Thread: Question for GGs please - how do you decide what to wear?

Question for GGs please - how do you decide what to wear?

I have always been curious how women, with so many choices decide what to wear in the morning!

Now, as a CD who is almost obsessed with skirts, I wonder why women would ever want to wear anything else. In all seriousness though, I can see how they are not always practical, weather being the most obvious reason.

I would like to know from all you GG's out there though what goes on in the clothing decision making process each day.

What makes you get up one day and decide that you want to wear a skirt today, and the next day you don't feel like it. How do you go about choosing between dress, skirt, pants, etc?

For me, having a skirt on is an undescribable high. For GG's though, they are just an everyday item of clothing. I know girls at work who will wear pants for months and months and then one day they come in wearing a skirt and say they just felt like it. I am interested very much in what it is that makes you feel like wearing a skirt all of a sudden when you may not have for a long while.

By the way GGs, I really, really envy you all those choices in clothes! I do get to wear them, but not as often as i would like!

If it's clean and I didn't wear it yesterday, it's fair game.
    ....we are all made of stardust

Proud Wife of Danielle65 Anita Mae GG's Avatar
    Massachusetts (on the Connecticut border)

What to wear What to wear

Well for me (please keep in mind that I have 4 kids, ages: 15,7,4 & 2) I like to be comfy. If I am going out (I am in the house 4 out of 7 days) Then I will wear jeans and a nice sweater since I am probably only going to WalMart of grocery shopping. Once in a great while I will wear a dress, for a night out with my husband or some sort of family birthday party.

It also depends on the weather. It is 20 degrees right now and a dress is not in my future attire, until SPRING! Tomorrow night for instance I am going to dinner with my best friend (a woman) and I will wear jeans and a sweater. Nothing fancy.

When I was working full time I would wear dresses to work 3 out of 5 days. Just because it made me feel professional and I looked nice. But on average I like to just be comfy and I dress for what my day will bring.

Hope that helped.
    Tammy

To dream of the person you would like to be is a waste of the person you are.

Terri is my sweetie! BrendaB GG's Avatar

jeans, jeans, jeans!

I wore skirts/dresses for so many years to work that now I just love my jeans so much. The only time I wear a dress is to a party or special event. I let my SO be the one to wear the dress in the family now!
    So in the morning when I get up, I am really just deciding what top and jewelry to wear. I do like to wear nice camis with lace or sequins, anything sparkly and I'm starting to wear nicer shoes these days too.
    But to your question, as to how to decide what to wear, it depends on the weather and who I am going to be seeing that day. My SO always jokes that I dress the nicest when i'm going out to see my friends. So maybe there is a bit of truth to that old cliche about how women dress for other women.
    Brenda GG

I worked in a retail store (back when I worked) and there was two sets of stairs that had to be used as our office was upstairs(2nd floor), washrooms and breakroom in teh basement the main area was on the 1st floor. What I wore usually depended on how busy I was going to be that day. On days when I knew I would be running up and down continuosly I made sure to wear pants and very sensible shoes. On days where I knew we would have very few clients I would dress up more as I knew I would not have to worry about stepping on myself or hurrying while wearing skirts or dresses. That was my main deciding factor.

For going out for a fun night w/ hubby or gf's it depends on where we are going, what the weather is like and how motivated I am. I do like skirts and dresses but I am only going to bother if that is appropriate for where I am.

Now that I have a 2 yr old any running around my daytime involves jeans and my beloved concert t-shirts. I do wear make up and attempt to style my hair, but skirts and tiny purses and delicate shoes are completely impractical while chasing a toddler through Wal-mart.....

Thanks for the responses. I have had a mans business suit on all day today for work. I have just got home and am now in my skirt so i am very happy.

You know that's a really good question and one I've never really thought about tbh I just grab whatever I feel like wearing I guess. I mainly wear trousers and I'm obsessed with pin stripes, so most of mine are black pin stripe trousers. Infact most of my clothes are black lol, with the occasional pink top/jumper. I'm not sure why I always wear black, I have done since I was about 14 yrs old. Maybe black is how I feel
    Administrator

Missing my Libra babe Sherlyn, I hope she's rocking up there with the angels
    Missing our Rianna, doesn't seem right, gone to early, hope she's partying with Sherlyn

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara GG
    You know that's a really good question and one I've never really thought about tbh I just grab whatever I feel like wearing I guess. I mainly wear trousers and I'm obsessed with pin stripes, so most of mine are black pin stripe trousers. Infact most of my clothes are black lol, with the occasional pink top/jumper. I'm not sure why I always wear black, I have done since I was about 14 yrs old. Maybe black is how I feel
    Just wait until Trinny and Suzanne get hold of you!

"You are no longer 14 for heavens sakes!!!" etc.

(What Not To Wear..programme on Brit TV.)

If I were a GG ( I think that's from Fiddler on the Roof ) I would line up my dresses in order and always wear a dress to work. I would never want to have a number of dresses divisible by 5, or I'd always wind up wearing one particular dress on the same day of the week. If I had 37 dresses I'd keep them in order and go through them all sequentially, then go back to the beginning.

Like the other GGs said, it's all about what I will be doing and who I will be seeing that day. In other words a combination of practicality, social appropriateness, and the impression I want to make on the people I'll be interacting with. I can't say I've ever felt the desire to wear an item of clothing just because I like it. But then I'm not a CD so what do you expect?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

And if the people stare
    Then the people stare
    Oh, I really don't know and I really don't care....

--The Smiths

At work, I only knew of only one beautiful GG who really seemed to love wearing dresses. She wore colorful, shiny dresses every day, looking like she stepped right out of the Seventies. She had one shiny shadow-striped gold dress that was most likely her favorite, because she wore it at least once a week. Some of the dresses I've bought on Ebay I've bought because they reminded me of some of her dresses.

Like the other gg's i mainly wear trousers or pants in USA. This is mainly because of the comfort factor.

I also never wear heeled shoes, i just cant walk in them ,i never wear stockings or garters, or black lacy undies....(well only when asked !)

Maybe i should have been a bloke....lol, but then my So says i always look sexy and feminine so i guess i dont really understand it either.....

cheery xx
    [SIZE="4"]The pleasure you get from life is equal to the attitude you put into it.[/SIZE]

Femininity on Tap! spaskinstyle's Avatar

Oh my goodness....

I try on everything in my closet....

I mix and match many combinations....

then I finally decide just as I am running out the door late.

I always wear something feminine... usually a skirt or a dress.

If I wear slacks, they are rayon or silk with a frilly feminine top.

I'd love to have a stylist - I'd save so much time. LOL

Love,
    Theresa

Another question for GGs: is there a time when wearing a skirt or dress is an advantage? Like for instance, if you have to sort though some change and there's not a tabletop nearby, just sit down and spread your legs a little and you've got a place to lay out your change and look through it. Or at a party where you have to hold your plate on your lap, you don't have to hold your knees together like the men, you can just sit down and relax and let your skirt do the work.

You know what really gets on my damn nerves in this forum? OK, I'll tell you what really REALLY gets up my nose and that's when a member of this forum asks a GG a question and non GG's post in it. When a member of this forum asks a specific question, why is it that some members just can't bloody help themselves and post in it? why? why? WHY? IT'S OUT OF BLOODY ORDER IS WHAT IT IS!!!!!!!
    Administrator

Missing our Rianna, doesn't seem right, gone to early, hope she's partying with Sherlyn

I apologize. Perhaps this should've been in the Female Talk forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan
    Maybe - but if it were in the "Female Talk" forum, then it might be hard for a CD to ask a question and read the replies, since only GGs can post there
    DanaJ

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The way women dress

Another question for GGs: is there a time when wearing a skirt or dress is an advantage? Like for instance, if you have to sort though some change and there's not a tabletop nearby, just sit down and spread your legs a little and you've got a place to lay out your change and look through it. Or at a party where you have to hold your plate on your lap, you don't have to hold your knees together like the men, you can just sit down and relax and let your skirt do the work.
    With all deference to Tamara GG, I'd like to chime in here. First off, just an amusing historical literary note for Alan. Did you know that when Huck Fin and Tom Sawyer ran away, Huck dressed as a girl. They holed up in an old woman's shack and she "outed" him by throwing something across the room. He caught it by pinching his legs together. The old woman spotted him as a CD b/c she said a girl would have naturally spread her legs to catch the object in the open folds of her skirt. Second, I was on the phone earlier w/my GGF discussing women's shoes. (I was dressed at the time) And I agreed that women's fashion dictates that women wear high heels b/c they make their legs look great and are sexy, BUT, heels are uncomfortable, hard to walk in and cause numerous foot problems. So to all you GG's, I envy your beautiful choices in clothing but I also understand the daily choices you make!

Carson
    You can dress me up but you can't take me out...at least not yet.

For me I always will choose the dress, followed by the skirt. I can't stand to wear pants. Seeing how I have a roommate in the military I really can't go prading around the house or out side in thoes. I have to go to my friends in the next town before I do any thing like that.

Thanks for the replies everyone. It has been very interesting.

Do any of you find that guys treat you in a more chivalrous way when you have a skirt on?

I know that I am always aware when a girl has a skirt and heels onand how that can restrict movement, and i always make that extra effort to help them out of a car or hold the door for them.

Do you also notice men treating you differently depending on what you are wearing?

No Apology necessary

Alan you don't have to apologize. Your input fit in with the subject matter. Sorry Tamara but you came down pretty hard. Sally2

Quote Originally Posted by Sally2
    Alan you don't have to apologize. Your input fit in with the subject matter. Sorry Tamara but you came down pretty hard. Sally2
    And just what part of the topic did you not bother to read either? Topic says and I quote 'A question for GG's' so excuse me if I find non GG's posting in this thread offensive, rude and out of order, especially when one of them posted not once, but 3 bloody times...... and I don't see how Fiona could have posted this question in the female forum when fiona isn't a GG. Maybe I should have moved it into the GG Forum like I've had to do with countless others because of the lack of respect on this forum, like the poll for GG members that someone posted and voted and said 'I'm not a GG but I voted anyway'.

Have some damn respect, it's the same over in the ftm forum, they ask a specific question for ftm's to answer and you get mtf's answering the question or posting in the polls, it's never ending. You just can't help it can you, you think we don't mind, but we do mind. I mean for crying out loud, there are 100's of threads daily to post in, just leave ours alone, is that too much to ask?
    Administrator

Hi Girls

I agree in part with Tamara if the question is for genetic girls then only they should answer.

Moving the thread would leave the non genetic girls unable to see the replies

The easiest soloution for a non genetic girl would have been to have started a thread for comments by non genetic girls, with a similar title asking for comments. they could always refer to the previous thread.

A little thought and respect goes a long way.
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

This is a topic I started because I am genuinely interested in hearing the opinions of only GGs on this, and obviously I wanted to see the responses, and for the repsonses to be viewable by everyone, but for only GG's to comment.

Although it is no doubt a great temptation for CD's to respond also, Tamara is right to be annoyed by this. I suspect that we CDs outnumber the GGs on this forum by a very significant margin. Although understandable, that is also a shame, but what it goes to illustrate is that the GG's here are very special people indeed, and maybe they deserve a bit more consideration at times.

After starting this thread, perhaps I myself should even not have responded further. I guess though that we CD's have so little opportunity in the "real world" to openly talk about the fact that we like dresses and skirts and panties and other lovely things that it is hard to resist the temptation to add our own point of view at any opportunity.

It would be great if we could limit this thread to only GG responses from now on though please. I include myself in this and will not be posting further in this topic.

Thank you for your consideration.
    Last edited by fionablack; 01-07-2006 at 10:01 AM.

I am not a GG (well in the sence we use the term, I am part xx) so please forgive me for posting here.

I have no physical attraction to male or female clothing. Being a mixture of both male or female I have an interesting perspective on things. I wear whatever is comfortable whether it is male or female in nature. For me a skirt is not much different than a pair of pants, whatever is approprate for the situation.

I do not consider myself a CD though...
    genetic boy, girl, or hermathodite.

Mandy/Michael - Human
    [SIZE="4"]My life in a Quote[/SIZE]
    "I don't like sand. It's coarse, rough, irritating and it gets everywhere. Not like here. Everything’s soft and smooth."
    [SIZE="1"]—Anakin to Padmé - Star Wars - Episode 2 - Attack of the Clones[/SIZE]

Occupying my own end of the gender spectra...