Thread: Trip Report: I Went Ballroom Dancing In A Skirt

Trip Report: I Went Ballroom Dancing In A Skirt

At The Airport
    While I was on a trip, I did a bit of crossdressing. On the first leg of my flight, I flew in the men's clothes I went to work in. At the first layover, I changed into rather androgynous women's clothes. I wore a white T-shirt, a white collared shirt partially buttoned, black ladies slacks with somewhat flared legs, nude pantyhose, and white Keds. The pants were long enough that they went to my shoes, so my ankles were not showing. In fact, my ankles barely showed when I sat down. If I could get up the nerve, I planned on putting on a skirt when I got to my gate.

I changed into the outfit I just described in the men's room. The attendant working the men's room came my way as I came out of the stall. He gave me some towels and wiped the counter. He looked down at my white shoes under black pants and then pushed out his lip. He asked if I was wearing part of a business suit. I said no. He said I looked sharp. He liked the white shoes with the black pants. His comment was positive, but he was my first person to encounter and he immediately noticed my outfit. Not a good sign! After that, almost no one else ever paid my outfit any attention.

I never got up the nerve to change into my skirt at the gate. The last time I flew to that destination airport, I met someone I knew pretty well at the luggage carousel. That has made me nervous!

On The Shuttle Bus
    At my destination, I walked to where I would have to wait for a shuttle bus. A man who was also waiting watched me walk by. He gave me a look up and down. He did not seem threatening, but he did not seem to approve. On the shuttle bus, I realized I was sitting near him in plain site. He paid me no attention on the shuttle bus.

Rental Car Facility In A Skirt
    When I got to the rental car facility, I got my paperwork for the car and then went to the restroom and put on my skirt. There were not many people on that side of the facility and no one was in the restroom. I was not too nervous. I walked out into the garage and the attendant talked to me through the window. Then he walked out to help me. He talked with me a long time. I do not think he noticed what I was wearing until he separated from me. My confidence mounted.

Hotel Check-in In A Skirt
    I got in my car, drove to the hotel, and checked in while wearing a skirt. "Disapproving man" from the shuttle bus was at the counter too. He was staying in my hotel. I kept my bags between us so he could not see me. I do not think the clerks saw my outfit before I approached the counter.

Hotel Store In A Skirt
    I went into the hotel store. The clerk was a young international man. He took his quick glance down when I walked in. After that, he only looked me in the eye when I was talking to him. He had time to look at me while I was getting some laundry soap and seeing what else they had. He talked to me quite a bit when I came over to pay.

Hotel Restaurant In A Skirt
    I changed into a deep red top, a black button up jacket/shirt, a multi-colored, knee length skirt, black hose, black heels. I went down to the hotel lobby for supper. Some people saw me, but I saw no sign of them telling the people at their table to look at me. It seems that I am not much of a spectacle here. I was seated on an empty side of the restaurant. No one could see me. The server treated me normal.

Ballroom Dancing In A Skirt
    I left there and went ballroom dancing at a place in the city. I got out of my car, and started walking down the sidewalk. A man was walking toward me. He came to a complete stop and would not approach me. I was still walking toward him. I turned to cross the street. He kept looking at me like I was dangerous. I greeted him, "Good Evening", and crossed the street. As I approached the ballroom entrance, a man who was standing outside smoking greeted me and welcomed me.

Inside, I found that this was a faster, livelier dance than I had previously ever attended. Most of the attendees were young. Many of us were first timers at the place. There was a long lesson where the girls rotated. Every girl treated me with politeness and respect. No one refused to dance with me during the lesson. By the end of the lesson, I had danced with every girl taking the lesson. I did not detect that anyone was uncomfortable or ashamed of dancing with me during the practice. A couple girls did seem more reserved. Later, during the open dance during the night, they danced with me and still seemed just as reserved. Normally, my outfit was not mentioned. One girl walked by me when I first arrived at the ballroom and told me that I looked very nice tonight. When I complimented some girls on their outfits, they complimented me back. Other girls just said "thank you". I might have been fishing for a compliment.

By the way, I danced in flats, not the heels I wore into the place.

There were not a lot of noticeable first reactions to me. After the first 15 minutes, everyone had plenty of time to see me. I did not see anyone try to get my picture. I danced almost every dance. No one ever refused to dance with me. Three times, a girl approached me for a dance.

One girl asked about why I was dressed. She said, "Did you want to get to swish and twirl too tonight?" One girl asked me if it was a bet. One time a guy who had given me the only negative looking reaction approached me and asked me why I was dressed and did I lose a bet. I said, "No, I am just a crossdresser." I think he was still uncomfortable, but he kept talking to me a little. Otherwise, it did not come up.

I grew to forget how I was dressed. It was wonderful. It was delightful. It was also fun! I was a man in a skirt and I nor anyone else cared.

Near the end, I got a few pictures.

Ruby Tuesday In A Skirt
    I left there and went to a Ruby Tuesday restaurant and had some desert. The hostess took a quick glance down and then right to my eyes. She did not have time to see anything. She was completely normal with me and seated me. The male server was business as usual. The bartender was a woman. She had a very good view of me. She gave me several looks. She seemed a little shocked. I did not notice if anyone else paid me any attention other than a glance. I ate as much of the cheesecake as I could stand (about half a piece) and then I left.

I returned to my hotel and went to my room. It was so nice to be out and feel normal. I LOVE going places where I have something productive to do while dressed! The mall stinks compared to this. In fact, after this outing, I am not sure if anything will be good enough! I may have damaged all of my future outings. So far, for me, this was the Disney World of Crossdressing.

Hotel Breakfast In A Skirt
    The next morning, I went down to breakfast in black flats, black hose, a blue jean skirt, and a men's polo shirt. What do you know, but the disapproving man showed up in line behind me. He showed no sign of disapproval that I noticed. However, I did not try to see. The hostess seated me at a table by a table inhabited by a different man. At one point we started talking. It was just normal conversation between two strangers in a hotel. My skirt had no impact.

Crossdressing Conversation With A Flight Attendant
    I did not do any more crossdressing for the rest of the trip. I decided not to fly pretty home because I thought there was a reasonable chance I might run into a co-worker. On the plane, I was seated by a flight attendant. She was very chatty. At one point, I asked her if she had ever had a crossdresser on one of her flights. She said, "No. At least, not that I am aware of." I told her, "We call it 'flying pretty' and it is a major achievement when we do it." She continued talking to me after that normally.

Summary
    In summary, I crossdressed a lot and did normal things. I wore a skirt, presented male, and was just another person. If I ever stop finding this stressful, I might just get used to this!
    Last edited by jjjjohanne; 04-06-2014 at 06:52 AM.

Here are my pictures from the night of dancing. Once again, I wore flats while actually dancing. What do you think? Should the black jacket be open or closed?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Platinum Member
    Hi Johanne, That was quite a trip it sounds like you were having fun.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

A great improvement for your appearance would be a wig.
    You will progress and be successful eventually, in the meantime have fun.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Jacket Off!
    T-shirt says: "Hi, I Crossdress!"

Non-Binary / Two-Spirit
    Great story and thanks for sharing.

The jacket...

I think you would look better without it. Fine for out side but not inside. If you feel you need something I suggest a light sweater, A button down style, but not buttoned, and half sleeves. Be sure the color is neutral color and longer than your top.

The jacket, or coat, can be your outer wrap.
    Don't suppress who you are inside your heart. Let the world know how special you really are. Don't forget to smile as you share. It will come through in your beautiful words.

Your Sister/Brother,
    Debbie/Steve

That's really awesome that you had a nice trip! Crossdressing and even not crossdressing!

If you want an honest opinion about the jacket. I think it didn't go well with the skirt or the red shirt. Also you should try tucking in the shirt under the skirt and perhaps that would've made more of a difference.

Otherwise, I'm glad you're going out, you're definitely setting a good example for the rest of us to the world that crossdressers are just normal folks.

Jacket looked better open to me, just my opinion. Sounds like you had an awesome time, good for you.
    I looked in the mirror and saw a gurl

I think the jacket is a nice addition to the outfit, but I would choose one that allowed you to close it but still see the red top. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself.
    Kim

"I just gotta be me"

Thank you for your feedback about the jacket. Please give me any other helpful feedback about the outfit. I want to have outfits that allow me to remain a man, but to dress well. I don't want flowery patterns or anything too feminine. This one is my favorite outfit so far. I have never worn a flowy skirt like this. I thought it looked too wild when the SA recommended it, but I have grown to like it. Is it OK?

Gone to live my life
    Hi Johanne,

What a great story and what courage. For those of us who present as much femme as possible (wig/make-up) I am always truly amazed you those of you who present male in women's clothing as that takes great courage and shows you have a great sense of self. My hat is off to you.

It sounds like you had a great time and things went well (with a small hiccup or two in the weird look department that is). Dancing sounded fun and I agree with others "no jacket" would have looked better.

Hugs

Isha

I accept myself as is Gillian Gigs's Avatar
    Thanks for sharing your experience. You dressed in a tasteful manner obviously showing an air of confidence that helped you with your presentation. If there is anything that I have learned in the last few years, it is that young people today are more accepting than the older generation. I will look forward to reading about any of your other skirt experiences.
    I like myself, regardless of the packaging that I may come in! It's what is on the inside of the package that counts!

Hi Johanne,

I also wondered as I read your post if you wore a wig or makeup and then I saw your pictures. Yes, INDEED, very courageous and brave of you to step out as a male in female clothing. I now something like that would not be received to well down here in Texas. You must have an exceptionally strong sense of self, confidence, and courage. I applaud you for I wonder how many of us would love to do just as you did. I know I've dreamt many a dreams as a child to do exactly what you did, wondering why the boys don't wear the skirts too. LOL.

You had so much fun being you, Congrats! Many Happy Days Ahead!

Cassie

What a totally great adventure. I've not quite gotten up the nerve to wear an outfit like that (dressed as a man), but I certainly applaud your nerve and sense of style. Men CAN and DO make outfits like this look good. FWIW - I wear ballet flats, shorts and nylons in public frequently, but have not yet gotten up the nerve for a skirt. Perhaps soon--your story gave me just a bit more courage.

I suggest that this is not as difficult as many make it sound. In fact, I think it is no more dramatic being dressed like this in public than having piercings, tattoos, living in a wheel chair, or having purple hair. It is all a matter of being different and being in public.

The main sources of fear for me are:
    1. Someone I know might see me.
    2. Someone will detect that I am a man wearing women's clothes.
    3. Someone will laugh or say something rude.

I was far from home, so I did not anticipate seeing anyone I know.
    I was obviously wearing women's clothes, so there was no secret to keep. When I was wearing the slacks and Keds, I was nervous someone could tell what I was wearing. When I was wearing a skirt, there was no way to hide the truth. I guess I was scared of someone making a realization.
    There is no fix for the last fear. Someone can be rude no matter where I go or how I dress. The more I go out, people's reactions have less significance.

I find that people react to me with surprise or amusement or whatever they feel the first minute they see me. Then, after that, they are over it. It is just an oddity. After the first surprise of seeing something unusual, people then judge me based on my personality and character. Now that I have said that, in the course of my life, I have had many more criticisms of my personality than I have ever had on my clothing choices! I have also had more compliments on my personality than on my cloths.
    Last edited by jjjjohanne; 04-06-2014 at 02:08 PM.

TrueNorth Strong & Fierce Princess Chantal's Avatar
    Loved reading your experience and how proud you were of being a crossdresser!
    Thanks for successfully showing a positive light on crossdressing to the public, I for one really appreciate it.

There was one more "first" that I forgot to mention about this outing. While at the dance, I went into the men's room. There was a ~30 year old man in there at the sink in front of the mirror. I needed to go wash my hands and face. I had worked up to sweating and needed to freshen up. I went up to the other sink that was beside his. By this point, I had mostly forgotten I was crossdressed. I also had lost almost all of my awkwardness about it. I noticed him look at me in the mirror. I thought I detected a look on his face that I interpreted as, "Uh-oh. Now what do I do?" I just talked to him like I would have on any other day. He talked politely back. Here is what I remember of my side of the conversation: "Hi, how you doing?" "You come here often?" "No, this is my first time. This place is great!" He finished up and left. Non event.