Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To therapist or not to therapist

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy9 View Post
    My question is...Will I be wasting time and money in doing this for my SO or will we get something out of it
    Only your SO can say if it has been a be a waste of time and money and only after the event. As I read through the posts in this thread the old adage "You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make it drink" came to mind. Your SO apparently believes that you will get benefit from therapy. Do you think so as well? It has been my experience that unless YOU are prepared to embrace the advice and council of a professional in any sphere there is no benefit to be gained by seeking it. (This comes from trying to assist a step daughter with a serious drug problem, and a son with mental health issues).

I'm inclined to think you need to talk some more with your SO and discuss what each of you expects to gain from you getting therapy, but be aware that she will know if you are just going through the motions. I'm sure that you will work out the right decision for you both.
    Don't put off for tomorrow what you can do today, because if you enjoy it today, you can do it again tomorrow. - Author: James A. Michener

As others have pointed out, this is an SO issue and not really a gender dysphoria issue, at least how you described it. Both can benefit from therapy, but a clear motivation is a good idea.

Will you be wasting your time and money visiting a therapist?..... Erm, yes. Hope that helps.

Talking to a therapist was one of the best things I've done. She's great to work with, and easy to talk to. If you're not finding it helps, then maybe you have the wrong therapist.
    When the answers escape us when we start to fade
    Remember who loved you and the ones who have stayed
    Cause my body will fail, but my soul will go on
    So don't you get lonely I'm right where you are

Ok Brandy is is my free advice. See the therapist it won't be wasting money It will be good for you and probably good for your relationship. Get a well recommended therapist hopefully familiar with gender issues but if they are good it shouldn't matter. They have probably seen it all. If you don't like it or are not getting anything out of it after 2 or 3 visits sy good bye. But be as open as you can be with them I think that is the most important part also the hardest. It sounds like from your brief description you like to play dress up I can relate to that, after some play time you put your big boy pants on and take care of the rest of your responsibilities. Keeping all things in perspective and moderation
    Good luck lets us know how it works out
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sallee

I can't say enough positive things about my experience with therapy. I am an introvert and I HATE discussing my feelings and problems so I am the last person i would have ever thought would advocate for seeing a therapist but I actually find myself looking forward to that weekly visit. Today when I went I brought my new wig to get an unbiased opinion on how it looks. I wound up wearing it for the whole hour and it was a blast!
    Now the caveats: Therapy isn't a cure for your CD'ing... in my case it has helped me be honest with myself and realize that I am transgender. I absolutely agree with Audrey that you should go as a couple because it's going to help you two find a happy middle ground. And lastly don't assume the first therapist you see is going to be the one for you. You might have to shop around a little.

Good luck!

Jenn
    My blog www.transcriptsblog.wordpress.com
    Twitter: @transgirl_Jenn