Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting dressed/changing away from home

Getting dressed/changing away from home

Here's my dilemma: I work (in the city) a little over an hour from my home (small town). There are many days I wish I could spend the day shopping in the city before I go home, but there is absolutely zero chance of putting on makeup before leaving my workplace. No back door to sneak out, no bathroom to hide in, nothing. I can take a duffel bag and change in the car easy enough, but my makeup and face routine is easily an hour. Driving an hour home, changing, makeup, and driving an hour back to the city is the only option I've been able to come up with. Although it's still cheaper than renting a hotel room, with today's gas prices it can add up quick and the tons ed extra time in traffic and on the highway is a beating. I don't really think camping out in a public restroom for an hour putting on makeup is that great of an option either, and carrying a giant duffel bag into and out of a store that would have a family restroom is probably going to attract attention. And finding a spot spot and changing in the car for five minutes. But again- sitting in a spot for an hour wadded up in the car with crappy lighting and a makeup mirror propped up on the dash is not that great of an idea either.
    So- no friends in the area, no money for a hotel (even day rates at the airport are $50), and no place I can think of to park for an hour, and too much crap for a restroom- any ideas on saving the two extra hours of driving?

Set up at a picnic table in a deserted park?

Banned Read only
    http://fortworth-transgender.org/smf...tall/index.php

Have you reached to any transgender resource sites in your area? I think they would be able to steer you in a reasonable direction.
    Last edited by Jenniferathome; 01-19-2014 at 02:22 PM.

Scout out any large hotels in the area with a family restroom in the lobby perhaps? Walking in with a duffel bag would cause no issues and will give you the privacy to finish your makeup

What about taking a day off and go for a full day of shopping?
    What about going shopping in drab? In this case you can easily change in a car or public restroom from your work clothes. If you're scared someone you know might see you buying female stuff, you can get yourself a long male wig and glasses to change an apperance a little. I always shop like that or maybe wearing some neutral looking female stuff like jeans or boots mixed with other male clothes.
    Last edited by Karmen; 01-19-2014 at 02:30 PM.

How about a VW camper? (I'm thinking out of the box here... ) Classic vans hold their value - like a mobile changing room.... OK, probably not that good an idea unless you're a VW nut.

Are there no hotels (other than the obviously slightly dubious ones.. ) that rent rooms by the hour?

What about gyms or health spas? Pamper yourself, get fit and have somewhere convenient to change..?

Government agencies with public restrooms? Mall restrooms? (Too public I guess...)

That's it - I'm all done. I can understand how you feel - if you want to look good (and Kymberley, you do look verrrrry good... ) it does take a fair bit of time in the right environment - I feel for you. There must be somewhere in Dallas (assuming it's that city) that you can find suitable... I'll keep thinking - I love a creative challenge...

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

I think that you need to learn to reduce that makeup time down to about 15 minutes. You may be going shopping or stopping in at a bar for a quick drink. You should not need the full makeup process. Remember that you will also probably be in a not so bright or dim surroundings, so minor flaws will never be seen. I have partially dressed at home and then completed that process in a local parking lot then put on my makeup from scratch. I always had a towel that I would drape around my neck to keep the makeup off my clothes. If you can find a "one-holer" restroom, one stall with a lockable door, you can put on your base foundation just about anywhere and not hog the bathroom. Just learn to be quick. I use a powder foundation and blush and that goes on very quickly. Good luck.

I've done quick gender changes in portal potties or parks but the best was using family unisex restrooms on freeways.... go in male and come out female... Typically I would under dress and just take in what I was going to wear over plus makeup... put jewelry on in the car.. all packaged in a small tote or computer bag.... always was an adventure... lol
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

If the lights/mirror are not good in your car its easily fixed and will force you to get better and quicker with makeup.
    At least it did with me.

Silver Member
    Why not shop in guy mode? I used to and leaned they liked my money more than anything. You can always return it if you don't feel comfortable about trying fem things on in guy mode.

Aspiring Member
    I say cut the makeup time way down. I almost always done mine in the car in 15 minutes or less. I just do the basics, thats it, I am told it is okay, and off shopping I go with no problems whatsoever... I used to put on a few basic girl clothes and wore mens over them until I could pull them off, popped on the wig/makeup and then make it to a place to straighten it all up. Theres got to be a park or something you are overlooking.

You can cut the make up time way down. I have done makeup successfully in the car many times. If you can do the foundation in the bathroom before leaving it really helps. I have even packed soap, comb, towel, and a thermos of water for clean up before getting home.
    Live and let dress.

I get off work at 7 in the morning so I have the whole bright shiny ahead of me, and I go everywhere and do anything, so it's not just a quick pop in or a dimly lit bar. It's also not so much about the shopping or buying as it is about being out femme. I've bought plenty of stuff in male mode so if that's what I wanted- that's what I would do.
    I don't really want to cut the makeup time down either, because again- it's just as much about the process of putting it on as it about having it done and over. Besides, my avatar and profile pics are really me without any manipulation so I think an hour is well worth it- especially if you know what I look like before.
    The hotels I've been able to find that go by the hour are either shady, or on the airport for 50 bucks. I'll have to look for a place that's accessible, but not busy until later in the day.

As a one time thing, you might get a MAC makeover after work. That won't work often because you need to buy makeup supplies when you get this done.

Deedee
    It's not wrong... but it is forbidden!

Gold Member
    I was thinking the same thing as DeeDee. Consider all places along with MAC. It can be an Ulta or standalone Sephora. Or a Dillard's or Macy's with a parking lot entrance so you don't have to walk through the main mall. Setup an appointment on the day you want to shop and start with make-up.

Tonya, the SHOE monster! rocketscientist's Avatar
    I am certainly no stranger to this! My M.O. is to wear my femme clothes under baggy male ones, then find a quiet out of the way spot and peel them off. Usually, I will apply foundation before getting into my vehicle too, that way it doesn't show too much and all I have to do is apply eye makeup and add my jewelry. If you can't rent a room, maybe you need to increase your network of contacts and friends in the area. Maybe they will give you a place to change and maybe even go out with you. I know that there are plenty of girls from DFW or nearby on here. Get to know them and find out if your schedules could possibly align. Good luck. Hugs, Tonya
    "Be yourself, everyone else is already taken" = Oscar Wilde

I appreciate the suggestions, There is a negative 120% chance of walking out of my fire station with any makeup on whatsoever.
    I leave at 7 in the morning and no place that would do a makeover opens until 10, by then I could drive home and back. And again- look at my avatar, I could probably teach most of the counter techs more about TG makeup than their companies do. Also, I've moved on from Mac and all that crud in favor of professional studio makeup so I don't need anything from any of those places anyway.
    I really don't like imposing on other people, but that may be something I have to do eventually.

Too bad you're not in Houston -- I would have a solution for you.

There's a transformation studio that rents lockers and I think rooms for crossdressers. There's also a transgender center.

Maybe there's something similar in DFW.

I've changed in the car, in public bathrooms, and at friend's house's. I've also done the hotel thing. Used hotwire to get cheap rooms, but 7 AM is not a good check-in time.

Think out o the box. I always wondered if someplace like Masage Envy would allow me to rent one of their massage rooms by the hour. I've just been too chicken to ask.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

I think the unisex toilet, it usually has more room, or the hotel lobby idea where there is a lot of traffic.
    You will have to survey some spots first.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Kym - I don't think there are any magical solutions to your problem, but it might be worthwhile to try to seek out other t-girls in the city, that would let you use their place to get dressed up.

You could check out something like http://www.femmexstudios.com They might have lockers for rent or they might be able to point you in the right direction.

You could arrange for a makeup application at some place like MAC and let someone else do it for you.
    Chickie

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    this is a great question.....and Kymberly I see you think ALOT like me....you PLAN to the last detail..especially on outings...I have been made fun of for my planning as if the president was coming into town..., but its only out of saftey and comfort...I am going to go with Karmen on this.....Take the day off !!! Enjoy a full private day in comfort, and saftey...we all deserve a day one in a while.......and this classic quote rings true "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.”........another favorite quote of mine is " There is no such thing as I cant "......

What about a local storage locker, monthly rates are are cheaper than 1 day at a motel and you could leave a card table and chair in it, you know fix it up for easy use.
    Love Kristy

When necessary, I use a single person restroom at a hotel. I have make up sorted into smaller groups so that I do not need to haul it in all at once. If I need an extended period of time, I switch to a different hotel to complete the process.

Just walk in like you own the place. Early morning is easy as there is lots of people moving through the front door. You can always exit via a side entrance.