Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question - not sure what forum to ask this question

Question - not sure what forum to ask this question

This is something I have always wanted to know. Forgive me if I ask this wrongly - I'm a newby.

Now, the question - I've always heard and thought that crossdressing or MFT transitioning was because of being born with the chemistry or heredity that lead to feminine traits and actions and desires. But the more I think about it, I have one issue that I can't resolve - MTF crossdressers always seem to go completely frilly. Being married for 20 years, I can tell you my wife is rarely frilly and seldom wears clothing that looks "hot."

So, why do MTF crossdressers go to the extreme frilly/feminine, sexy outfits. Not that I don't - I'm just trying to reconcile my thoughts.

Sorry if I worded this incorrectly or shouldn't be asking at all.

Banned Read only
    Because it is an archetype of femininity. We have limited time to spend in girl mode so we make the most of it with the stereotype feminine attire.

Funny, but as I dress more, I have become far more causal.

Because women have had the privilege of been there/done that all their lives. Men, in general, don't get that privilege , and therefore MTF crossdressers gobble up every piece of frillery and finery they can get their hands on. It's just human nature.

Also, males tend to be more fetishistic about certain things than females.

With women, there's a certain objective that they are trying to achieve in order to obtain the goal. However, women often size each other up when it comes to wearing outfits.

As I grow older, the crossdressing has become more satisfying on a different level. Instead of getting excited, it has become a more natural feeling - I don't understand it or know how to explain it, it just feels more "right." Hell, maybe I have just come to terms with it and accepted it. But I bet I've worn my wife's dress, stockings and panties more than she did. Now, I have my own. Yeah, if you couldn't tell, I am a little ADHD.

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    I tend to agree with the other girls here we want so bad to be girly we tend to overdo. I think my expression of my real girly side came over the early years when I like dressing like a little girl in short frilly dresses and the like but I know longer want that. I prefer the more causal looks and all the cute skirts, now I do gravitate to the short skirts even though I'm older but hey I got the legs for the short ones so why not lol.

Banned Read only
    Dear Lena, I wore a crinoline once with a big hoop skirt--now that was frilly, and I did not like it at all. I've noticed many CDers who call themselves "sissy" wear that sort of thing. I suppose that is more of a fetish approach to dressing. Sexy, on the other hand, I love. Short skirts/dresses and astronomical heels with some shiny stockings (did someone say fetish?).

The other responses you already gotten explain a lot, don't they? Most of us are not full-time so we spend whatever time we have overdoing things a bit. I don't know about you, but my challenge is to not put on too much makeup. Know what I mean--eyes too dark and wide, blush looking like your in heat, lipstick looking like a camel instead of a girl.

Truth is, the more you do it, the easier it gets and the easier it gets the less overboard you will go. The chemistry may be there, but the rush always is.

good old fashioned "Over Compensate",
    Same reason young boys sprint the first 100 meters in a 4,000 meter race, while the older more experienced runners relaxes in to a 4,000 meter race.
    I still love my frilly skirt, haven't worn it for a few years now.
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz

50's Housewife Wannabe Madilyn A.'s Avatar
    Because today's women don't dress "girly" in the numbers they did 100 years ago when I was young, I believe it is our obligation to continue the "girly" look so as it does not become extinct.
    Believe in the impossible dream, dreams do come true !!!

www.flickr.com/madilyna

Madilyn

I'm not sure but not every MTF Cder does this. I think it may just be a matter of taste sometimes in our idea of frilliness.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Lena - as good as place as any to start...
    I think I've been asking myself a similar question - but I feel a lot of it depends on the individual's personal motivation, although that may not always be overt or conscious. I've never been one for frilly - either in clothes or women. Now sexy and hot - that I can do in both - and yes, maybe 10 years ago my wife would often do sexy, but I guess GGs are not going to be pursuing that all the time - again, I think it comes down to their motivation.
    Me, at present, I get maybe an hour a week dressed (yes - that's 2 hours prep before - get's longer as the years go on.. ) and I'm not about to spend an hour in jeans and a blouse, so sexy and glam gets my vote. I think for me there is also an element of the type of woman I am wanting and trying to emulate and again, I'm not often going to go 'girl in drab' but I am happy to do casual sexy... in fact I quite like that
    I hope we don't go down the chemistry/ heredity trail again in this thread, I'm quite enjoying pondering on 'girl emulation mode' (GEM - a new acronym ) at the moment... Emulation... mmmmm... that has a nice feeling...
    Katey x
    Last edited by Katey888; 01-14-2014 at 06:36 AM. Reason: Smiley dysfunction !
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Lena,
    I think frilly is a stage that young newbies go through.I passed the frilly stage last week, I think.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I am a M2F CD.
    I dont think I go over the top. I certainly dont go frilly. That takes things into that whole 'sissy' territory and thats another thread all by itself.
    I expect that I over-compensate to some degree, but that's more on the makeup side, I use as many tricks as I can to create the illusion of femininity, or at least that which my brain defines as feminine.
    In respect to clothing, I'll wear anything as long as its something that's clearly made for a girl/woman ie nothing that could be interpreted as androgynous. And as long as it's not ugly or WAAAAAY out of fashion.
    Having said that, those weird MC Hammer pants are in fashion and I HATE those....

To conclude, I guess its a matter of my taste vs your own.
    Samantha -x-

Sounds kinky! I don't think I own any frilly clothing but it sounds like fun. It sounds like petticoats and such. I have one blouse with ruffles and I like that look along with other fem styles. I have to admit to liking a sexy look, but that would only be for certain occasions.
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Maybe I'm the exception here. While I do have nicer/sexier outfits they are saved for the times when they are appropriate. That's not to say that I don't like to dress nicer, but when I do it's because that's what would be normal for anyone at the same event. Normal day to day wear is jeans, or shorts and a casual top depending on the weather, the same as a GG would be seen in. Maybe the difference for me is that I'm not dressing to wear the clothes, but to appear to the world the way that I feel on the inside. The other thing is that I've come to the realization that I'm not just a cross dresser and that I'm really more towards the trans-sexual orientation. This is how I want to live my life and now it's just a matter of deciding how best to accomplish it.

Aspiring Member
    Hi Lena,

I think others have answered your question pretty well however I think there is one more thing to add. It is my theroy that a lot of ggs don't dress "better" or sexier more often because, with all the hype of womens lib, they have forgotten they really are different, and have forgotten how to be a woman. I believe also that going back thousands of years woman developed beauty to help hold a male and to counter, in the species, the fierce intimidating look important to males which helped them in life at the time. Both of these traits may be less impoetant now, but maybe not. Are you not intimidated by a scruffy/fierce looking male more than a well groomed one? Are men not more attracted to a well groomed shaply looking female? Now don't get me wrong, I am all for equal rights between the sexes I do not view women as second class citizens, but that doesn't mean men and women are the same. Maybe for the same reason that many women don't like men who x dress (they have lost that fierce look), maybe men don't like women who don't look feminin (lost that shape or frilly look) . And there can be different definitions of feminin, from white and frilly to shinny black leather. A difference, which doesn't have to do with the discussion here but I will bring up anyway is the more agressiveness of the male and submissivemiss of the female. Males had to go and do battle with other males and large animals which over time made them stronger and more agressive while the females stayed in camp and tended to children and day to day work. Again, don't get me wrong here. I don't necessarly think being submissive is bad. Look at crime and war, mostly a male thing.

I hope I haven't ruffled feathers here, not my intention, just trying to point out that there are differences.

Sherrii

My opion on this is that is why we dress to have all the sexy thrill outfits that females get to wear as it starts our engines

it's quite simple really... all the femininity that modern women have cast off or discarded over the years has been concentrated and reprojected into our minds and bodies! It's like Feng Shui.... only prettier! So it's womens fault that were this way! lol. Got to try that one on my wife next time she complains I'm too girlie!
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

I dont go over the top unless I'm going out to a club, other than that I dress as sexy as possible while staying very casual. Check out my recent post in the picture section. A lot of women are to self conscious to dress sexy.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherrii View Post
    ... with all the hype of womens lib, they have forgotten they really are different, and have forgotten how to be a woman. ... Males had to go and do battle with other males and large animals which over time made them stronger and more agressive while the females stayed in camp and tended to children and day to day work. ...
    Sherril, any woman reading this is laughing and rolling their eyes at how lame a man can be. By the way, back in the caveman days, were the cavewomen wearing dresses and doing their hair? No, they were gross hairy beasts, like the men. I am sure that Darwin did not capture fashion in his proof of evolution.
    Last edited by Jenniferathome; 01-14-2014 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lena View Post
    Now, the question - I've always heard and thought that crossdressing or MFT transitioning was because of being born with the chemistry or heredity that lead to feminine traits and actions and desires.
    No that's not necessarily true. There are many motivations ranging from a mild fetish about women's clothes right through to being TS and everything in between. You may be born that way or you may have developed an interest at some point for one reason or another. Not only that human nature being what it is you may well change as you get older. As others have pointed out. You can start frilly, go on to sexy and end up casual. There are no rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Lena View Post
    But the more I think about it, I have one issue that I can't resolve - MTF crossdressers always seem to go completely frilly.
    They don't always. It you want to pass in public you won't. I personally don't like frilly, sometimes I'm more butch lesbian! It's all a question of taste. But in a sense you have to go for maximum feminity when dressed. Most only get a few fleeting moments of dressing as a woman. They have to make the most of it. Women too take the opportunity to dress up when it comes. Weddings and parties, dates etc. You wouldn't wear party clothes to bring the kids to school! Having said that I have seen some very well dressed Mothers at my kids school. Keeping up appearances I suppose.

If you only get a few chances to dress, wearing a pair of jeans and a tee shirt doesn't really cut it!

What Jennifer said, and, please, everyone, use 'men' and 'women', not 'males' and 'females'. This is not a wildlife film you're commenting on, you homo sapiens

As for the actual question: over-compensation, liking stuff with sex or fetish appeal, the general fashion sense (or lack thereof) of men, copying archetypes/stereotypes, having old-fashioned 'style icons' are all valid reasons for the general CD style of clothing.

i'm a Pacific North West gurl that has lived in a few other places, but i always find my way back.
    i'm not so frilly. i love heels 5" though and all of my outfits are with heels, but i am fairly conservative.

For many it's a fetish and the "ideal" image of a woman is that which they have seen in magazines and ads over and over and wish to emulate.
    It began that way for me but over the years has evolved, much like a girl growing into womanhood, and my tastes have changed. If you were to look into my closet or that of my wife you would not be able to tell the difference. Yes we prefer slightly different styles, but both contain dresses and skirts and slacks and jeans as well. If you looked at the shoe rack you would not be able to tell who owned what shoes.
    It's not really fair to generalize that we all go "frilly". We are individuals.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

I once heard the following explaination: new cross dressers are like teenage girls, always trying to show off with their short skirts. The longer you dress; the longer your skirts get.

Listening to the more experienced members, this observation sounds right.

I believe that it is sorta like when women dress for special occasions, clubbing, etc etc, When a CD dresses, that in itself is typically a special occasion.
    Chickens should be allowed to cross the road without having their motives questioned