Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So you are walking down the street dressed and

Gold Member
    If I can help it, I don't want to be out at work just yet. But I always said that if I get busted, I would just suck it up and own it. Since I have long hair, I don't feel it takes more than a few seconds for someone to recognize me. So I would enter a store, walk across the street, ...anything that can be done casually. And if there are no options. Own it!

Not ready for the prime time yet..........so I'd either lift my stylish purse up to block my face, stop down to adjust my heels or take off the heels and sprint in the opposite direction Maybe I should wear flats when Im closer to my hometown.

And as I read Nat's post that made me think.......my sister is living in the area now........I'd say it must have been a sister sighting. And I forgot how much the larger sunglasses help change your appearance too........great accessory!
    Last edited by KristinTX; 01-31-2014 at 11:52 AM.

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickhe View Post
    Smile and wave...
    It's happened with neighbor, friends and co workers. What else are you gonna do?
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Not quite a work colleague but a guy I was in school with. I was on my way to meet someone so was looking good and the skirt was short! I got the 'guy checking out a girl look' as Isha put it. but there wasn't much danger of him recognising me as it was my legs he was looking at. I really enjoyed that moment.

Isha I love this line:
    The last time we were together we were calling indirect fire onto our position before we were overrun. So we know each other very well.
    That must have been a fraught moment!

Banned Read only
    If you choose to be known only until yourself, then don't interact or put yourself in a position to interact. I am an in-home cross dresser. I have taken strolls in the evening in a residential neighborhood where I and my car would not be identified. The best kept secrets are kept by oneself. Interact with one co-worker or neighbor and the world will know. You cannot control what others may do or the people with whom they share their knowledge. If I were to encounter an approaching person I know on my stroll I would not interact with them at all and do anything to avoid the encounter. Since I cross dress for the peace and serenity it brings ME, my whole purpose for cross dressing would be negated by others knowing. It presents an unknown that I prefer not to explore.

I would probably pause, turn my side or back to him/her and either dig through the purse or act like I have something in my eye that I need to tend to until the moment had passed.

smile, walk by, act like I do with anyone else on the street. If they recognize me, I would stop, say hi, talk about the weather, shake hands (or hug depending) and go on my way.
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    One of the things I discovered extremely early on was that no matter how I dressed, had makeup, wigs, changed my glasses, totally different coats, and so on, that people recognized me very quickly. At a distance. In bad light. Who had only ever seen me in person (in any mode) three times before, last 8 months prior. And had never even talked to me before. And no-one looks surprised.

Oh wait... that's right, a couple of women were surprised that my bust was not real (when I wore my large forms.) It wasn't that they didn't see the "male", it was that something about me gives off a "Of course he should be female" vibe. Yes, complete with mental contradiction. As if I am mentally categorized as "Ummm, not female I guess, but definitely not 'a guy'".

Anyhow, when one gets recognized no matter what, then one can either go hide and never come out again, or one can say "This means I don't have to hide: I can just be myself, a female, and people are going to accept me because they already think of me that way even before seeing me Dressed".

I think I'd just try to be as nonchalant as possible. I'm 6'4" in heels, walking down the street is going to draw enough attention! ;-)

I have kind of run into the opposite issue: when I do go out to Tess' favorite hangout, I'm always dressed to the nines. The funny thing is that when I see people from that bar out around town, and I'm not dressed en femme, they seem to have no idea who I am. I've even spoken to some folks and then had to tell them I was Tess. All that is to say that I guess I'm not TOO recognizable when fully dolled up.

Aspiring Member
    Here's my story. I was out and about for some evening shopping at an outdoor shopping mall. I was feeling extra confident in my look and presentation, I decided to head over to PF Changs to have a cocktail at the bar. So as I am walking down the street just outside the restaurant three men are walking in the opposite direction coming from the restaurant. As I get closer I recognized my coworker. He begins to give me an ogle, smiles and says "have a good evening, Miss!" as we passed each other. I smiled and mouth a "thank you!" I entered the restaurant and when straight to the ladies room to reassure "Rachel" was looking back at me in the mirror.
    So, it doesn't end here. I leave the restroom and go to an empty seat at the bar. For fear of being carded, I tell the bartender "just a diet coke for starters" I begin to settle in and relax. I turn slightly to scan the many faces in the restaurant and bar. Well, a few tables over in the bar area were two more coworkers seated with their spouses. I finished my drink and left to avoid taking any chances of being read.

Aspiring Member dana digs sweaters's Avatar
    What would I do?
    Continue on my merry little way. There is No How, No Way I could be recognized when dolled up.
    Too drastic a difference in my looks.
    Whomever they are might comment to somebody that I was probably a medal winner in the Olympics for female shot putting.

Ask them to join me in raising funds for X charity?