Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I stood there and owned it

I stood there and owned it

I was at my favorite seamstress' shop today IN DRAB to get a 2nd fitting on a new sequin dress. The shop is in a busy shopping mall, it was just before 5 pm, the owner of the store said put on the dress and we'll see how it looks. So I put on all the pads except for the wig, had no makeup etc.... She was pinning the dress in different places and asking questions, I was thinking about everything she was suggesting and we were having a good conversation when a guy walked in to get his altered shirts back....

In the old days I would have just closed the curtain and hid behind it until the coast was clear. Today I stood there in a flashy sequin dress and didn't run for the hills. The lady dealt with her client real quickly then came back to me to finish up. Then another guy came before we could finish up in to drop off some pants and I just stood there until she was done with him. I decided to own it, why be a coward and run to hide?

You go girl
    You're a Daisy if you do! -Doc Holliday

So easily said, but often done with such difficulty. Proud of you! (:
    "She ain't waiting 'til she gets older, her feet are makin' tracks in the winter snow.
    She got a rainbow that touches her shoulder, she be headed where the thunder rolls."

-Van Halen, "Secrets"

Ya, it wouldn't have been such a big deal if I was all made up! when I'm in drab doing something like this its like being naked....
    Last edited by DAVIDA; 03-21-2014 at 04:59 AM. Reason: There is no need to quote the post right before your post.

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    Fortunately my dress-maker is not in a mall. But it was a bit nerve-wracking to get her to make my clothes to accentuate the female look -- both in the nerve it took me to go get something custom made at all, and in the fact that she is an elderly asian woman who did not have enough of a grasp of English for me to explain properly.

It is a story that at the personal level shows inner personal confidence but at another level shows how a mature society could so easily accept difference. If you had pulled the curtain none of it would have happened. Well done.

Hate that when I'm not dressed properly - waiting in line for change room to try on a pretty dress, with other females in the que, but if the dress is worth it, then it's worth it.
    Well done, besides panicking makes it more obvious.
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz

Awesome!
    Two Spirits

I remember trying on a wedding dress once and all I did was put the veil over my head, other people in the salon remarked what a wonderful bride I would make.

We all thought that was a good joke on everyone.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Gone to live my life
    Hi Launa,

Good for you. We are doing nothing illegal, immoral or wrong. If you decide to go out amongst the vanilla world the only thing you can do is own it.

Hugs

Isha

Banned Read only
    Hi Launa,
    If your new dress is tight and you were wearing heels how fast could you run anyway ?
    I had a moment like that in a shoe shop, I was in drab but trying on 4" knee high boots and a guy stood staring ! Run in those boots ? No way !

Platinum Member
    Good for you!
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Launa,

What a great lesson for the rest of us. Owning up to it is much better than panicking!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud member of the Lacey Leigh Fan Club

Platinum Member
    Hi Launa, That was great , But the guy with the shirts was probably having a WTF moment.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Perhaps the guy with shirts was thinking: "Man! I should come in and do that sometime...."

Good for you, Launa - be who you are, do what you want to do and live the dream..

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

I remember a bra fitting with forms. I am standing there (wearing a form fitting blouse) at the counter as the lady goes back for a different size. The FedEx guy arrives to make a delivery. He is feeling awkward and averts his eyes, while the lady gets the manager to sign for package.[<-- She said package. *snicker*]. So we continue to wait while that transaction is done. No big deal but like Launa said, I owned it.

fed ex guys have seen everything Marcy

That must have been a very empowering feeling.
    It's an aspiration of many on this forum.

Best wishes
    MsVal

Silver Member
    Closing the curtain after he saw you would have been sort of pointless but I may have done it anyway. Good job of just owning, as you say. As for delivery guys, some of them are on this forum too.

Way to go girl.Like they say It takes a real man to wear a dress.
    Angie

One word "pictures" girl we wanna see....................Debra

Don't sweat it... You have to look at these things from the perspective of the other person. You walk in to the store, see a guy getting fit for a dress,... you first think...that's unusual, shrug and do you business. You don't know why you say a guy in a dress...available relative helping out...an actor.....for a play etc etc... probably not thinking CDer or anything else. The only case for concern might be if you are recognised bhy someone you know, then there might be more explaining to do if they know you well enough. ...Just do it.
    Chickie

Launa, I could not be more proud of and for you. I so admire such courage, and so seldom see it!

Ena

Silver Member
    Good for you! Aren't you glad it gets easier each time you get out there? Also, did you happen to see the reactions of the men as they saw you and processed what they were seeing? That's fun,too! Sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by sandra-leigh View Post
    Fortunately my dress-maker is not in a mall. But it was a bit nerve-wracking to get her to make my clothes to accentuate the female look -- both in the nerve it took me to go get something custom made at all, and in the fact that she is an elderly asian woman who did not have enough of a grasp of English for me to explain properly.
    This would have made things really comical, I couldn't imagine yelling in the store to the seamstress, "make it tighter around the breasts and the thighs."

Quote Originally Posted by teresa View Post
    Hi Launa,
    If your new dress is tight and you were wearing heels how fast could you run anyway ?
    I had a moment like that in a shoe shop, I was in drab but trying on 4" knee high boots and a guy stood staring ! Run in those boots ? No way !
    This is funny because after this 2nd fitting the dress is tight, tight, tight in all the right places so I won't be running too fast at all! The lady was laughing at me and said get used to it. Zipping this thing up is going to be a challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Debra Russell View Post
    One word "pictures" girl we wanna see....................Debra
    Ok Debra, when I have the whole outfit built I will get some pics. I'm making a big fascinator to go with it and can't wait for the next big event to wear it out.

Quote Originally Posted by suzanne View Post
    Good for you! Aren't you glad it gets easier each time you get out there? Also, did you happen to see the reactions of the men as they saw you and processed what they were seeing? That's fun,too! Sometimes.
    Yes, it gets easier. This time seemed a little harder because I was in DRAB. It also doesn't help that this mall is very close to home and anybody coming in could have been a neighbor, friend, whoever.

Thank you for all your comments!