Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: our kids

I have 2 boys of which the youngest lives with their mother. I got my ears pierced a few months ago and my ex asked that I don't wear them when visiting as she does not want any possible influence. She worries

I'm not worried. Whether my kid is gay/straight/trans/genderqueer/etc. doesn't make a difference to me. I just want him (and any other kids we have) to be happy and be accepted for who they are. I wouldn't wish transness on my kid, it can be challenging for sure, but I am confident that he is growing up in the best possible environment if that is how he ends up identifying.
    You can call me Kat.

My Blog

Inherited or not my youngest son, is TG. I have never been able to, talked at length with him, about our affliction. We know about each other. I have given him a wig and talked about shoes with him.
    He is still having a hard time accepting himself. I know he is in counseling and has said it has helped with his self acceptance. I wish he did not have to deal with this.
    Marcia (LOVES) Blue

Marcia Blue, you have a unique opportunity. Be there for your kid!

- MM
    - Madame Moose - on my way to Anne
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    "I yam what I yam and tha's all what I yam." -- Popeye the Sailor
    "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? And when I am for myself, what am 'I'? And if not now, when?" - Hillel the Elder

I don't worry that it is or at least can be genetic, because it is. I'm technically a "Late Bloomer" as I although all the indicators were there from about kindergarten it actually wasn't until I was in my mid to late 30's that I really started the road to discovering who I am gender wise. What was the real kicker though was that during an extremely rough period in my growth and self knowledge I came out to my parents and then found out that my Father is a CD as well! Now I never had a clue but he and my Mom were members of Tri S which was basically a Organization for CD's before there was ever the internet or forums like this. Of course when they were doing this I was already out of the house, and never had an inkling of any of it. Hell, Even my little sister knew~ So here I was discovering all of this and coming to terms on my own when my whole immediate family were keeping the skeleton in the closet from me, and no-one came clean until I told them about me even when they had to have seen some of the very clear early signs during my childhood that I could only recognize in retrospect. What a trip that was.

So I do believe that the tendency is genetic, but there are many other factors that come into play too, because nature's behavior can be modified by nurture.

And as far as not wanting your kids to go through it.. the hardest thing about going through it is being alone and not feeling anyone will understand or support you, so if it is genetic and does appear, How fortunate for you kids that they would have you to give them the guidance, understanding and support they need to most importantly accept themselves.

This is one of the best stories I've ever read, a father who supports his transgender son by wearing a skirt in public:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1840290.html

Granted the dad is not trying to look feminine, so maybe this is why he can get away with it. But still, one can only hope that all parents would react the same way.
    Reine

Luckily, both of my children hit the jackpot on the genetic lottery. Yes, XX, XX! No worries about what clothes they can and cannot wear.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Tgsara View Post
    I am just worried they will be afraid to tell me ...
    Sara, you can make sure they tell you by being open about transgender issues. You don't have to tell them that you are a cross dresser but when transgender issues are on the news, for example, you can educate them right there. By telling them such things are "normal" they will not be afraid of not being normal. It's all about a parent laying the foundation via education.

Banned Read only
    I don't worry about passing it on, it's what you're born with, what they see may influence them !
    Jennifer your point about what to say to a Cding son is interesting because it won't be all that long before my eldest grandson will get to that age, so do I come out to my son to help advise him with his son ?

I'd at least try and ask the question...

Its harder because its 'new'. I got a clear sign with my Grandson's request for that dress.

- MM
    - Madame Moose - on my way to Anne
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    "I yam what I yam and tha's all what I yam." -- Popeye the Sailor
    "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? And when I am for myself, what am 'I'? And if not now, when?" - Hillel the Elder

Just a touch of class Lynn Marie's Avatar
    My father told me that homosexuality was hereditary when I was barely 17 years old. He was gay, or at least he was at that time of his life. Not a good thing to tell a questioning teenager with acne and very little self confidence! I never got over it, although now I just don't care!