Thread: Appointment with Doc

Appointment with Doc

Well, I made my appt. with the doc for my annual physical for Jan. 8. So I've got until then to decide if I go with my panties on and my painted toenails. He has no idea that I do this. Do I go in drab or the way I really want to? I'm a little bit afraid to expose my secret to him. The only people that knew were my wife who passed away and an old girlfriend from about 40 yrs. ago.
    jennigrace

I routinely go the doctor with panties an painted toenails. You doctor is interested in your health, not in your clothing or your toenails. I wear trouser socks instead of pantyhose, because he needs to examine my feet for nerve damage, but otherwise I wear what I normally wear. It's no big deal.

If it's any consolation I just got back from a doctors appointment! I wore a skirt and top with all the trimmings! Have fun!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

Platinum Member
    I always wear panties to exams...nothing over the top - just plain bikinis. I haven't yet discussed my gender identity with my primary care doc....but I suspect the subject will be coming up next time.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

You don't need to go with your panties on, just tell him.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Platinum Member
    Good point, Bev. If your provider needs to know, tell her.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I won't pretend that I have a particularly good answer to your query. A good deal depends upon your personal comfort level with regard to CDing. If you aren't comfortable going even nominally en femme, then just don't do it. It isn't as if your clothing or color of your toenails is going to negatively impact your physical exam. However, if you really want to express your femininity in some way, go for it. You are dealing with a medical professional who will undoubtedly treat you with courtesy and respect in whatever mode you are.

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    I keep in mind what people here sometimes ask, namely, "Why do that? What is the benefit of doing that?".

Not uncommonly this gets followed with warnings about what might get entered into your medical charts and thus made available to your HMO and whoever does contract work for them, and "will follow you around forever". The actual risk associated with this concern varies with different country's medical systems.

Even without the charting / information sharing issues, it is worth thinking about your motive in wanting your doctor to know. One thing you have not indicated here is whether you would be specifically wearing those items to the doctor, or rather whether you would be refraining from specifically changing into "male" stuff to avoid the chance that your doctor would see. Is your intent that the doctor would definitely see, or is your intent to tell your doctor and maybe show him if that seems warranted, or is your intent to "risk" your doctor seeing "a thrill", to have "gotten away with it", or is your intent to risk your doctor seeing because being that way "is you" and you are tired of deliberately hiding it (a different matter than deliberately revealing it) ?

I went to my (then) GP underdressed for years, moving more and more to women's clothes, until I simply didn't wear men's clothes anymore. My (ex-) GP did not notice until I finally said something (he asked a question that by chance required mentioning my cross-dressing to explain my answer); even then he doubted it because he'd never seen me in a skirt or dress. After that I almost always wore a skirt or dress to see him. It was actually medically relevant for him to know, as he was treating me for depression with stress, and this part of my life was certainly causing me stress.

In my case, my (ex-) GP knowing was a relief, that I no longer had to hide being TG from him. And yes, it was also an "opportunity", a place where I could wear my desired clothes. It wasn't the only place, but as I would schedule my appointments on my way to work, I got to wear the clothes from leaving home until I eventually arrived close to work (and then would have to find a place to change to work clothes.) I usually wore skirts or dresses in public in those days if I knew I was going to have time to do more than just wear them for the length of the bus trip between home and work.

For me, my GP knowing was an important step towards "always" being dressed (but not necessarily obviously), stopping deliberately hiding from my regular life... except work (and except my mother-in-law who lived with us.) It was part of "transition" for me. And the feeling of "stopping lying" about who you are can be quite important for someone in my kind of situation.

I wish I had written what Sandra-Leigh wrote. It was the thoughtful answer I would have liked to have written, but couldn't because I simply lack the life-experiences necessary to craft a meaningful response. Thanks, Sandra-Leigh!

Breathes under water prettytoes's Avatar
    I keep a few pair of male undies around strictly for Dr. visits, locker rooms at the pool (I'm a scuba instructor), and other similar situations. I see no need for my family Dr. to know about my dressing. It has nothing to do with my physical health, and I really don't think it needs to be noted in my chart. I can bear the discomfort of male underwear every once in a while.
    Life's too short to not be enjoyed! Live each day to the fullest!

Small town in western Kansas middle of nowhere
    I don't think anyone can answer that question but you. You are the one who knows the Dr. and his staff. Just remember it isn't just the Dr. who is going to know but the nurse will likely also know. If it was me I wouldn't do it. I wouldn't want to needlessly expose myself to someone I only see on occasion when I could remove the nail polish and wear some mens undies for a couple of hours for the physical. It would be a nice time to try a new color. I had to take the polish of my toes because my grand daughter is staying with us and she would see my toes when we got in the hot tub.
    "It takes all kinds of kinds" Miranda Lambert
    Now some point a finger and let ignorance linger
    If they'd look in the mirror they'd find.
    That ever since the beginning to keep the world spinning
    It takes all kinds of kinds.

I think what you need to ask yourself is do I want this doctor to be only the third person that klnows? And Why?

From my experience, he/she won't say a thing.

So, if this is something you want to talk about find a therapist or "phone a friend".
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

Not sure why you would want to do that. If you're wanting to "share" then maybe a support group would be a better choice . Even if you go in light drab, it's sure to be a more fulfilling coming out event.

We in the field have seen a lot and it would not be an issue. As long as it's not medically inclusive, it's not a big deal. That's why we wear scrubs....unisex pj's...lol...plus easy to undress with as there are lots of us out there
    Vegan runners are sexy!!!

I recently went to a doctor, that I have met, fully dressed. I called the office in the morning, and told them I was transgendered, and was coming dresses, and wanted to be addressed as Diane. They made a note in my files, and was addressed in a professional manner that I expected. The doctor called me the wrong name when he entered the room, but that was it. Go how you feel.

I wear panties 24/7 and dress when I can. So wearing panties to the Doc would be my normal way of dressing when I'm out of the house.
    jennigrace

Go for it, what's to loose, I panted my finger nails last night, put in two enhancer, almost an B cup make-up and I am at work, not many people around today. But it still fun.

There are so many of these type of threads... I came out to my GP awhile ago that I was TG so there are no surprises. The first thing he asked me is if I had a BF.lol. He was totally cool with it though and it makes things way easier. I don't think they really care but if I was a doctor I'd sure have WTF moments..

Why do you feel the compelling need to go see your doctor while underdressed??

If there is no real valid medical reason for your doctor to know about your cross-dressing, then why bother telling him/or letting him know by showing him your undies? Problem easily solved and nothing more for you to worry about...right?

Personally, if I were you, I wouldn't bother telling my GP, esp. if I have had a long already existing established dr.-pt. relationship with him , and/or your he is your family doctor for you other family members as well. There really is no reason for your doc to know about all aspects of your very personal private life as long as you think know you are mentally healthy/stable and/or as long as there is no medical condition question/matter effecting your physical medical health that your CD'ing is related to. In the end it's your private life....not his.

However, in this day and age, (though you still do have to be careful and take into consideration a bit your accepted community morals standards where you live, esp. if in a small town) if I were starting a brand new patient -provider relationship with a new medical provider, then yes, I probably would at least consider telling them about my CD/TG right out of the box from the beginning., and then I would continue to wear what clothing I prefer to usually wear daily to any doctor's exam from that point on. In a year or two from now, I do intend to explore to a much greater extent some hormonal and how my natural general body shape has developed over the yerrs as I have aged, and for which I think might be linked to my lifelong TG/CD lifestyle. I want to consult with an Endocrinologist and have some testing done on my hormone levels, and obviously I will be telling her (and yes.....it will be a her, as female providers (as a group) tend to be more accepting) about my TG.

P.S.--BTW, I don't know what types of practices your GP's have, but with mine (and the healthcare system my insurance is in), when I have either an annual exam, or acute problem exam with my provider - it is all business, he does not ask too much about anything else or outside of what is related to the medical purposes for my being there and I am really good with that. My providers just do not have that type of time to spend with their patients, to get into an extended conversation about their lives or what might be (hiddenly) bothering them or is a concern of theirs. My GP's expect you to tell them why you are there, they don't have time to do the holistic thing....it's in/out...Wham Bam Thank You Ma'am.....15 - 20 minutes tops per visit and done.
    Last edited by Sarah V; 01-12-2014 at 01:12 PM.

Sarah[SIZE="3"][/SIZE]

"Sport is for men.......But Ballet is for women" ---- George Balenchine

Silver Member
    If you want to discuss your cross dressing with your doctor then fine. Otherwise why complicate your visit. Is it the thrill of being dressed and seen by someone? Most doctors have seen it all. With the new health care system and electronic records I don't want any more than necessary information.

I always go commando when I see any doctor. There have been a few times that I've had to warn a female doctor what was coming. I'm certain I'll be warning my new gastro on Tuesday.

Emily