Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Constructive criticism vs renforcement

Constructive criticism vs renforcement

I have now commented in a few threads which started "How do I look in...?" My replies have been along the lines of '(this) looks good, but (that) doesn't quite work'.

Most of the *other* replies are more or less "You look great!!!"

I feel like I'm the *only* one giving any constructive criticism. I know that we are all in a sensitive place, exposing ourselves to something that could blow up in our faces... but in here? We can and should feel safe.

While I don't ever want to tear anyone down, I also don't want to dismiss the request as just looking for a positive comment.

Why don't I see more critical comments on outfits and presentation?

- MM
    - Madame Moose - on my way to Anne
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    "I yam what I yam and tha's all what I yam." -- Popeye the Sailor
    "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? And when I am for myself, what am 'I'? And if not now, when?" - Hillel the Elder

I also add "why blue eye shadow" or the "grey tights"? - my 2 pet hates that reminds me of the early 80's.

I do prefer the multi outfit options, where we can "prefer" one look over the other as hypersensitivity is the norm in this decade, across all aspects of our society.
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz

Personally I don't tell someone they look good unless I feel they actually do. If I feel I need to offer some constructive comments I normally use the PM feature.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Check out Jenniferathome, as one example of someone who consistently offers constructive criticism.

Deedee
    It's not wrong... but it is forbidden!

Reality Check
    "Honesty" is not really the best policy. I don't usually comment on photos unless someone looks really good (to me). Telling someone they look lovely when in fact they could be read by Ray Charles doesn't help them one bit and actually hurts their chances of doing better.

Telling everyone they look lovely ups your post count but does little else.

BTW: I suspect some of these photos are actually of GGs, not the poster.

*~Plain-Vanilla TG Girl~*
    I feel if someone wants a critique, they'll usually make it known.

(Critique being different from outright criticism...)

Many of us...myself included...are just trying to participate. Just
    a few kind words acknowledging our attempts are often enough to make
    our day. We know we're not passing...or even trying.

It's a massively Huge deal for some of us...many!...to even post any picture
    at all. We just want to be a part of what's going on.

When someone says "how am I doing?" I'll usually add my opinion. Most
    times it's pretty clear what resources they have to work with, and
    I'll comment accordingly. A Nice goodwill find for $5 vs a $1000 pair of
    shoes may be worthy of the same "They look Great!"

Supporting each other is pretty important, I think. Regardless of how
    much time and $$$$ someone can put into what we do.

I also do appreciate the advice given to me. It's always been with
    a feeling of kindness and support.

Non-Binary / Two-Spirit
    For me... It's easier to give advise from what I do, the clothes that I like for my body, as compared to more direct comments. I'm not a fashion expert... just a CD who likes women's clothing.

The story "The Emperor's New Clothes" by Hans Christian Andersen (1837) is a story I remember of being different from what society expected for clothing, in this case invisible clothing, and how others reacted to their Emperor. Would they say to his face what they thought? Were they afraid of what might happen to them if they were truthful? Or did they think this was a new fashion trend?
    Don't suppress who you are inside your heart. Let the world know how special you really are. Don't forget to smile as you share. It will come through in your beautiful words.

Your Sister/Brother,
    Debbie/Steve

Banned Read only
    On the rare occasion where I think someone is actually OPEN for constructive input OR conversation on a Forum matter, I prefer to PM them. Plus I have absolutely ZERO experience with probably 95% of what most here go through so who am I to offer advice?

And I concur with you completely. I see way too much sugar coating and I don't think it helps anyone.

But ...most Humans are happiest when rowing with others. It's just Human Nature and nothing more.

I noticed that too with the few threads I posted there :P
    I got a few things but the majority of the comments are like you said the generic "good job" ones

I'm terrible at giving that kind of criticism so I just don't post there often as the you look good posts are usually covered right away xD

but yes if someone is asking for you to be honest please do so, it is more harmful to just say nothing.

But.. but...

The person is asking "How do I look?"

They were brave enough to take a pic and post it.. a big deal. They are exposing themselves in front of a 'safe' audience... but there is still that feeling of risk.

Why is there a tendency to dismiss that as just wanting happy answers? In here they get people who *understand* as an audience, why *wouldn't* they want honest feedback?

- MM
    "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? And when I am for myself, what am 'I'? And if not now, when?" - Hillel the Elder

Fine line this one. A lot of people on here will be posting photos for the first time and will be feeling self-concious so its important to be prescient of that. Its hard to establish whether people are looking for "Go Gurl!" encouragement or "Meah, not sure about the shoes honey" Always good to sandwich critisism inbetween compliments
    Visit www.xdressreviews.com for free give aways, crossdressing tips, and product reviews.

As someone who posts "you look great!" a fair amount, I'm doing so just to be supportive and give a compliment even though a lot of others do that too. I'm new to this whole dressing up thing and am also unfortunately a bit colorblind...so criticism from me (or other new girls) just wouldn't make sense. I don't really know much at all and I am here to learn. Just looking for both advice and encouragement and I feel like a large majority of us are too.

I offer what I'm better at, support

I only reply when the spirits tell me to critique . More than just being a cheerleader, I have taken mental notes of those girls who are making progress in their cd evolution. If you get a reply or pm from me, it usually means that I have recognized your work , applaud your efforts & encourage you to grow in that inner peace. Your recognition from me is genuine & heart felt.

It is possible to offer constructive criticism without being negative. When given alternatives, talk about the better one. If something doesn't look right suggest a way to make it look better.

The fact is, most people who do post pictures look pretty good in them. They are having fun and sharing it with us. We may not all be supermodels, but we do pretty darned well considering our starting point!
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Banned Read only
    Honesty will set you free. Honesty may be harsh at times, but it is never cruel. Writing,"You look great," when in fact they do not is not support, it's false hope and sets someone up for failure. If criticism is accepted in the spirit it is given, it can only be positive.

I love all the replies, but I think my point is being missed.

Of all the posts I have seen here, MOST of the replies are 'you look great'.

If the poster doesn't say "honest replies only", how do you tell?

It seems the default response is a reinforcing one... there are lots of people here who have stories of things that *didn't* work or things that plainly 'gave you away'. Why aren't we seeing more of those?

- MM
    Last edited by mechamoose; 03-31-2014 at 08:03 PM. Reason: typo

If I am going to post, it will be something positive. If I don't have something positive to say, I don't post a comment. If I think there may be a way to improve someone's look, I will PM her and make my suggestion. As others have said in this thread, it's all in the way you make your comment...

Banned Read only
    MM, you do not have to be a lemming. You can share your thoughts and opinions regardless of whether the posters asks for comment. That's the freedom of this forum.

I know that. I'm just wondering why those comments are private? Why aren't those up in our public spaces for others to benefit from?
    Last edited by Lorileah; 04-01-2014 at 03:15 PM. Reason: no need to quote post above yours

The PMs I can understand c: It is personal and more comfortable to be talked about in PM it is also easier than checking a forum that may or may not get buried by other threads :P
    Last edited by Lorileah; 04-01-2014 at 03:16 PM. Reason: no need to quote whole post above yours

Gone to live my life
    Hi MM,

When I post a picture looking for feedback either on my make-up or a look I always state "Honest opinion please". If I don't see that in the subject line I will provide constructive criticism without being harsh. You can be honest without tearing a person apart. I do add a lot of "looks good" but that is to help bolster a person's confidence. Posting a picture of yourself is not an easy thing . . . so I try to take into account just because someone posts a picture, they may not be looking for an honest opinion just a bit of support to help them along the way.

Hugs

Isha

I frequently post positive comments, but only when I feel that the photo makes them appear justified. When some particular item jars me and the OP has asked for opinions I will post a comment about what I see that might be changed. If I don't like what I see, or if I am just not in the mood, I will not comment at all.

On the other hand, my own post, An 8-day Week (click here) has drawn 435 reads to date and only 6 replies.

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

*~Plain-Vanilla TG Girl~*
    I think the majority of us aren't going out. It may do no good to tell them
    they need a different dress or finer shoes. Lots just want to participate
    and add what little bit they can with what they have. Having a fine, $$$$
    wardrobe is pointless for many who have to stay indoors.

They may just want to add themselves in with the rest of us. To simply
    be a part of what we have going on here.

Posting pictures can be as exciting as getting out for some of us. We're
    sharing our best kept secrets with our sisters. A kick in the ass can be
    dis-heartening to some. It may not be intended that way...but one never
    knows how a few words in a forum will come across.

This includes myself. I won't pass. I can't go out. I don't have the best
    or coordinating clothes. I just want to show myself and be one of us.
    I don't care that my pictures are mediocre. I don't think my friends care
    much either. I may be at the best I'll ever get.

A simple "you look Nice" is an acknowledgment that I'm accepted. It's
    plenty good enough for many of us. It proves we are a part of things.

No replies. Now that's disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kate Haylette View Post
    I think the majority of us aren't going out. It may do no good to tell them
    they need a different dress or finer shoes. Lots just want to participate
    and add what little bit they can with what they have.
    Ok, I hadn't looked at it that way.

That makes sense.

Thank you.

- MM

Banned Read only
    but Kate, even though you choose to stay inside, don't you want pointers on improving anyway? Is that also not recognition that you are accepted? Someone who actually goes out of their way to help, to me, is far more accepting or caring than a cheerleader.