Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Long Hair Arouse Suspicion in GGs?

Long Hair Arouse Suspicion in GGs?

I've been wearing my hair long for many years, and often wonder what women in general think of long hair on guys. One time in a store (in drab) I heard a woman say to her friend, "his hair is nicer than mine!" (which sent my CD sensibility into a tizzy!) Many have complimented me, but I wonder if others suspect there might be a feminine component involved. That's certainly true in my case, but I also wear it long as a tribute to my 1960's - 1970's heritage (a stubborn hippie ghost!)
    At any rate it comes in handy for a crossdresser, and at 53 I'm grateful to have my hair!

Best to all,
    Brenda B

Just me thinking but I wouldn't think so

If I could grow mine out and have it look nice I'd do it in a minute. It was that way through the 60's and 70's but now mother nature has played that cruel trick on me. I'm at the point where I've finally come out and would love to have my own long full hair, but she's made me look like an extra in a monastery...darn that woman.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

In days gone by, men's hairstyles went in and out of fashion like clothing. Now it's anything goes. My lawyer, and my stock broker both have ponytails. Long hair was once a political statement, short hair showed respect for the establishment, bald was just plain freaky, and later, things like the Mohawk, and brightly colored hair made a statement.
    I think that if women point out your long hair, it's genuinely a compliment to your grooming, and style, and you shouldn't read in anything more.

I would think that the styling (cut/color and how you wear it) would be the focus of attention, not the length per se.

Kate

All I can say is enjoy it while you have it my friend. In any case, I think "suspicion" of a guy with long hair went out the window a long time ago.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

*~Plain-Vanilla TG Girl~*
    Mine has always been very long. I cut a full 12" off 5-6 months
    ago and it's already getting too long again.

Women have always liked it and complimented me on it. I assume
    if they didn't like it, they wouldn't say anything....many/most? like
    short hair on guys.

I've always cut my own bangs straight across...(like in your avatar, Brenda)
    I wanted it to look a bit on the girly side. Nobody ever seemed to have
    taken any notice, so it's worked out well.

It's gotten a silvery blondish color. I'd like to dye it, but my wife says
    not to do that....too much upkeep. I may get it professionally styled
    soon. I've been growing my bangs out in case I decided to do that.
    That'd be the first time in 30 years if I did....I just chop it off with
    shears when it gets too long....lol!

I've been playing around with wigs for several months now. So easy to
    change color and style. Long hair is Great, but it goes flat easily here
    with the heat and humidity.

Anyway...I never had any ideas of anyone thinking anything of it. Some
    nice women have liked it very much many times. They notice my nails
    are long too....but I never had any sense of them thinking anything
    out of the ordinary.

EDIT: ....Yay! it must be Kate Day! 3 Kate posts in a row within minutes of
    each other....
    Last edited by Anna H; 03-24-2014 at 08:18 AM.

So let's make it four in a row... Is that a first?

Coincidentally, there's a post in the 'Ask a GG' thread in which one of the GGs confirms that she does find it suspicious - go figure...!

I suppose it is more exceptional than it was a few years ago, but there are still plenty of ageing hippies around in any case...

I don't think I'd want the maintenance issues my wife has with long hair - much more flexible in colour and style to be a wiggy..

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Reality Check
    There are many reasons a man might wear his hair long and I doubt a typical female would associate long hair with crossdressing. Mainstream society doesn't think a lot about crossdressers.

Now if a man had short or medium hair all his life and started to grow it out and care for it as a senior citizen, that might arouse suspicion.

As nice as it would be to have natural long hair that could be styled as a woman, wigs have the advantage of providing a disguise if you're out in public and worried about being recognized.

Male - short brown hair, female - long blonde hair.
    Last edited by Krisi; 03-24-2014 at 09:09 AM.

Silver Member
    My hair is "natural curly" and I've always proudly worn it longer than most accepted guy styles. Even today it is still curly, sadly a bit thinner, and only to the ear lobes in length, sort of a "bob". Often now when out and about with some close GG's, we'd be greeted with "How are you ladies today!" and we'd all laugh - in a good way. A few years ago I met a professional hair stylist who suggested I "come in for a consultation to review my hair needs". She was wonderful, so accepting, understanding, and styled my hair into a "unisex" creation that was very easy to care for. She continues to do my hair in whatever mode I present to her! Enjoy.

Nothing like your own hair, you get used to it being long and upkeep is not that hard if you take care.
    At one time I never wore a wig for about two years.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I got a compliment on my longish hair last night at the grocery.
    Its past my shoulders and pretty close to the shoulder blades.
    The lady (late 40's in age) smiled as she walked past and I smiled back,she stopped and said I just love your hair.
    I said thanks its pretty much a mess today.She said no not at all it looks great on you.
    Do you roll it or use a curling iron on it?
    I said yes sometimes I do and she replied well it looks very well cared for and I love it.
    The way I was dressed girls jeans and girls jacket she may have thought CD'er but I doubt it.
    Last edited by Tracii G; 03-24-2014 at 09:41 AM.

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    yes...be lucky you have all of it !! ...i dont think this day and age people will think that...crossdressing is not on everyones mind as much it is ours....so there is ALOT of overthinking and paranoia amoung us over little things...the shaved body tops the chart on that though....and the real giveaway with gg's has got to be eyebrows.

I've always been a rocker, and thus, have had long hair... If you're worried about beeing read as CD when in drab, just wear a Led Zeplin t shirt, and you'l just look like an old rocker

i am very partial to longer hair and have always had it long. i am not really a wig person,
    and yes i am very thankful at my age to have a full head of hair.
    my hair is about 20 inches with a natural curl. most woman seem to love it and pay me the nicest compliments. men mostly ask
    why do i have it so long and they are usually balding and my answer is because i still have it...
    paula

Platinum Member
    Hi Brenda, Long hair on men is just as normal as any other style of hair cut.
    I'm 71 and still have a full head of hair if I would let it grow out it would probably
    be shoulder length in about a year and a half .
    Had I been born 20yrs later I'm sure that I would have long hair.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Women loved my 3 foot long ponytail. Never questioned my masculinity from that
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Aspiring Member
    I have been letting my salt and pepper hair grow out I dislike wearing wigs and I do use woman's hair dye to cover up the gray. I have found the woman's hair dye works better then the men's hair dye. I hope by fall of this year it will be down to my shoulders or close to it. Then I would like to get my ears pierced at least one hole each ear. There aren't enough clip on earrings that I like to wear but are plenty of for pierced ears.

Banned Read only
    As a guy, when I see long hair on men, I think it looks odd. I will waver between thinking "hippie" and "cross dresser" depending on his attire. The reason is that long hair is pain to deal with. Of course, I was mine in a buzz cut.

Now, in the case of balding on top and long in back, that's just sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Kate Simmons View Post
    All I can say is enjoy it while you have it my friend. In any case, I think "suspicion" of a guy with long hair went out the window a long time ago.
    Yeah now we know. Just had to tease you a little.

Reality Check
    Last edited by Sandra; 03-25-2014 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Hotlinking pics is not allowed, please read the forum rules regarding this

My hair was long when I was a teenager but nobody accused me of being a crossdresser; "fag" seemed to cover all the bases. I kept my hair buzzed up until I retired a few years ago but I haven't cut it since. There is nothing remotely feminine about it though.

When I was a teenager, long hair on guys was normal. The first guy I had a mad crush on had long, curly hair tied at the nape. I've always loved long hair on a guy and never once did it occur to me that it had anything to do with CDing. But, maybe this only holds true for my generation. My son's ex gf made her dad cut off his ponytail, she was embarrassed by it ... not because it was feminine in anyway, she just can't stand hippies.

I knew my SO for 3 years prior to our dating and being told about the CDing. S/he has long, mid-back hair and I had no clue. lol

My SO once pointed out that generally, three types of mainstream men wear long hair: those who buck political/authoritarian systems (hippies), academics/intellectuals, and rednecks. So I think that when people see a man with long hair, they have a lot of categories to pigeon-hole him into before they think of CDing.
    Reine

Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    My SO once pointed out that generally, three types of mainstream men wear long hair: those who buck political/authoritarian systems (hippies), academics/intellectuals, and rednecks.
    OMG! I'm three for three - a redneck, hippie, intellectual! And a musician, too. No wonder I have long hair.

mine doesn't seem to arouse too much suspicion, but then again I usually have it up in a bun or under a hat (it's past my hips when down, and I get too many people wanting to buy(!)/touch/have me donate it) although once I did have a couple of (rather cute) younger girls tell me how pretty it was (and for those saying it's too much work, I spend about 2-3 min/day on it (1 min brush in the morning, 10 seconds to put it in a bun w/ a hairfork, and about 1 min brush/oil in the evening before bed (and 10 sec to put a cap on), washing takes about 3 minutes once a week or so (water/conditioner only)