Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: vintage Fashions/Petticoats

vintage Fashions/Petticoats

I really enjoy looking at vintage fashions from the late 50s and early 60s, and from many high fashion houses of the day I 've seen old photos of models wearing wide skirts and petticoats. I just wonder if any of our members has ever seen a GG actually wear a petticoat.

My mother owned one, which I wore when I raided her closet (it was divine) but even she never wore it. I don't see them now anywhere but on sissy maids (adorable) but gosh what I wouldn't give to see them come back. They made such a lovely rustle....

I have to agree with you!! About the only GG"s that wear petticoats now, are the square dancers. You can see quite a few of those on Y Tube, and the club pages have some pics too. One of my fav sites is Petticoat Pond, where its devoted to pics of GG"s in petticoats.

Silver Member
    Vintage petticoats, long slips, half slips, and crinolines do sometimes appear on ebay, in thrift stores, and at a few estate sales. Recall attending a 50's to 60's event where everyone was dressed in attire of that period. Even the backround (cars, outdoor furniture, etc.) was from that era. It was all so beautiful and relaxing! Sadly, all that is considered the "past" and it is doubtful if that style lingerie will be fashionable again, except for maybe a few brides dresses. Enjoy.

I wish they would come back. I have seen a few dresses and skirts that I think would look really cute with a petticoat peeking out and the added fullness.

Did you say shopping? Caden Lane's Avatar
    The only reason I watch Mad Men is the women's fashions. They sure knew how to dress back then.
    "These aren't 'women's clothes'. These are my clothes. I bought them with my own money."
    Eddie Izzard

I'm flipping genders, what's your super power?!?!

Please visit my wordpress blog: http://southerncrossdresser.wordpress.com

Aspiring Member
    It would be great to have wide skirts and petticoats again!

I always enjoy wearing a large hooped and lacy petticoat with my costumes that require one.

Banned Read only
    Really, just the rubbery smell of a Playtex 18hour girdle! Remember that?

I have and wear a petticoat with one particular peasant skirt I own. Yes, it's way out of fashion for the times, but I like wearing it, so I do. Why not. It's a look, I like it, it's fun and isn't that what it's all about!

Cassie

Banned Read only
    I've seen GG's wear petticoats with poodle skirts at retro class dances. Of course there is the square dancing crowd. Petticoats are easily obtainable on eBay (new and vintage). Of course, you need to buy a very full skirt or dress. I do have several vintage half slips that have a layer of crinoline or two.

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TxCassie View Post
    . Why not. It's a look, I like it, it's fun and isn't that what it's all about!

Cassie
    yea...especially if you are just dressing at home for fun or in the closet......you could wear a ball gown from the 1700's ...and dance like nobody is watching....may turn a few heads out in public.....but thats what halloween is for!

Aspiring Member
    I love the petticoats, slips, and fashionable items from the 50's and early 60's as that was part of my childhood and my first cross-dressing experiences. I enjoy watching "Mad Men" for the fashion, and I also enjoy the sweet Lolita and Brolita fashions for their petticoats and feminine style. Some Japanese rock bands use them in their costumes including cross-dressing. Yohio and Hizaki look good in petticoats.

Gold Member
    I love the petticoats, slips, and fashionable items from the 50's and early 60's also; But today most GG's
    do not wear dresses or skirts on a Daly bases; they wear pants.
    So if nobody buys them they stop making them.
    Rader

Aspiring Member
    Love this thread. Born in the 50's and a catholic grade school we always had "May Crowning" mass where the lower grade girls wore their Communion dresses and marched to the alter. I sat on the homebound bus with the girl that was honored to do the crowning. She looked beautiful in this crispy white dress full of layers on tricot and netting. We sat together in the last seat on the bus which was smaller due to the rear door. Never, ever, forget that ride. I missed my stop and was taken home by her mother. Gave me a second chance for her to sit next to me and watch her peel away the layers...I wonder where she is and did she know I was watching sooooo intensively? Ah. too young.
    Thanks for a trip back in life and the thread!
    Fortuneta

".....but thats what halloween is for!"

Adriana, not quite sure what you meant by this last statement, is it only appropriate to wear one for Halloween, or you would look like you are wearing a Halloween costume if you wear one at some other time?

I occasionally see some you girl who is into vintage fashion wear a layered slip, crinoline or other under a period dress when I am out in the city. It is not common, but definitely looks different and nice. No clown or Halloween look there. Last weekend I went to a vintage clothing fair in San Francisco, which had mostly women's vintage clothes and accessories and some booths with men's things too. The crowd of attendees was interesting too, including older people as well as younger women and girls too. Some even came in period clothing and looked really good. I bought two (black and white) multi-layered nylon/rayon half slips for about $15.00 each for use with a couple of skirts and dresses that I have. I only want a to make the full flow of the skirt part of the dress or the skirt itself to fluff out some and then have only a hint of the slip show. Hopefully, that will be one more added element and feature of my outfit that will take away from my other male features.

I have a couple of skirts and dresses that have a bit of lace showing at the bottom (basically a short trim piece) to give the impression that there is a slip underneath. It is just one way to add a bit of vintage to a modern fabric and design and add a bit more femininity to that style. I really do not like the stiffness to the taffeta and some crinoline materials, as it is too noisy, rough and stiff for my tastes. I prefer that layered nylon/rayon for the softer feel, no noise and additional volume at the bottom of a flowing skirt or dress.

I still have some, they take up a lot of space especially the tulle ones, a bit of starch makes them really stand out.
    I wore them for square dancing until a few years ago.
    If I wear them now it is under a full skirt and white bobby sox with sneakers.
    A nice low cut peasant blouse to top it off.
    I am Blonde too.
    Last edited by Beverley Sims; 03-30-2014 at 12:06 PM.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I love pettis - i regularly wear 6 or 7 under circle skirts and dresses. The feeling is immense, so so nice, really transformative. I dress to please myself and as part of fantasy play, round the house. I do sometimes imagine going our dressed like that, im sure i would receive a lot of attention. I also love silk scarves, corsets, chunky costume jewellery and heavy make up, so I am sure you can imagine my look all dolled- up :-)

I have a very nice collection of vintage slips half-slips petti-pants and crinolines. I have my one Aunt's poodle skirt that I have worn to several costume events. But for everyday you seldom see many GG's wearing slips, but occasionally I do see one in a skirt or dress and the breeze shows some lace beneath the hem.

Aspiring Member
    I always wear a petticoat when I wear a long skirt.

When I am costuming I always like an outfit that requires a large hooped petticoat.

The one I have is 115" and is filled with lace around each hoop and the bottom.

Guess I am old fashioned but after all I am 71!

I also love petticoats and the dressess that go with them .I own 5 full petticoats and 3 dressess that go very nicely with them
    I have a hubcap diamond star halo

Aspiring Member
    Ally, you are a girl after my own heat! - I love petticoats!

From very early experiments in dressing I would wear several layers of sisters skirts to create the effect of pettis - i didnt evem know what they were called when I first stared - just that women in old fashioned films wore them and the effect of skirts sticking out like that was outlandish and deliciously feminine. They make performing tasks and moving normally much more difficult, but create beauty and grace with their movement. I love trying to do every day tasks whilt wearing 6 net petticoats - it feels so good to feel them, like a wonderful feminine prison. Mmmm mmmm.

Fun wearing 200 - 400 yards of pettis under a super wide skirt. Also wear a full slip with lots of lace, panties, stockings, garters, see thru bra with protruding breast forms under a sheer blouse, high heels and a very long wig with red hair. Hard to drive a car but worth the effort to reach the destination. Did this for Halloween two years ago(240 yds of pettis from malco modes). Checked out by many women who wanted to see my pettis. Where did I buy them. Could they feel my boobs. Had some dance with me. Many came to the dance floor to watch the pettis and lift my skirts and count the layers . Lots of smartphone photos taken. Ladies try dressing this way its a hoot.

I remember back in the 80s, when women were still more likely to dress up for work and wear hosiery, that many would still wear slips of some sort under their dresses, as you could occasionally get a peek of the lace from the slip poking out from under the skirt/dress. Those were the days (in my youth) when women still dressed somewhat classy.

I have always wanted to experience dressing in clothes from the 1860's.
    Amanda

I bought this very eclectic full-length ball gown to wear at the Keystone Gala Ball. I dedidec to accessorize it with a crinoline to make the skirt poof out more and satin gloves. I got them both on eBay and had them shipped here from China.

Reminds me that I still have to post some Keystone pics.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.