Thread: CDers and Burlesque?

GG/SO of a CD

CDers and Burlesque?

So Luca and I had a laugh, well I had a laugh about Luca this last weekend.

I bought us tickets to a burlesque show for his birthday.

I love burlesque! Who can't love hot girls taking their clothes off in an intricate story line.

Luca said that he didn't think very many cis-gendered men liked burlesque. It was mostly a "girl thing."

I asked him why he liked it so much then? He of course said the outfits!

The story was called "Disney after dark" and each set was a take on a Disney character. There was even a story line character of a man who went around after each girls set and took an item of her clothing. At the end, he was dressed in random pieces, even wearing heels and he was a "princess." Another character was the famous blue fairy, played by a man in a dress the whole show!

The burlesque community seems to really open to the transgendered population. So maybe the transgendered population is more open to it than say regular stripping?

So it got me thinking about asking you all a question?

Have you been to a burlesque show?
    Would you BE in a burlesque show?
    Is it really something that CDers would appreciate more than non CDers?
    Do you think there is a reason for this?

Just a fun discussion question about a possible difference in CDers perceptions?

Quote Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
    Haven't been but would go.
    I would be in it if I looked enough like a girl to play a girl part.
    I don't think CDers appreciate it more. I would go to see the girls, the clothes would be an added benefit.
    Some CDers would like the clothes before they liked the girls. But, your SO? Don't let him fool ya, he was also looking at the girls! LOL!

I've never been to one myself but since I like to perform en femme anyway, always thought I'd like to do it.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Greenie said
    The burlesque community seems to really open to the transgendered population. So maybe the transgendered population is more open to it than say regular stripping?
    Greenie , you are indeed correct. I've been to many burlesque shows all over New York City and New Jersey dressed as female....trans, whatever you want to call it, and I find the culture (audience & performers) to be very accepting.

As far as stripping at burlesque shows, I've seen things at a few shows that cannot be unforgotten.

Green, first & foremost, we are men & most men enjoy going seeing burlesque / strip tease. We love looking at pretty feminine bodies in suggestive poses. Adding the cd component only hightens the enjoyment. I would not suspect that many cders would enjoy "performing " in public since our male bodies cannot compete with a woman's physique. Glad that you both enjoyed the show & enjoy doing things together . Peace, mel

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    Have you been to a burlesque show?...yes...and my favorite being a Vampire Burlesque Show....

Would you BE in a burlesque show? ...maybe if you picked up the bar tab

Is it really something that CDers would appreciate more than non CDers? .....I think everyone kinda finds them sexy, but I could see why
    Do you think there is a reason for this? What cd'r dosent like strutting in sexy clothing...i just had 2 corsets show up in my mailbox today!

Just a fun discussion question about a possible difference in CDers perceptions?
    they can be fun

No, I'd like to go to one though.

Pour a couple of drinks down me, you could probably twist my arm.

Don't know, I think that those who are experiencing gender questions in their own mind might be more susceptible.

That kind of show, (does Rocky Horror Show count?) show up certain aspects of sexuality conflicts, and misunderstandings, and probably help people to confront parts of themselves that they don't like looking at.
    "Normal is what you get when you average out the weirdness that everybody has." Quote from my SO

Normal is a setting on a washing machine, or another word for average.

The fact that I wear a skirt as a male should not be taken as a comment on what you do, or do not wear, or how you wear it.

1 No not with GGs. Closest ive seen was a ladyboy show in Bangkok. Lots based on burlesque.
    2 Yes if they would have me.
    3 if its GGs in it then all hetero men (inc most CD) are interested and not for the costumes. If i was in it then its more like a ladyboy show and the audience is a bit different. Id guess more CDs interested in ladyboy show. Were several in audience, many without wigs which i guessed was due to vacation and spur of moment thing.
    4 By definition all hetero men like GGs. Its as simple as that. CD may also want the clothes as well as the girl.
    Talisker because i like the taste and dont need another name or personality but needed some letters (numbers arent allowed on here). Found out later its a rare mans name on a small scottish island.

Sexually attracted to things with human female characteristics - Talisker, GGs, CDs, cheetara etc.
    Male things can be useful a CD accessory and for drinks or currys, directions and lifting stuff.

Never been, never would, not my thing and I just can't see the attraction of it if I'm honest?

Quote Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
    Luca said that he didn't think very many cis-gendered men liked burlesque. It was mostly a "girl thing."
    Burlesque was invented to entertain men! Luca should do a google image search for "burlesque". What man wouldn't like it? lol

My SO and I went to a burlesque show once. He liked it a lot more than I did. His ex-girlfriend was on stage wearing nothing but a Gstring and pasties.
    Reine

Mimi and I went to see "Tease if You Please," a recreation of Vaudeville era Burlesque, in LA last month with a group of other TG folks and their spouses.

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...ow!&highlight=

We had a great time and were surprised to find that the audience was about 75% female with quite a few apparent GNO groups enjoying the show!
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Gold Member
    My wife and me went to a Burlesque in New Orleans many years ago; How ever, it was more like a
    Can-Can show. Wow, could those girls dance; we where tired just watching them.
    It was a G rated show compared to some I have herd about.
    Rader

Aspiring Member
    I have never been to a burlesque show.

I would consider being in one. Depending what I would have to do.

I think CDer might like it over non CDer's .

Why? Because of the great costumes and dressing up possibilities. Burlesque is a little more liberal than normal theatre.

The non-GG next door.... Candice Mae's Avatar
    The question to ask is if anyone would want to see you in a burlesque show, I don't think I would be comfortable being in one anyway.

I work in a burlesque, not as a performer (I don't have that in me!), and obviously as I'm not out and keeping things professional I'm there in male mode. But I really enjoy being there seeing all the nice girls and guys dressed up and putting on a good show. In fact this is one of the few jobs that I always look forward to go to!

Katie x

Reine - there was me thinking that pasties were an edible delicacy from Cornwall!
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

*~Plain-Vanilla TG Girl~*
    I've never been to one in person, but surely would Love to.

I'm not much of a performer...but I could volunteer to be of
    assistance with costume changes. (yep, i could do that. lol!)

I would love to perform on stage, as a female maybe some day !
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

I've never been to a burlesque show and would consider going to one. I think it would be sort of fun.
    I wouldn't BE in a burlesque show. I don't have a problem with going out dressed etc. but I am quite cognoscente of my acting / dancing / singing talent and I do not think that anyone outside of my poor long suffering family should be subjected to them. Also there is something a little conservative in me that says underwear and underwear alluding clothes are for private viewing only.
    I suspect guys are probably "scared" of burlesque in a similar way to the way many are "scared" of drag shows. Burlesque takes it that one step further away from being comical and this I suspect makes a lot of gender and sexuality straight guys nervous for goodness knows what reason, latent homoerotic feelings? who knows. In this respect CD's, particularly those who are comfortable with themselves, probably don't have these hang ups and are happy to view the show for what it is, entertainment.

I say "yes", "yes", no and not applicable.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I'd like to go, i would need to cultivate some talent before i went on stage. I'd like someone to go with. A friend of mine calls it drag when she (an attractive woman) goes all out with makeup and heels etc. I think burlesque and my feeling of Xdressing have similar aims, to own sexy femininity.

Aspiring Member
    A member (Becky, known as "Heisthebride") actually took a burlesque class and was made to feel very welcome.
    http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...t=heisthebride
    Last edited by Sheren Kelly; 03-30-2014 at 08:39 AM.
    Warmly,
    Sheren Kelly

Exclamation CDers and Burlesque?

Have been to five live burlesque shows at a local theater. The theater was vacant after closing in the 1970's due to lack of customers. The building was used for storage for quite a few years. The local community collage, Metropolitan University raised funds to renovate the theater and have live theater events. The theater is Mounds Theater in St Paul, Minnesota. I went to two shows by myself then with another transgendered friend to three more. I consider myself transgendered rather than a crossdresser. One of the MC's calls herself Mrs Smith, "From the comic imagination of actor David Hanbury". I would consider Mrs Smith a CD. She had a skit in the show about her lost cat Carlyle. I would not be a participant in a burlesque show. There are male burlesque performers in the shows, three males who call themselves "Stage Door Johnny's" from Chicago, IL. The audience is encouraged to participate in the show by clapping, whistling and 'hooting' while the performers take off their clothes. It is a lot of fun to go to these live shows. The next live show at Mounds Theater will be May 24, 2014. I will not be able to attened as my transgendered friend is graduating from technical school that evening and I am invited to attend the graduation ceremony.

I have been to burlesque shows twice with my wife in Paris. The first time it was at the Moulin Rouge. We had a table right next to the stage. At one point, one of the dancers winked at my wife and sweaped her skirt out over my head as she made her way off stage.
    The next trip to Paris we went to a show at the Crazy Horse. The show wasn't the spectacle that the Moulin Rouge was, so my wife didn't enjoy it as much. But I still liked the show. I wish I could have been there when Dita Von Teese was there.

GG/SO of a CD
    Thanks for all the awesome replies everyone!