Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you learn to sew?

OMG! A couple weeks ago I found out I wasn't the only guy that liked dressing up. Today I find out I'm not the only one who likes sewing. I love this place!

I taught myself by starting with some cute pj's for my wife because the ones she had belonged in a dumpster. I have been doing this for about 4-5 years and mostly make my own patterns for everything. I read as much as i can on the internet and lots of youtube for learning.

My grandmother was a seamstress and I had a home-ec class in high school. It's been many, many years since I used a sewing machine, but I've done needle and thread repairs several times this past week.

I took a class on sewing advertised at a fabric store - and was the only male in the class. The project was to make a fitted skirt - and while they seemed to not have a problem with me in the class seemed relieved when I made the skirt for another girl - my wife. But the skills learned were useful. I made the same skirt for me later, much easier the second time. Its really a useful skill - so don't be afraid to take a class. My mother knew how to sew, I think - but I barely remember her sewing.

I learned how to use a sewing machine from my mother, when I was young. Most everything else, I've learned by trial and error, and by reading web pages (lapped seams and french seams come to mind.) There's nothing like practice to learn what to do and what not to do.

As for clothes, I started with skirts. The nice thing is that there's not much fitting involved, basically just the length and the waist size (full skirts are more forgiving than straight or fitted ones.) I moved on to jumpers and now I'm working on dresses.

What I really like about sewing my own clothes is that I get to wear exactly what I want which (IMHO) suits my figure, and not whatever ugly sack the fashion industry grudgingly makes in my size. I choose the colors (I like bright colors), I chose the fabric, and I can make it fit me instead of some averaged body shape.

(Time to stop wasting time on the Internet and put cuffs on my latest dress.)

I also purchased a sewing machine for the wife. She used for a little bit then gave it up. After years of gathering dust, I started to take lessons at Jo Ann Fabrics (local craft store). Yes I was the only guy there but you can pick out your projects. It isn't all skirts and dresses.

I've taken quilted pillow, quilted blanket, pj and purse classes. Fun classes, non-judgmental etc. I've made quilted pillows, purses (that my girls still treasure years later), pajamas, quilted blankets and a whole lot of repairs. With the scrap fabric, I've made dice bags for the Intro to Role Playing games at the local library. Free Swag! How often do you see giraffe or pretty polka dot dice bags? The young girls tend to gravitate to these and ya gotta play to get the swag. I'll go back for another class to fine tune my skills. Plus the ladies all know me, just one of the girls now. :-)

I have three machines: my grandmother's Singer, which was the first electrified model - it is exactly the same as the treadle machines, but has a motor and a knee lever; a 1936 table model SInger that was given to me; and in 2005, I finally came into the modern age and bought a double needle Shark, with a gazillion different stitches, reverse, a buttonhole attachment (YAY!!!!) and a special foot for installing hidden zippers. I love that machine. It made creating my own clothing infinitely easier. The big old cast iron frame table model Singer has been relegated to the outdoor shop for things like car upholstery, and tent repairs.
    I have not bothered with my grandmother's machine, since about 1970, when I took it to Jomax, and had it completely overhauled. SInce then, I have had it out of the case maybe three or four times, just to make sure nothing was rusting.
    "We don't see things as they are; we see things as we are." Anais Nin

I had to learn how to sew as part of a mechanics course. The first thing I had to actually do it on was the covering for biplane wings - French fell seams and all. I've found anything that doesn't involve trying to keep 20 feet of seam straight to be a piece of cake. It's an easy skill to learn, a hard one to master, and very satisfying once it all comes together. Take a class or two, and then have at it - it's a lot of fun.

Silver Member
    go to your local library and check out some books and videos. Check out youtube also. There is also a magazine called Threads. There is a Threads DVD on eBay available on beginning sewing for about $20.

I agree - JoAnn Fabric has classes for all levels of experience. Singer has some basic information on their website

If you have a different manufacturer they may online information too.

In this age of designed-in obsolescence, there are a lot fewer people who sew than there used to be. Good machines are available used for next to nothing if you check thrift stores, garage/yard/estate sales and flea markets. I would recommend Japanese scissors for any fine work, especially with light fabrics; they are extremely sharp and very precise, with a 1 piece design (the spring loop is also the handle) that keeps the blades in alignment.
    I remember sitting under my mom's Singer treadle machine when I was very young. She later bought a motor kit for it with a knee lever for speed adjustment and lastly a Morse electric with all the bells & whistles available at that time (1959).
    My partner was also a seamstress, bought her own Singer machine with table from a Singer store in what was then a local shopping center; I later found a replacement head for it and another portable complete with accessories. Still have them and am storing them for her daughter.
    ALWAYS plan for the worst, then you can be pleasantly surprised if something else happens!

"The important thing about the bear is not how well she dances, but that she dances at all." - Old Russian Proverb (with a gender change)

Banned Read only
    Hi Jennifer,
    I used on online sizing guide to buy a dress when I received it was about 2 sizes too big, like you I bought my wife a sewing machine, she uses it to make simple curtains and a few repairs and that's it. I needed to reduce the waist and shorten it so I gave it a go, getting the hem level was tricky because you need to go at a reasonable speed, in the end it worked out OK . I dropped a clanger because I forgot to take out the small thread bobbin and my wife had never used that coloured thread. The other point is double check your measurements I wanted to turn a calf length skirt into a knee length and took off 10" instead of 8", I then had the tedious job of extending the hem with a contrasting band all by hand!

Like others have said, you can find local classes or youtube, which is loaded with videos.

Definitely, buy a good pair of teflon coated scissors, if they are less than $10, put them down and keep looking.

If you find you really like sewing, you will eventually want to buy a *good* machine, and they are not cheap. And then a serger, and then an embroidery machine and then and then..

My grandmother taught us how to sew I can hem skirts pants use a sewing machine knit darn socks how to use patterns and make clothes.

[QUOTE=Lynn Marie;3422043][B][I][COLOR="purple"] I had my grandmother's Singer Featherweight for years after she passed away. What a fabulous machine. Very simple, one stitch, one speed, and no reverse. It was perfect for seam repairs and adequate for most anything I wanted to do. A couple of years ago I wanted to modify some elastic shapers and realized that I needed a zigzag stitch. That led me to a search for a more talented machine. An electronic Pfaff with a walking foot filled the bill perfectly. Sewing machine heaven! Sold the Featherweight for a goodly sum also. Turns out quilters prize them for their portability and simplicity Quote]

I have a singer 201 lightweight sewing machine it has Reverse, and a separate attachment for zig zag love its simplicity tiny size and quiet running,
    though having to rewire the insides due to age deterioration a bit fiddly and an injury to my thumb related elsewhere here
    Last edited by Roli F; 02-02-2014 at 11:32 AM.
    Northern Monkeys versus Southern Softies My avatar is used by me with the permission of it's creator, Jason Thompson a wonderful American artist You cannot change me, though I can change the way I dress.

well ur half way there just play with the machine! I use to sew all the time should bust that ole singer out again!
    the only limit that u set, is the one u set yourself.

Aspiring Member
    I was taught to sew by my mother but have tried to forget it when I was married because in my ex-wife and her mother said real men didn't to that, only men that liked other men done that.

Yikes this thread takes me back. my mom taught me how to sew when I was a kid. she thought everyone should know the basics. I've always done my own repairs and buttons with a needle and thread, and I can stitch leather with an awl, but haven't used a machine in decades. I did notice some excellent used cabinet-style sewing machines in the $100 to $150 range at the local mega-thrift shop, landed there from estates, I guess. It'd be fun to make a nice and well-fitting blouse or skirt.

I always had to thread our sewing machine for my mother, so I knew how to do that. Being a little fat kid I always splitting my pants, so it was learn to sew up split seams or walk around with a hole in my pants. I even made a couple skirts freehand no pattern, just material, a measuring tape and scissors.

As others have said, there are lots of good books out there. My public library has many. Also good info on the web and youtube. Sewing is not much different than putting together a bookcase from Ikea. Just read the instructions and take your time. Practice on scrap material. I took a beginning sewing class at my local community college that was quite helpful. I was not the only man in the class.

When I retired I bought a machine - a Brother Innovis 4000D, combination sewing/embroidery machine - and taught myself the art of machine embroidery and digitizing to make embroidery designs. I've tried basic sewing, and can put together tote bags, throw pillows, picnic table covers, etc. but I haven't tried making clothes yet. What confuses me is not how to get the machine to work - that's easy - it's the esoteric things, like:

What is the best fabric to use for a specific project?
    What is the appropriate stitch to use for a specific purpose?
    What is "batting" used for, and why?

I can read patterns, but they seem to use a language that they assume you understand. That's true of ANY field, though - I was in CAD Support in the semiconductor industry and I know I could not carry on an intelligent conversation about my job with someone outside that field. I've taken the classes that the sewing machine store offered, and they showed me how to use the machine, but there's a olt to learn about the minutiae that doesn't seem to be in any books...
    Ambigendrous
    Wealth should not be measured by how much you have, but by how little you need - anon

As a lifetime bachelor, with no SO, I have had to sew my own clothes for many years, and I always prick myself with the needle, and yell! I don't do a very good job usually, either. Never got to have a wife or SO. 59 now.

This is great website I learned a lot here - https://www.professorpincushion.com

The softer side of Sears JoanAz's Avatar
    I guess I am Just Lucky. I learned to Sew in the US Army, Parachute Rigger, Macho thing to do but has been very handy in my Life.
    ((((HUGGS))))
    JoanAz

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon B. View Post
    I was taught to sew by my mother but have tried to forget it when I was married because in my ex-wife and her mother said real men didn't do that, only men that liked other men ....
    Jeez! The nonsense people try to brainwash you with. Did they also say stuff like, if you wore anything pink, your you-know-what would fall off and you'd turn into a girl?

I hope, now that she's your ex-wife, you don't pay any attention to that sort of rubbish. (Or worry about whether you're a "real man." )

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferYager View Post
    I bought my wife a nice sewing machine, and she never uses it. I'm honestly considering learning how to sew...but where do you start? How (especially as a guy) do you learn how to sew?
    There are many ways you can learn to sew depending on what your comfortable with. If you have a JoAnn Fabrics in your area they often offer different classes it may not be exactly the item you wanted to sew but teaches the techniques needed that can be applied to other items. A lot of areas the local technical college will have night adult learning classes and offer sewing classes. Another option is to find a Quilt Shop in the area that also sells Sewing Machines. They may offer classes or one on one training for a certain cost. I know the quilt shop near me offers this class and its popular for new sewers.

There is also a great site online you can get paid classes: http://www.craftsy.com/sewing

If a class is not something your comfortable with then I would suggest searching videos on YouTube. I sew but mostly do quilts and small home dec projects. I have not yet expanded to do clothing but I know for a fact there are a dozens and dozens of tutorial videos on You Tube for all kinds of sewing projects. If I were you I would start by finding a video to teach the basics or how the machine works like threading the machine, winding a bobbin etc.

Hope this helps