Thread: Feeling Better About My Voice

Aspiring Member

Feeling Better About My Voice

As I mentioned in a prior thread, my voice has been mistaken many times on the telephone as that of a woman's.

Also sometimes when I speak to someone who is not looking at me, they will call me M'am or lady.

Since my voice already tens to sound like that of a woman, I have been trying to soften it a little and do a little feminization of it.

I got quite a few tips from forum members and am feeling much better about my voice.

Thanks a lot!

That's wonderful Martha! I could use a few tips in that department. It would be kind of cool if the forum started a separate sticky forum for "virtual" voice tip lessons from everyone. I know I could use it! And, I think it's one of my bigger fears about going out publicly and interacting with others. Oh, I can deal with getting "clocked", but I am much to shy to have to explain myself. So maybe we start here. Any more tips girls? I need all the help I can get.
    Last edited by AnnieMac; 01-05-2014 at 08:10 AM.

Gone to live my life
    Hi Martha,

Glad to hear this. I think we all struggle with voice but it sounds like you have a good base (no pun intended) to work with.

Hugs

Isha

Aspiring Member
    Yes. Isha.

I think I have a "base" to work with.

I used to get upset when people thought that I was a woman on the phone.

I was talking to someone at a store the other day and they had their back to me. They kept calling me Miss and M'am until they turned around.

The beginning is already there. Just soften up and do a little feminization and I will have it made.

I am struggling with my voice, trying to make it a little more feminine. It would be nice if anyone of our sisters have suggestions or vocal exercises to help us move into a more acceptable vocal range

Banned Read only
    The best piece of advice I've received is to begin by listening to your own voice. Hearing it recorded is much different from hearing yourself speak. The tonal qualities of a male voice are considerably different than a females and when we try to change them, we an overdo it and that just makes things worse.

Aspiring Member
    I think that I will get me a little tape recorded and start talking. I should be able to tell my progress.

I usually hang up on telemarkers but will try my voice and see if they think that I am the "lady" of the house.

I think that will be fun.

I had a telemarketer call today. Yes they even call on Sunday's.

Well, I went through the presentation and by the end I had them speaking to the "lady" of the house.

Think that I am off to a good start! LOL!
    Last edited by Lorileah; 01-06-2014 at 12:22 AM. Reason: merged posts. Please use the edit button . Saves space :)

Great Idea Practicing on telemarketers!! Finally something useful purpose put to those calls. A trick I like to do is interrupt them, ask there name and phone number, and try to sell them band candy! -That could work in my new female voice!

I try to sing like "Helen Shapiro" a UK 60s singer.
    She had a husky voice and I tend to use her for my voice training.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.