Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The 'cost' of dressing

Quote Originally Posted by Jilmac View Post
    I won't even venture a guess at how much I've spent in 53 years of dressing.
    WOW, I so agree with you...

Whatever my cost has been, it would skyrocket if I won the lottery! :-) Except for a quality pair of breastforms and an Eva Gabor wig, I've always had to economize. I'm not too good to settle for less, but after so many years it would be wonderful to get to splurge a bit. First on the list would be designer clothes and expensive jewelry -- and an uninterrupted 30-day Sherri getaway.

Banned Read only
    Well, I doubt if some of the stuff that many of the ladies here wear can be found at most Thrift Stores. [Maybe the high end ones?] BUT, I have bought a half dozen or so pairs of jeans there [after trying on several hundred pair] and likely 2 or 3 dozen pairs of shorts and a half dozen pairs of heels over the years. They [the one close to me] stocks hundreds of dresses, tops, jackets etc., in every size and color imaginable. Most stuff can be bought for about 10 to 15 cents on the dollar. It's not at all unusual to see 40-60K cars in the parking lot.

"I won't buy or wear used stuff" is a common cry here. Which is really rather silly if it's based on PERCEPTION of germs and the REALITY of the real dangers out in the RW.

One CAN save a ton of money at Thrift stores if they have plenty of time and patience and are capable of learning a few tricks.
    Last edited by Wildaboutheels; 03-30-2014 at 12:41 PM. Reason: sp

Tonya, the SHOE monster! rocketscientist's Avatar
    I too can't begin to imagine the amount I've spent(and continue to spend) on my femme wardrobe. Last time I counted shoes about 3 years ago I had 260+ pairs. And that was then! Haven't counted since. Maybe 30 pair of jeans. An untold number of skirts,shorts and casual pants. Though I'm not a huge dress girl I probably have in excess of 50 of them. And tops, OMG! It's actually easier for me to find something femme to wear in my house than something male! This is not including the costs for forms, makeup and other personal care items. I reason it away by buying a lot of thrift items. But it's not too thrifty with the frequency I shop, which is almost everyday. One time I did have to get everything to dress at once. I was attending a funeral in Kokomo,IN that was on a Thursday morning. I took that day and Friday off from work. After the funeral I decided that I would spend the rest of the weekend in Indy enfemme, even tho I hadn't brought anything with me. I bought the wig for $52. at the same shop I got some cheap eyeshadow and some basic jewelry for about $12. Next stop was a local Goodwill store where I got a skirt and a nice top for $8. Then had to go to Wallyworld to get the few things I couldn't skimp on, namely the Almay eyeliner I use exclusively and cheap NYC foundation that works well for me and Physicians Formula translucent powder. About $20 for those. Lastly, were the shoes. I found some white lacy wedges at Sears for $10 on clearance. The forms you may ask? I used a couple well rolled t-shirts. Lol. I figure now if there's even a remote chance I might wanna do something like this again I should carry a bag in the back of my Jeep with an extra wig,forms and a few other essentials. That way it won't cost me nearly as much next time.
    "Be yourself, everyone else is already taken" = Oscar Wilde

Part-time girl... Tracy Hazel Lee's Avatar

Thank you for all the great replies!

The common theme here is that all hobbies (that people are passionate about) are expensive when you take the time and add up all the details. But even 'expensive' is highly subjective, and usually only thought of like that by someone who doesn't 'get it'. I have never felt that I spend too much on my dressing activities, but if I had to break down the details to any of my friends, they might think I need my head examined.

Tracy Hazel Lee

@URNA @Flickr

Well, assuming that you are into "guy" things as well, compare the cost of your special outfit to, say, a set of quality golf clubs or head-to-toe hockey gear (just ask Karren Hutton ) Or to put it another way, how much do you spend annually on expensive restaurant meals, booze, or fancy vacations? Or in some cases - cigarettes (especially in Canada, with its high tobacco-related taxes). That monster SUV or truck that you might be driving, where putting $100 worth of gas into the tank at a pop is not unusual, just to then blow it out the tailpipe soon afterwards?...

It's really all relative, and comes down to whatever floats your boat. Who can really put a price tag on how much pleasure and enhanced quality of life our crossdressing gives us? Life is short, and you can't take it with you...

Silver Member
    I have a big wardrobe, but love to hunt for bargains. But, luckily I can afford it and equate my hobby with golf, boating or whatever.

Just a touch of class Lynn Marie's Avatar
    In my 60 or so years of boyhood I've pretty much pursued just about all of the commonly accepted "hobbies" and interests we men fall prey to. I'm now pursuing my pilots license! Cost has never seemed to be a problem with me although my ex had a problem or two with them! In each of these pursuits I eventually come to my senses and slow down on the spending and start enjoying the finer points of the sports like the social aspects. The constant spending seems to me a whole different problem area of trying to feel good by acquiring more and more stuff. It's really sort of a sickness.

After spending freely for so many years on so many interests it's a wonder I have two dimes to rub together!

Worlds Prettiest Dad!!! Jocelyn Quivers's Avatar
    I also have no desire in wanting to know how much I've spent over the years. I just look at it as money spent on a lifetime investment, with occasional losses due to ill fitting clothes, clothes that do not look proper once en-femme, damaged clothes, clothes thrown away by wife because she say's I have not worn that particular item in very long time and it's taken up closet space, clothes taken by wife and worn so often they have shrunk and no longer fit me(not complaining at all on the last two, I consider myself quite lucky in fact), wigs which looked great on the model not so much on me, damaged hosiery, etc. Another hidden and very expensive cost, money spent on dieting/healthy food, exercise (running shoes, weights, outfits, equipment etc.)
    [SIZE="3"]MUSCULAR GIRLS ARE PRETTY!!![/SIZE]

Current Inspirational Song-"Running Free"- Kissin Dynamite

M-E-A-T, M-A-C-H-I-N-E, MEAT MACHINE!, MEAT MACHINE!!!
    The Governor for President 2016!!
    All I want for Christmas is an Anita Model Synth

0 to trans in 60 seconds! Donnagirl's Avatar
    Don't even want to add it up.... Thousands!!!! So much bought that doesn't fit or doesn't look or feel right and subsequently donated...

I am the a-typical impulse buyer, eBay addict and compulsive hoarder...

Thank god for loads of storage room and disposable income. Although I always need more shoes...
    Call me Donna, please

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sherri View Post
    Whatever my cost has been, it would skyrocket if I won the lottery!
    Oh, for sure! I could only imagine going to a premier makeover artist and saying, "Make me ravishing and money's no object" In the 50 or so years I've been doing this I've spent quite a bit of money. OMG, I don't want to think about the cost of purges. But, when I walk out of the thrift shop with 3 high end bras (Frederick's, Chantelle and Bali) for $12.00 and a fabulous little spring dress for $4.99, the cost to pleasure ratio is quite desirable. As far as I'm concerned, a week staying dressed as Carla is way more fabulous than the expense of a structured vacation.
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

Just started on buying and already too much. Will I stop hell no! I think it will help that I came across a place to buy womens but made to fit men. Should save on wasted amazon purchases that never fit right or we're just plain junk.
    Avi

Quote Originally Posted by CarlaWestin View Post
    Oh, for sure! I could only imagine going to a premier makeover artist and saying, "Make me ravishing and money's no object" In the 50 or so years I've been doing this I've spent quite a bit of money. OMG, I don't want to think about the cost of purges. But, when I walk out of the thrift shop with 3 high end bras (Frederick's, Chantelle and Bali) for $12.00 and a fabulous little spring dress for $4.99, the cost to pleasure ratio is quite desirable. As far as I'm concerned, a week staying dressed as Carla is way more fabulous than the expense of a structured vacation.
    I sooo agree with Carla,I shop at thrift stores and thus can buy a whole lot more items...I have bought several dresses and atleast 4 pairs of heels lately and several bracelets and pairs of earrings...total cost was was about $30.00 not all bought on the same day or the same thrift store...I try and go on their 50% off days....some of the shoes were never worn before.....I just love thrift stores and I feel that my CD,ing doesn't hurt my budget very much....and it is cheap therapy!

Well,,, I'm an Avon lady, and I get all my personal stuff at cost. Even at that it still ads up really fast! And there is usually something new I want in each new brochure. Be it jewelery, shoes, a dress, makeup, perfume..... the list goes on.
    But, on the other hand, the stuff I buy for myself I can say "Oh well, I'll just chalk it up to advertising". (Yea! Advertising!)
    That can be a slippery slope to, as if causes me to buy even more stuff I don't really need. It' s so much easier to walk away from a rack at WalMart, where I pay full price, and have to "justify the purchase" to my already empty purse! (don't make me count my shoe collection)

I second what others are saying: any hobby you take up seriously is going to cost a bit. But the thing that really bugs me is make-up. Even with a store discount, it still burns a massive hole in my purse!

The cost isn't as high as it might first appear. Afterall, by my calculations, you spent about $560 on one-time items (forms, padding, wig, etc.). But then, if it makes you feel good and it accomplished your goal, the money was well spent.
    I have to admit that my "start-up" costs were lower as I try to never buy anything full price. Well, except for my hair (which I can never tell anybody how much I paid). However, I have taken care of my hair for many years now and it still treats me well, so even that expenditure was well worth it.
    Actually, aren't we all worth it?
    Sherrie Lynn Pall

Sometimes I make sense and that frightens me.

Please don't let me be the last post on this thread

The startup costs (which seem to run in the $700 to $1,000 range based on previous posts) are worth it when you consider the good feeling you get. Where I'm paying the price is what seems like every time I walk into a store (Dress Barn, Kohls, Target, Walmart, Goodwill, even the pharmacy with its makeup displays). I feel like the dog who is paying attention to training until, "SQUIRREL!" I see a skirt, "15 dollars!" or "Clearance Rack!!!
    Please, let me go a weekend without spending $30, $50 or more on things I don't really need.

I imagine the cost is also vastly higher if you've ever had the painful and often regrettable experience of a purge :/

I don't have any issues as long as I can keep my two personal pass times under $500 a month.... when I'm playing hockey once a week that's easy.... this season I'm playing twice a week which cuts into my fem budget a bit...
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

My wife keeps track of every dollar I spend. Right now it is just pantyhose when needed, and foundation when I run out. I can usually get the rest of the makeup need from our grocery budget, as long as I get them while shopping. Diane always does the grocery shopping.

I try to dress on a budget on on the whole for me it's not that expensive. I order shoes/boots etc. from UK as it's about a quarter of the price of the same items here in Sweden even after shipping. Same goes for clothes although 2nd hand stores here in Sweden you can find some right bargains, I picked up a lovely D&G tshirt unused a couple of weeks back as an example for only 20kr which is virtually free !

*~Plain-Vanilla TG Girl~*
    LOL! Whatever it costs....I'm on for the ride!

real eye opener

wow, this is a real eye opener for me.

i love the replies too in that some are short and sweet and others are more detailed and spelled out.

my quick takeaway is that it may be cheaper to be a long term crossdresser or perhaps androgynous... than an occasional or seasonal one?

personally, as i tend to be long term mentally but physically a binge/purger (more purge than binge) it has had to have cost an astronomical amount of $ (a small fortune).

even so, if one has unlimited financial resources am sure they could go nuts; my funds have been low so for most of my life 9 times out a 1o i have resorted to dressing with modified T-shirts, underwear, and other mens clothes...
    life is a work in progress... but not all work, there is always potential for play, too!

Well only a couple weeks into this adventure I have already spend over $300 just for my makeup and a couple of pieces of clothing and hair.

*Sigh* but it was all worth it the first time I looked in the mirror after dressing....

~Amanda

I agree, it's the purging that really drives it up! It's amazing what a few reusable items cost (would have saved)