Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The 'cost' of dressing

Part-time girl... Tracy Hazel Lee's Avatar

The 'cost' of dressing

Has anyone ever took the time to add up all the financial costs involved in creating a 'one-time' female image?

Last Halloween, I opted to let my inhibitions slide and go to a party fully dressed. And I mean FULLY. Wig, clothes, makeup, breast forms, padded butt, body shaper... the whole ensemble. These people were my closest friends, and was confident that nobody would react negatively. I was correct. I was the talk of the party. I even won best costume (not fair, I know. But I accepted it anyways..lol).

So I thought to myself, if somebody were to ask me, how much money did you spend on this 'costume', they would probably be mortified. Fortunately, nobody asked that question. But I decided anyways, to add up all the items to see how much 'money' I was actually wearing. Here's what I came up with:

Skirt suit $90, Shirt $40, shoes $50, hose $12, breast forms $200, Veronica 2 hip enhancer $180, body shaper $50, butt pads $60, wig $50, wig cap $5, gaff $15, foundation $10, loose powder $10, liner $12, shadow $9, bronzer $9, highlighter $8, mascara $10, lip pencil $10, contact lenses $25, earrings $20.

So if I had to buy everything at once to re-create my entire look, the total cost would be $875!!!

And these prices are estimates, I didn't include face soap or razor costs, nor did I include any shipping costs involved in getting some of these items. So saying $900 would not be unrealistic.

Wow, that was an eye opener.
    Last edited by Tracy Hazel Lee; 03-29-2014 at 02:05 PM.
    Tracy Hazel Lee

@URNA @Flickr

Gold Member
    Yes the numbers do run up. But look at it this way, How much did you spend on
    your last new car? Buying male clothes? So it is all relative, fun never cost that
    much before?
    Rader

I am faced with the cost of my dressing everytime my wife and I go shopping. We like to do this matching thing. It's silly I know but we have fun. So everytime we add to our wardrobe everything requires being purchased X2. Two dresses, two scarves, etc etc. before all this my wardrobe consisted of a few pair of jeans, a couple pair of slacks, a couple dress shirts some shorts and shirts. I couldn't go through a whole week without wearing the same pants more than once. (Didn't really care). Now... Damn there's a lot of clothes in my closet and drawers.

Hug
    Rita
    A person should wear what he likes to. And not just what other folks say. A person should be who she likes to. A person's a person that way!
    ~Marlo Thomas~

i dont need the butt-a-zizer as I already have that (hips be fine too)..but yea its not cheap....i need new forms and have been hesitant to purchase...make up is what irks me...damn that stuff aint cheap..but when i need it-it needs to be there (if she has not pilfered it which is usual case)...

Silver Member
    Looking at the "cost" from a different angle, it should never be the price we pay, but the satisfaction and acceptance of the presentation! Enjoy.

When I look at the cost of a CD life, the satisfaction and instant stress reduction, the deep hypothalamic pleasure of an intensity that little else comes close, it is cheap by comparison to most other activities.

HUGS,

Flo

This is simple. You need to dress a lot more so that the cost per episode goes down! Simple economics.

I have never added up the costs for my dressing, one time or all together but I can imagine how much it has come to. Matter of fact, tomorrow my SO and I are going to go shopping to add even more costs to it lol
    Flip Flops were made for Beaches & Bath Houses, We have neither in 2017. Lose the flip flops!

Aspiring Member
    I contemplated this as I purchased some new things recently.

It really dose add up and it adds up weather you are CD or GG!! As a CD I look at it as a hobby expense much like others would look at the cost of golf or boating. I could have bought a really nice boat for what I have spent on my wardrobe!!..........but I can't use the boat in the winter

I never give my S.O. static about what she spends on clothing and such.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Joanne~ View Post
    Matter of fact, tomorrow my SO and I are going to go shopping to add even more costs to it lol
    Fun stuff!

At the end of the day, regardless of how much or how little I may have spent, I have never felt happier.

Hug
    Rita
    A person should wear what he likes to. And not just what other folks say. A person should be who she likes to. A person's a person that way!
    ~Marlo Thomas~

I've realized it's expensive to be a girl....but I'm worth it!

As always there are ways to do things for less. Just went out for dinner and here is the list price.

Dress and sweater $28 (Ross), shoes $18 (Payless), Hose $4 (Costco 3pack), butt and hip pads $6 (self made foam), Breast forms $24 (nu-bra from Target), push up bra $9 (Ross, nice cleavage), Wig and wig cap $39, gaff $0 (tight panties and top of old control top hose), earrings $4 (Clair's buy 2 get 1 free), Glasses $9 (Clair's, clear lenses, make up $3 ($90 divided by 30 uses?), Purse $17 (Payless).

$161 and all but the makeup has been used and will be used over and over.
    Live and let dress.

No one ever said that being a woman was cheap Hon.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

The non-GG next door.... Candice Mae's Avatar
    Considering I'm usually wearing $60 in underwear to start with, and probably $200-250 for a full outfit. And having a complete second set of personnel hygiene products, the cost certainly adds up. But since I'm not really a CD anymore it is a necessary cost.

I try not to think about that anymore than I think about my property taxes....lol
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

WIG.........$ X
    FORMS......$ Y
    DRESS......$ Z

Spending an Evening Out Dressed.......................PRICELESS !

Part-time girl... Tracy Hazel Lee's Avatar

Heh.. don't get me wrong here

I'm not complaining one bit that this hobby consumes mass amounts of time and money. If I didn't love it, I wouldn't be doing it.

I just never thought to add up all those items together, just to see the final cost. I just though it was a little crazy. It made me laugh to think that if someone asked me how much I spent on my Halloween costume, and I said. 'Oh..around $850'. What kind of reaction I would get.
    Tracy Hazel Lee

@URNA @Flickr

Banned Read only
    Being totally en femme for stress relief is a lot cheaper than one day in the psych ward!

Quote Originally Posted by Laura912 View Post
    This is simple. You need to dress a lot more so that the cost per episode goes down! Simple economics.
    ^this! Even a wedding gown would be considered reasonably priced if you could wear it until it wore out.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StevieTV View Post
    I've realized it's expensive to be a girl....but I'm worth it!
    I love this!!!!

Well, I'll bet the stuff you got is far better than the usual "costume", costumes that really are for single use. If you had gone that route everyone would have known who you were and no prize for best costume sweetie. Quality shows and costs too.

The stuff you did get will still be good years down the road. So threat them well and they will treat you well.

In my case, I would need to go out in drab if i wanted to use a "costume." Its been more than a little while.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. Mark Twain

I won't even venture a guess at how much I've spent in 53 years of dressing.
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

still a lot cheaper than a Harley, corvette, or a Boston whaler....
    ....Mykell
    i dressed like a girl and i liked it! crossdressing...theirs an app for that

Ya but we could always have our cake and eat it too!!!!!!!! We would sure look hot all dressed up in our fancy clothes and a nice corvette!

I would have to work on a wardrobe to help go with a Boston Whaler

I have a model railway engine that cost $900 and carriages to go behind it for another $600, forget the controller, other rolling stock, track and room to house this monstrosity.
    I have a radio transmitter and aerials to to talk around the world, conservatively priced with peripherals around $3000.
    Satellite Television and a sixteen foot diameter dish and other dishes as well, forget about the price.

Dressing is much cheaper and provides me with enjoyment without commercials.

A one time dressup for me.
    Shoes $5, Dior dress, $20, gloves $5, Earrings $5, Lingerie $30, new of course and the other clothing was charity shop buys.
    I believe the Dior dress was probably $300 or more.

I can go out for $65 or casual for about five on sale at Target.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.