Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The impact of your job vs CDing

I've been in telecom and information systems for the last 15 years. Both are heavily male dominated al, with a heavy my ex military presence. Even many of the women I've worked with are strong type-A personality. While I have lots of hair on my arms, it's very light colored. This has gotten me called "queer" & "sissy boy" because it wasn't noticeable from across the room. I've been harassed for wearing red & salmon colored button-down shirts to work, instead of blue, black, & other "manly" colors. My last career advancement didn't come until I grew a beard.

While you'll never find me wearing a skirt & heels to the office, it doesn't prevent me from dressing as I please at home.

Senior Member Read only Allison Chaynes's Avatar
    Jane, I was a supervisor of diesel mechanics and underdressed every day my last two years at that job. I was very careful about it and never got outed. I wore pantyhose during the winter months. But I would agree that some things, like pierced ears, shaped brows, etc would have caused issues at work.

I'm a software engineer and technical lead for my team. I'd like to one day move up into management in a male dominated company. There's absolutely no way I could dress at work. Not that I've got the confidence for it.

I worry that even slightly feminine-seeming things, like pink or "salmon" shirts might risk a loss of confidence by the people above me. So I paint my toes, wear my panties, and make sure the chain on my pink princess necklace is long enough that it can't possibly fall out. It hasn't been a problem, since I'm not really looking to live as a woman, but I would definitely enjoy more freedom.

I work as a behaviorist for children in the autism spectrum. In the office there are 10 supervisors who are all women and 40 other behaviorist who are all women, except me and 4 other guys. I do feel comfortable going to work in a more feminine attire, but I try to keep it androgynous. I do also paint my finger nails, but with clear polish. My only concern at the moment is that I work lots of different families and their children, so I do have to be careful in that respect. The one good thing is that when it comes time to transition at work, I will be leave my current clients and will get new clients that will not know me as a guy.

I work construction and always getting cuts and bruises, and the cold or the heat isn't doing my skin it's best. But I have noticed the last few years the tuff guy construction worker look is changing. Most of the guys shave all there body hair and more then half get there eye browse threaded, almost all of us have both ears pierced. Its hard to still get used to hearing a conversation with two construction worker on where they get threaded and how much they pay, or one guy showing another one what happened when he shaved his chest hair and wants the other guy to show him how to do it.

I too work in a shop, a dirty dirty shop doesn't really hinder my fem side just a bit more work in the shower to scrub it off.
    the only limit that u set, is the one u set yourself.

Years ago I work in the same field as you, burns, cuts grimy hands, Back then I did not even thing about under dressing, if I had, I would not have. Bending over cars all day, rolling around a creeper. There is to much of a chance of pantie peek. Now as a teacher, little impack

I was self employed for years. Most of the time I worked alone (printing business) and I could wear just about any type of tops/jeans etc. to work. Not many customers/associated noticed or cared. My biggest gripe was afper cleaning ink off the presses, the residue would get under my nails making it a horror show getting clean.

I get by with shaving and other good personal hygiene. But i'm always coming home with new cuts, bruises and burns, A few months ago I got burned through my hood in a rocking fire and had a 4 inch burn on my head that makeup couldn't even fix :/ And underdressing is a huge no go for me, Clothes tend to disappear fast if you get hurt at work.

I always underdress for work. I am so used to having my girlie things on i do not change my dressing habits. Fortunatly for me I am an engineer in construction so my dress code is jeans and a denim shirt for work. So i am quite able to hide my undies from c0-workers. Usually that is. Mistakes can occur. I prefer to have my femme side available when ever I can as I do feel i am veronnica. Veronnie2

Well Im suprised at the number of Mechanical engineers, mechanics and those who get dirty hands on here who share the same lifestyle as mine. There again I wonder if its really because we are 'expected' to be macho in our male environment that Crossdressing is actually a release from the pressures of having to comply. Im still kind of new to understanding all of this as I have been rather private in my CD for years until recently and I suppose to a big degree this forum has enlightened me and shown me I am not alone or abnormal as I believed I was.

However just today I came across another thought on this matter when I felt my fingers were getting rougher than usual and on inspection I found a few slivers of aluminium in two fingers. Rather than think I must get those out before they get in deeper, I thought I must remove these before I ruin another pair of stockings! The many pairs I have ruined by laddering one is bordering on criminal. I have loads of odd ones now, JD x

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    I HAD to take a job as a laborer once (picture that one)..needless to say I purged...but quit that lousy job and went to art school..but I get it...I used to come home from work and throw on a dress and it just felt awkward....It wasnt the dressing...the job just wasnt me i guess

I work in food delivery. In and out of restaurants all day. You'd think it would be clean and easy, but it's dirty and nasty. Cuts and scrapes happen constantly. I do work alone so I could probably get away with some stuff, but to be honest I like the idea that those two areas are completely separate. I just have to remind myself to not stare at waitresses' shoes.

I too am surprised at the number of "tool guys" here. I'm a mechanic/manager, about 50/50%. While it's not as bad as it used to be when I was in the shop 100% of the time, cuts, burns, scrapes etc are still a problem. Barrier cream (the modern version of the soap trick) and nitrile gloves are my best friends in the shop. In fact I go out of my way to protect my hands to the point where people will comment on how good my hands look "for a mechanic".

Did you say shopping? Caden Lane's Avatar
    I'm in Law Enforcement. So it suppresses my dressing...but also exacerbates my need to dress because of the stress.

Platinum Member
    Hi Jane, After forty years in the petroleum industry now Retired five years I am able to keep my hands and nails nice.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!