Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The 'cost' of dressing

I am a bargain hunter but I also like to splurge every now and then on nicer things like designer shoes etc. I did my taxes recently and found I spent a little over $2,400 last year... Thats about 200 bucks a month but a girl needs to pamper herself

Part-time girl... Tracy Hazel Lee's Avatar

You nailed it

Quote Originally Posted by SherriePall View Post
    The cost isn't as high as it might first appear. Afterall, by my calculations, you spent about $560 on one-time items (forms, padding, wig, etc.). But then, if it makes you feel good and it accomplished your goal, the money was well spent.
    I have to admit that my "start-up" costs were lower as I try to never buy anything full price. Well, except for my hair (which I can never tell anybody how much I paid). However, I have taken care of my hair for many years now and it still treats me well, so even that expenditure was well worth it.
    Actually, aren't we all worth it?
    'Start-up cost' is an even better description.

Of course there are the items that are 'consumable' and need continued re-supply. I couldn't even begin to add all those up. And honestly, I don't actually want to know that kind of detail.

All of the items like pads, forms, wig etc., were all purchased separately and with MUCH time in between. I started this thread to highlight just how easy it is to forget how much money is spent on it when it happens over such a long period of time.

Someone who does not partake in any dressing activities, and has no idea of the costs involved, would likely be blown away by how much could be spent on this.
    Tracy Hazel Lee

@URNA @Flickr

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Amanda Roberts View Post
    Well only a couple weeks into this adventure I have already spend over $300 just for my makeup and a couple of pieces of clothing and hair. ~Amanda
    Ah yes I remember being in SF years ago without fem stuff. I went in and spent most of my cash (before credit cards) on makeup which I could have purchased for a fraction at a drugstore. Then a bunch on lingerie only to realize that I didn't have enough left to buy a dress or wig. The bad part I had met a really nice accepting couple who wanted to go out to dinner. I had to go in drab. Oh Well. I learned to budget and buy the most important things first.

If i was just going out one time the cost would be enormous but over a number of outings the cost goes down. I can think of other passions that cost a lot more and give a lot less. Want to go bass fishing? Boats run $30K to $40k. Want to fly? $100,000 will get you a basic plane. Against this the cost of CDing sounds cheap!
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

The cost of dressing is a wonderful and sometimes painful process. For me, this past year, I have given into my basic need and desire to be a woman and that meant buying a lot of clothes and shoes, lots of shoes…..I have learned through trial and error what styles work, what brands seem to fit, and what I want to buy next. My wife is very supportive, and is sometimes jealous of the clothes I purchase. Right now, I think the most expensive aspect of cross dressing will be the construction of a walk-in closet big enough to accommodate my needs. I am becoming a high maintenance girl and enjoying each high heeled step.

I never have to worry about cost because I secretly wear mothers clothes&they are ultra expensive?

Platinum Member
    Hi Tracy, At 71 years old, With three closets full of clothes 130+ pairs of shoes, With wigs and lingerie I shutter
    to think of how much that all of that enjoyment has cost me.
    But I probably would do it again.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

I consider this question any time I feel the need to purge (which as I've gotten older is far less frequent). I've spent thousands between clothing and make up, but I like the perspective borough on this thread, any hobby costs money. My hobby just looks cute.