Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Us accepting each other?

Us accepting each other?

So I may be horribly mistaken here with my experience, but I've been a member of the site for quite some time. I enjoy contributing to discussions (although life interferes with my ability to interact at times). But one thing is sticking with me a bit so I wanted to ask. For a huge group of like minded girls who for sure share at least one interest with me, what's the disconnect with making friends? (Truth be told I'm on here sporadically me so the answer could totally be that), but I ask, are we afraid of becoming aquainted with one another? Just curious

That is a very good (and timely in my case) question. I think it has to do with spending the majority of ones life in hiding...hiding what we feel, hiding what we truly are from the rest of the world out of a sense of self preservation. This may not be true for all, but for me this is the one common core item I keep coming back to. The very act of hiding who I really am from the rest of the world, made me a selfish and vain person. I am not very proud of that but it is what it is, I am trying hard to change it.
    Last edited by Sarah Welch; 04-05-2014 at 12:57 PM.
    The most important kind of freedom is to be what you really are. When you trade in your reality for a role. You give up your ability to feel, and in exchange, put on a mask.

We are buried beneath the weight of information,
    which is being confused with knowledge;
    quantity is being confused with abundance
    and wealth with happiness.
    We are monkeys with money and guns.

Banned Read only
    You have 94 friends but only 45 posts. Is it likely YOU are doing all or most of the requesting? If not, that seems like a good ratio to me. People here can be funny about things. Most people here - at least the Forum "regulars" - are 50ish. Perhaps your [relatively] young age scares them from making a friend request?

Wild I'm not sure I know how to respond to your post because yes in a way you are right. But I started trying to discuss crossdressing online when I was 13 and (for obvious reasons of the time of AOL chat) was rebuked. So it hurts to be experiencing this at just about 30. Why am I different then the 35,40, or even 50 year old who has probably gone through the same as I have in terms of realizing what dressing means to my life. I'd like that to stop, I am a male who loves to dress and be a female, I'd like anyone of any age to like that, cuz regardless of age we are so in this together (why I like this site for example

I can only speak. for myself, but I. think we can not have too
    many friends especially CD or GG .
    I would. Love to be your Friend !

Jean. Ann

My thoughts on this are not just for this site but any venue, online or real world.

Just because I have a common interest with someone does not mean I want them as a friend. A friend for me is way more than just a shared interest. Dressing (like hiking, brewing, playing guitar or video games) is such a small aspect of my over all character. I find that my friends all share one thing in common and that is our outlook on life. We all have many varied interests some of which intersect but that is not what brings us together.

I've noticed this since the beginning. Get used to it Hon. It seems to be the nature of the "beast" for CDers to wax and wane, especially when it comes to interacting and friendships. Best not to take it personally in any case.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Kate - there are some good points made already here that I'd reinforce...

Sarah's point about being in hiding... I'd love to actually meet some other gals (prior to real world friendship) but I'm still closeted so that's tough to do...
    Wild's point about age is relevant - that hasn't stopped me speaking quite openly with some here when I am old enough to be their parent.. like you, in fact, you young lassie you...

I have been genuinely surprised by the similarity of feelings and thoughts that other girls have had here, compared with my own, and the feelings of empathy and acceptance have been reciprocated... fine as 'Forum Friends', but some of those girls are in Australia, South Africa, East and West coast US, Southern USA, the mid-west and the vast, untapped wilderness of Canada... and here am I, in Olde Hampshire - with a few friends here in the UK too - my point being, the geographical distribution can be a very real hurdle too...

I'm pretty confident that we're a quite accepting bunch of gals on the whole - there'll always be differences of opinion but I feel that those are largely good natured enough for friends and acquaintances to share opinions openly and honestly...

There may be some relevance in how much you have posted here - it's a simple fact that the more you do that and reveal what drives you as a person, the more people will relate to you particularly those who have similar views. So get more posts in...

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Banned Read only
    I've only been a member here for a few months but I've made some great friends and some of my PMs have been non cd related but still been good fun as Katey said it's the only way many of us can meet up when we're scattered across the Globe. I wouldn't worry about the age difference just draw on our experience, maybe you won't make the same mistakes. I couldn't have joined a forum at your age anyway, despite being a CDer from 9 years I wouldn't have had the time with family, business and house renovation. I just worked 24/7 until my kidneys started to fail through stress.

It partly depends on your definition of 'friends' . Are you talking about physically meeting up with others from this site and interacting socially as 'friends' or just people who have linked to you as 'friends' on this site. I've only asked a couple of others to be my 'friends' after we have exchanged pm's and been discussing something of mutual interest.
    Otherwise I try and be truthful with everything I say on this site, and as we all generally have the 'one' thing in common, I effectivly consider most on this site as 'friends' in a loose meaning of the word. Therefore in most cases do I feel the need to add someone as a 'friend' , probably not. As Katie said, the more you reveal about yourself the more other relate to you and may want to be your 'friend'.
    It is true that geography plays a significant part if you want to physically meet up, but i'm happy to discuss most things within reason and within the bounds of how far out of the closet i am. When in the closet it is very difficult to open up.
    I'm not far away, just accross the pond and a short drive.
    As far as openly dressing is concerned and admitting to myself where I am, that is only comparitively recent, so age is and yet is also not relevant, I have things in common with 'girls' of my own age group, and 'others' with those like me, starting out on our journey.
    Don't get hung-up on the 'friends requests' issue, I've not got that many 'friends', but it doesn't put me off.
    Be truthful to yourself.

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    yeah Kate you answered your own question....you have to log on to " sit with us" at the lunch table...lots of us are friends on & off the forum...but we are all chatty Kathy's and built those relationships over time ...some of the gals I met from here I am looking forward to hanging out with next week ! Others I wish I could get on a plane to go see........maybe one day.....a girl can dream.........and I want to make a trip to the west coast soooo bad !

Silver Member
    We all have our own points of view and comfort zones. We also have our privacy concerns, and who we let cross into our space. IMO it is very difficult to get to really know anyone through any internet forums. Perhaps these are some of the reasons we are classified as "individuals", and do not get too friendly. Enjoy.

I'm not afraid of connecting and making friends. I love to have a close friend.. the problem is I would need a don't call me I'll call you arrangement.. or email connection.. as my wife would go through the roof.. she would pack her bags.. or push me to pack mine.. it would be like carrying a gun into a school or joking with airport security Zero tolerance.

I'd love to have an excepting spouse...BTW, nice aviator, if thats you very very nice.
    Carpe Noctem

Cheyenne Hyde

"You may never exceed, your own expectations, of yourself"

http://s46.photobucket.com/user/MsHyde2u/library/
    (the password is feminine)

I think cross-dressing isn't an interest as much as it is a condition, at least how it's discussed on this board, actually resulting in a wide range of members with different interests in cross-dressing, e.g. strictly 'erotic', female emulation/impersonation, using the forum as a chatbox or having existentialistic discussions about it, etc. etc. I actually don't feel that big of a connection with a lot of members, but that's doesn't mean I don't respect them or accept their lifestyles. I do believe there's a lot of mutual respect among members.

Banned Read only
    Who says we are not? I have met a few people from this very site. Still, cross dressing is only one common characteristic we know we share. Like anyone you meet, you develop friendships based on a whole slew of things from politics to sports to movies, kids, basic life experiences.

I feel weird replying to you on this Kate as you already are a "friend" on the forum. I also am thinking there is a bit of a privacy or trust issue in this virtual world.
    It takes more time to get a feel for some peoples true personality online than in real life. I'm the quite shy type in real life, here it seems somewhat the opposite.
    Some of us may be the reverse of that, and keep there interactions with others to a minimum. Friendship is a two way street, and some people will only return as much as they receive.
    Much Love,
    Kristyn
    I smile because you are my friend, and
    I laugh because there is nothing you can do about it!!!

It is true.. the world of crossdressers is a secretive one.. and it is usually very hard to find people

a) who are willing to be socially active outside the relatively safety of the Internet → does one go out in public, geographic constraints for meeting up
    b) with whom there are more shared interests than crossdressing → talking about clothes, make-up, heels and the problems of the CD world should not be the only topics
    c) with whom you can have a good time → personalities, mentalities and views shouldn't clash too much
    Having said that, I started being socially active on Flickr since 2007.. and I have met a number of Dutch/Belgian CD/TG/TS's. Usually only after quite a few email/chat exchanges where it was clear that there was enough social chemistry to actually meet in person. And through those meetings, I became good friends with a handful of them.

I've also met a few while traveling abroad.. and while one meet-up is not enough for a deep friendship.. I do consider them friends.

And with most people, the contact is only through forums, Facebook and Flickr. I wish I could meet them, but a lot of you all live so far away!

In all of those cases.. a), b) and c) do apply.. to be actual friends is more than just one shared interest.
    │ Fashion and science geek!

│ Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nat.crys.5

│ My blog: http://natcrys.blogspot.com/

I'm kinda shy and passive about personal outreach, and loathe to assume the other person is interested. I know, I should work on that. I do welcome friendships openheartedly, and it's easy for me to care a great deal for someone who strikes a chord, even if I don't see them much, even it it's just an online friendship. But I'm also the sort of person who doesn't like having to live in my head, so I place a premium on face time. It's just so much more vibrant and satisfying in person. Sadly, lots of things seem to get in the way of that -- geography, life, the closet, even shallowness and neurosis -- in the CD world. In all my years of CDing, I've met quite a few gurls and gone out with several, but I've only had one true and steadfast CD + CD friendship that lasted. Unfortunately, she passed away three years ago. I feel the loss every time I suit up.

We are still in the closet and wish to keep our anonymity.
    This varies as you have to consider how many of your close friends and relatives already know.
    Those that are well "out" have less of a perceived problem.
    Some have formed very good relationships here and consider this a second home whist others just visit.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Accepting each ....Iam here to discuss a compulsion that I have. Here I find like minded people who face the same issues that I do. If I could sit dowm with my Dad or Mom and talk about how I like to wear panties and bra , I sure wouldn't be online.. so.in that reguard we accept each other . Its difficult to forge frendships while is a closet....

Banned Read only
    The Beatles said it so right "and in the end, the love you take is equal to the love ...you make"
    Quote Originally Posted by Hell on Heels View Post
    I feel weird replying to you on this Kate as you already are a "friend" on the forum. I also am thinking there is a bit of a privacy or trust issue in this virtual world.
    It takes more time to get a feel for some peoples true personality online than in real life. I'm the quite shy type in real life, here it seems somewhat the opposite.
    Some of us may be the reverse of that, and keep there interactions with others to a minimum. Friendship is a two way street, and some people will only return as much as they receive.
    Much Love,
    Kristyn

I think we make friendships here, but not deep friendships. We are mostly hidden and fear exposure. Meeting in person has great risks and even sharing too many details can be risky. But i haven't heard of a blackmailer coming here to get dirt on anyone, so any long time member is safe. Hard to get together in person as SO may question things.

I am one of the ones you speak of. I am closeted, and highly suspicious of the online world. For me, I need to establish
    other lines of interest in addition to cd. One thing in common only makes us aquaintences. Friendship requires
    something deeper. Anyone willing to put forth the effort trying to find that extra common ground is also worth investing back into.
    On that note, I have few trusted friends in the real world, but the ones I have I would go to hell and back for.
    Denise

We have enough youth - how about a fountain of smart......

Senior Member Read only Allison Chaynes's Avatar
    JenelleCD hit it on the head for me. I'd also add that of the two times I met other CD's in person, I felt nothing in common with them outside of CDing. My sister in law is dating a MTF transwoman and I felt no common thread with her whatsoever after we met. I fully expected to, but I didn't.

*~Plain-Vanilla TG Girl~*
    I Love CD's! They're like me! ♥

Probably the only thing we have in common, but I do feel
    a special connection with "us".

Haven't met a single one personally....but all in time.