Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your natural hair color?

Quote Originally Posted by Ezekiel View Post
    How can hair colour be related to transness in any way, when transness is all over the planet? ... Am I missing something here?
    It's wishful thinking I'm afraid. The article also states that blondness does not relate to (genetic) male hormones levels.

Here is another article with the same fact, plus a few more facts about blond/es:

1. Blondes are more susceptible to age-related macular degeneration.
    2. Blond hair and blue eyes might be correlated to certain medical conditions (learning disabilities, dyslexia).
    3. Blond men may be discriminated against in Britain.

... and 6 more facts about body hair, redheads, beards, eyelashes, baldness, etc.

http://listverse.com/2013/11/27/10-i...ut-human-hair/
    Reine

I was trying to point out that exactly, that it just seemed ridiculous to me, and kind of felt offended by the thread. It would not make any sense given, again, how transness is found all over the planet.

Hair is red turning white as my years increase
    Kelly

You ARE Loved.
    You BELONG in this World.

More Interwebs fiddle-faddle...

Yes - once again, Interwebs factoids come up trumps!

Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    3. Blond men may be discriminated against in Britain.
    This was what one statistics based paper implied - but check out other statistics about the Brits and you'll find that blondes make up between 5-47% of the population depending on which region you look at... so those with a high incidence of Danish Viking incursions and Anglo-Saxon settlement (where I'm from, coincidentally..) have a much higher proportion of blondes... but we're obviously not the stuff of CEOs... way too girly, I suppose...

And Ezekiel - don't be too offended - I think anything on the internet has to be taken with a pinch of salt and a wry smile... Pretty much anything can be 'proven' with statistical correlation - like the direct but inversely proportional relationship between the number of Pirates (as in 'Hah, hah, Jim me lad'... - type) and Global Warming...

So I'm light brown with a fairly sallow complexion - perhaps why a darker blonde suits me, but I can get away (I think!) with an auburn brown.

Just don't believe everything you read - even here....

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Katie, I wasn't taking the article as fact ... just pointing out the other things it suggested to put the 'blonde' fact in question.
    Reine

*~Plain-Vanilla TG Girl~*
    Quote Originally Posted by Katey888 View Post
    I think anything on the internet has to be taken with a pinch of salt and a wry smile...
    On my work related forums, people get into Googling contests trying to out-prove
    each other. It takes about 10 seconds sometimes to cut and paste the exact same
    quotes they're using as "proof".

Some of the quickest Googlieros don't even realize we're onto them! lol!

The internet is a great thing....but lots of info is much better used for making baloney
    sandwiches. And Tons of high quality "natural" fertilizer (...otherwise know as BS ;-))

BTW...my hair was blonde. It's turned a silver-blondish streaked color. Which sounds
    Much better than "grey". (I'll have to google it and see if I can get away with
    saying that...) :P

My hair - back when I had some - was red. Now it's mostly gone, and what's left has more white in it than red. My eyebrows are mostly blond though. Strange, I know.
    ~Linebacker Melissa

Of course, basically what I was saying. My hair is dark too. This doesn't make sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by natcrys View Post
    My hair is as black as the night! And I think of myself as a person who is as CD/TG as possibly can be.. so how this does all work??

I noticed the video didn't have any references to scientific studies.. does anyone have anything solid?
    Of course not, if there was it would be a good way to diagnose low T or high E right? I am sure the OP was poking fun here not stating that she saw this as a scientific fact. It is no different than saying you are T because your mom dressed you as a child or you had sisters.
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    I was trying to point out that exactly, that it just seemed ridiculous to me, and kind of felt offended by the thread. It would not make any sense given, again, how transness is found all over the planet.
    Doing Science starts with an idea, that is turned into a hypothesis; then one considers how the hypothesis can be tested, and proceed to test it. Testing may disprove it completely, or facts might give evidence for a modified hypothesis, or facts might uncover evidence for a nearly unconnected hypothesis -- for example, while examining the patterns of spider webs, one might notice a new species of insect.

The responses here so far suggest an "excess" of blonde haired individuals associated with CD/TG/TS. Is there actual correlation to that, or is it selective response (i.e., the non-blondes tend not to reply), or is it socio-economic related (Caucasians appear to be over-represented on this board relative to the general population) ? At least two of those possibilities lead to ideas worth further thought.

Was the original hypothesis that all CD / TG / TS is associated with blonde hair? No. Some genetic mutations occur more commonly with particular hair colours. That doesn't mean that no-one else has those mutations, and that doesn't mean that any one mutation is the only cause of some result -- but it does mean that if you pick a blonde person at random from the population of the earth and you pick a red-haired person at random from the population of the earth, then there are some conditions that are more probable in the blonde, and there are some conditions that are more probable with the red-head.

The fun being poked here is, by the way, around the fact that so many of us spend so much time looking for "reasons" why we are as we are. None the less, if I were to end up with an Ignoble Prize out of this ("Science that makes you laugh, and then think"), I would be happy to accept
    Last edited by sandra-leigh; 03-31-2014 at 12:50 PM. Reason: respond to Lori's post

Quote Originally Posted by sandra-leigh View Post
    The responses here so far suggest an "excess" of blonde haired individuals associated with CD/TG/TS. Is there actual correlation to that, or is it selective response (i.e., the non-blondes tend not to reply), or is it socio-economic related (Caucasians appear to be over-represented on this board relative to the general population) ? At least two of those possibilities lead to ideas worth further thought.
    My overall opinion is: No, there is no correlation to blondness and transgenderism. It just disregards those of us who are not blond, and given that most people is not blond, and blonds are a minority on the whole planet, I doubt it is related to transness in any sense. I mean, I can say its very frequent in Thailand for example compared to the U.S., just because they look to be so many, but its probably just as frequent arround the rest of the world and in the end its just that they are more noticed in Thailand.

Basically yes, I understand that you are trying to point that there may be more transgenderism in blondes than in the rest of us, that it occurs with an higher chance. But I just don't see the connection anywhere, and its not because I don't understand the hypothesis, its just because I don't see why would it be related given the frequency of it in places where there are no blondes arround.

So in the end, I think the survey will not really give much information.

Are red-haired people generally less sensitive to anesthesia? Ezekiel, your reply would be, "No, that disregards those of us who are not red-haired, and given that most people are not red-haired, and red-haired people are a minority on the whole planet, I doubt that being red-haired is related to sensitivity to anesthesia in any sense." And yet that situation does have scientific studies that establish the link.

You cannot establish a fact about a group by studying only the non-members of the group. You need to compare between groups , which you are not doing.

Sure, there are differences in all of us, and some are more prone to some things than others, based on their genetics. But, as I said before, I don't see any relationship between hair color and transness, and I have my reasons, just as you have your reasons to see otherwise. I am not searching comparisons because I just don't see enough reason to start doing so.

I'm sorry, I don't see the link between hair and transgenderism, and as I said, its my opinion, to which I'm entitled, and I'm not establishing any counter actions. I could not help but feel a little offended by the thread and that probably was a mistake, but thats all, not my intention to antagonize you.

Really I just tossed in this topic for amusement, but the more I look at it, the more it is appearing that there really could be some science to this.

A ‘digit ratio’ study indicates that prenatal exposure to estrogen is higher in individuals with blond hair or non-brown eyes (Mather et al., unpublished).
    Which is a quote from an anthropology blog article about whether eye colour is sex-linked, http://evoandproud.blogspot.ca/2011/...ex-linked.html

Digit ratio is experimentally correlated with transgender and transsexual people, matching the hypothesis that at least some TG /TS cases are linked to interference with the testosterone gradient at about 6 weeks, leading to incomplete masculinization. This has been demonstrated in animal models, but is under dispute in humans.

I do not have any difficulty with the hypothesis that hair colour might link to a higher prevalence of tg/TS, as long as no claim is made that there are no other mechanisms at play. To pick a figure out of the air, it would be interesting even if the prevalence of TS in blondes turned out to (say) 10% higher than in the general population.

I'm naturally a brunette but I don't like it. I keep my natural hair short so I can go out as a man but when I'm at home dressed I wear what I call my "natural" hair color wig which is red, light red really.