral for me to the Psychiatry Department and the Counselor screened several of the Therapists and picked one she thought I would feel comfortable with – that was more than two-years ago. I see Kelly, my Therapist once a month and I look forward to the sessions. My health insurance covers the cost of the sessions except for a $5 co-pay.

Everything said during the sessions is strictly confidential, even my Doctor doesn’t have access to what is said or the Therapist’s notes.
    Babs

Elizabeth Anne Parsons ellieparsons's Avatar
    I want to do the therapy for more than the dressing, i have other issues that i would like help with. The therapists have a background in transgendered help. I want to make 2014 about myself, not to sound self=centered, but i just to really figure out who i am and just make myself a better healthier person.

Silver Member
    I have been going for years for this and other things. The key is to find the right therapist. One you are comfortable with and who is trained in ender related issues. I spent much $$$ and time teaching my therapists in the beginning (they weren't up on gender and are no longer my therpist). Ask them out right about training and experience. Good luck and remember you are hiring someone to help you, not unlike hiring a handyman, ask them if they can do what you aim to accomplish.

I had a very positive experience with my therapist. I felt comfortable with him immediately, he seemed to me (I have good "gay-dar") to be gay or at the least gay friendly, so it took about 5 minutes into the session, after he covered his legally required disclosures, the first thing I said was that I was a crossdresser and need to talk about it. No fussing about or reluctance- I either trusted him or I didn't. I had not walked out, so if i was going to be paying for the session- I wanted my money's worth.

It was a great way to start- he felt good that I trusted him, and we both agreed that getting to the core quickly would help us deal with the ancillary effects and indications sooner and clearer.

I also showed up with a notebook, with some questions and for taking notes. A little controlling I know, but I knew the issues and questions i wanted to ask in order to be able to mull his responses over until the next session.

I know approach is not for everyone, but here is one person you know will not judge you or adversely react to your opening up / coming clean about CD/TG/TS aspects.

One thing for sure- if I could have afforded it, I would have gone more. In fact, if I ever win a lottery- i'll set up a fund with him to cover the majority of the cost of sessions for myself and several other TG clients of his choosing..

Good luck, and remember to take a couple of deep breathes every so often to relax and focus.

Aspiring Member
    Seeing a therapist is a definite must. I've been going for over 2 yrs and it has helped out immensely. (It also makes the wife feel better) Just remember you get what you put into it, being open and honest with your thoughts and feelings is essential. Change doesn't happen overnight, it takes time.

I started seeing a therapist this time last year for depression. I sought out a therapist with specific experience with gender issues. Up front, I told her I was CD and that has begun a very thoughtful, helpful, enabling experience.

In California, LMFTs cannot prescribe medications so she referred me to a psychiatrist who was also experienced in gender issues for medication of my severe depression. After a year of seeing the LMFT and the MD, I started HRT three weeks ago.

I don't want to imply that therapy is a cure all, but in my case it allowed me to unmask some hidden fears and embrace who I want to be.
    When writing the next chapter in your life, start with a pencil and eraser - my first page as Miki is full of eraser marks.

Wow! The thoughts, experiences, and intelligence expressed on this site are invaluable.

Happy New Year!

Janelle

Highly recommended. I went for about eight months and was lucky to be very satisfied with the woman who was my counselor. Unfortunately she moved to another part of the country. It's a great help toward understanding and accepting yourself as well as where you are going with this thing. It also goes a long way toward putting other peoples attitudes about TG people in perspective.

I agree with everyone. I began my sessions back in June and I've been able to this point begin to see how my femme side is ok, that my dressing is ok for me, I don't have to meet anyone's standard of "what a man is supposed to be". I've become to be glad I have this aspect of my personality. I do consider myself 'transgender' as I use the term as an umbrella for gender non-conforming population. My confidence grew to the point where I started to attend my local gender association meetings. It is incredible to be with others of liked mind. I do prefer to cut back on my attendance to the group though, only because the group tends to become very politically active and right now, I do not feel being so openly involved on the political level is what I want. Yet, it is nice to know I can show up from time to time for a community. But, I would have never got to this point without "talking it out" with my therapist.

Good Luck, Hon.

Cassie