Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: An Unexpected Visitor...And A New 'Sister'

That is wonderful!
    Amanda

How nice! I am happy for you.

Nice story. You must be happy with more a more open relationship now.
    Candy

Banned Read only
    How can I sum up our night out last night?

Superb.

I drove up north to meet Gail and Janice at their hotel, feeling nervous, excited, and a little reticent about Janice meeting her sister for the first time. The reticence disappeared once I pulled into the hotel's lot and got out of the car. After a brief stop in the ladies room to perform a quick check of hair and makeup, I made my way to their suite and knocked.

Gail answered, invited me in, and said "She's here!"

I wasn't sure what kind of reaction I'd get from Janice when she saw me for the first time, but as she came out of her bedroom and saw me she stopped dead in her tracks, a look of surprise on her face. Then, "Oh. My. God. You look like...my...my...sister!" I have to admit things got a little confused at that point, with her making a fuss over me and the strong feelings she evoked in me with her complete acceptance. I was a bit overwhelmed, something I hadn't expected. I have to admit to shedding more than a few tears. But the one thing that sticks strongly in my mind was her reaction when I spoke. I don't think she was expecting to hear the voice I had developed all those years ago. "You sound just like Gail!" I said something along the lines of "What do you expect from twins? Of course we sound alike!" It took me lots of practice to fully create my feminine voice.

About a half an hour later the three of us left the hotel to go to one of my favorite restaurants, one I knew Gail liked and that Janice would probably like. Dinner was great, between great food, great wine, and a lot of talk about things past and present. Janice had more questions, mostly about how I lived in two worlds so easily. I told her it wasn't all that easy as I had always felt more comfortable as Diane, even as a teen. I told here there were times when being Dave felt like a chore, at times like wearing ill-fitting clothing I didn't like. We also talked about my ex and her feelings about Diane, my friend Jo (someone Janice has known almost as long as I have), and what plans I might have in regards to living as Diane full time. (I did tell her about living as Diane during my work stints out on the West Coast, something she found fascinating.)

As we were paying our bill at the restaurant we talked about what we wanted to do next. Gail suggested we go dancing, something she loved to do, as did Janice. I like dancing, too, but I have to admit that I've never really been all that good at it, but I didn't let that stop me.

We went to a club Gail and I knew that catered to the ski crowd, though it wasn't nearly as busy as it might have been because it was Wednesday night, after all. I won't bore you with all the details, but we three middle-aged ladies managed a few dances, a little more drink (though I kept to soft drinks, as I usually do when en femme), and more conversation.

One of the more interesting things that occurred at the club: Janice ran across some of our old friends from our old home town. I could see she felt nervous, probably worrying about what they would think about Diane. But she didn't have to worry as they did not recognize me. (Why would they? I hadn't seen any of them in over 40 years.) She introduced Gail and I as her cousins and she relaxed when they greeted us as new acquaintances. One asked Janice if Gail and I were twins and she told them we were, and I think the question let her relax because she knew they saw me only as Diane. There was more dancing, including one slow dance with one of my former townies - he was a great dancer, by the way - and more conversation.

Finally, our night out wound down, we left the club to head back to their hotel, relaxed a bit once we were there, and then too soon it was time for me to go.

Before I left, I asked Janice if she had a great time and what she thought of her new sister. She wanted to know when we could do this again, so we've made plans for later this spring to get together, maybe down on Cape Cod or the Islands. I also told her something that surprised her: "Do you realize that not once have you used my male name? You've called me Diane all night." Her response surprised me: "Because you are Diane."

Then it was time for me to go. There were kisses and hugs all around, and then I was back in my car, headed south to home.

Once I got home, changed into my jammies (yes, I prefer PJ's), and cleaned up, I have to admit that I broke down and cried. With Janice's acceptance of me as her sister I felt like a weight had been lifted from my shoulders. It was just a night out with the girls, but it was one of the best nights of my life and I look forward to more time with Janice.

I did talk with Janice on the phone this afternoon and she asked me whether I had thought about telling our two sisters, Anne and Carrie, about Diane. I have given the matter much thought, but I told her I had my reasons for not doing so, at least when it comes to Carrie. But that's a post for another time.
    Last edited by Diane Edwards; 02-13-2014 at 08:49 PM.

I am so happy for you Diane, and thank you for relating that beautiful experience you had. You're blessed dear and I find myself getting all weepy here
    Barbie

I'll confess that I have nothing worthwhile to add to your heart warming story so why am I posting? Just to hear "the rest of the story". Love these threads.
    Julie

Banned Read only
    I'm still carrying the 'glow', the warmth I received from my sister.

She's been texting me all through the day, mostly with questions. I wish I could say I had an answer for all of them, but there were a few that I have to think about, including the one about whether it's time to reveal Diane to our two sisters.

As I posted earlier, I can see a big problem if the oldest of my sisters finds out. She's not exactly the tolerant type and never has been. My middle sister, Anne, is a different story. I think she has suspected for a long time but has never said anything. I'm not going to into it on this thread as I prefer to keep it a positive one. I have no desire to delve into something that would be a buzzkill because right now I'm feeling wonderful!

Banned Read only
    I have to admit that I'm still feeling 'buzzed' after my night out, almost a week later!

My sister and I have been texting, e-mailing, and talking on the phone more than we have over the past 10 years or so. It's like we're long lost siblings who have finally found each other after years apart, at least that's how it feels to me. It's like we're making up for lost time, which we are!

Frankly, I didn't expect quite this reaction..and I'm not complaining. There are so many things we have to explore, particularly as she's looking at me in an entirely different light now. More than once she's said that certain events and other things she's noticed about me in the past now make perfect sense to her. She's also been comparing notes with our cousin Gail and our mutual friend, Jo. (That's also a story for another thread!)

All in all it's been such a positive thing in my life! I'm still feeling a little overwhelmed (in a good way), seeing how it's turned out so far.

I must also take this opportunity to thank everyone on the forum who's offered support, both directly and indirectly. Even though I tend to lurk more than post, all of your posts in this great forum have let me know that I truly am not alone. And now with my new relationship with my sister, I feel it can only get better from here on.

What a wonderful and uplifting story. Thanks so much for sharing. So great to hear such a positive message. Thank you. I am so happy for you! This made my night.

I am so enveloped by this story. My heart is with you and your happiness.

wow, this is such a wonderful story Diane. If everyone in this world was more like you sister and friend, I would have come out years ago. In fact I'm sure a lot of the other girls here would have done the same. It must be wonderful knowing that you can be all the woman you need to be with them!!!

kisses
    danielle

My sister would call the police! good on you

Kiwi

Lovely stories!

I hope you and Gail and Janice continue to go from strength to strength.

I can only dream my sister would be so accepting.

Banned Read only
    Diane, I love reading of your adventure and acceptance. As to whether or not your other sisters accept you or not...Don't worry about it. You're a middle age professional. You do not have to prove yourself to anyone but yourself. One does not have to go through life pleasing or conforming to everyone's beliefs or expectations. You have one sister and some friends that accept you. If one goes through life having one or two trusted and loyal friends, which may include related family, then you're a success. Enjoy your relationships.

Diane - I don't know why, but my eyes are leaking. Joy to you!
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

Platinum Member
    That's a wonderful demonstration of acceptance and love from your family. Relax and enjoy your newly expanding world!
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt