Quote Originally Posted by Eryn View Post
In male clothing I have to behave as a male to appear normal, and that means a certain level of assertiveness that a normal female would not display. In female mode I don't have to display that characteristic and in fact it would detract from my presentation. That's not to say that females cannot be aggressive and even nasty.
I'm a bit disturbed by this perspective. I'm an assertive woman, more assertive than most, but that doesn't make me less of a woman, it doesn't detract from my "presentation" as a woman. And I don't see it as a negative trait ("aggressive").

This is one of the things that bothers me about people on the transgender spectrum, is that so often they feel they have to reinforce stereotypes (such as that "normal" women aren't as assertive as men), in order to be most convincing. I wish transgender people would see the opportunity that they have to help break down society's gendered expectations, instead of reinforcing them.

As a man, you don't have to play the male games if you choose not to. What will they do to an adult male who doesn't engage in the competitive one-up-manship? And when presenting as a woman, you don't have to be gentle and friendly to everyone if that's not how you're feeling that day. Let's remind the world that we're all individuals, and we have different ways of being in the world that are not always tied directly to our gender.