Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How "Cool" is your town?

Is she really psychic? LOL
    She must have a real problem with sci-fi movies, and actors having 'species-confusion'. HAHAHAHAHAHA

Gone to live my life
    Hi Ophelia,

As a gal from the NCR area I have been to Ottawa lots of times with no issues and that includes forays down to the Rideau center a la OC Transpo. I guess it depends a lot on how you present and are you recognizable, who might see you and of course what you do and finally how high profile you are.

Hugs

Isha

Hi.

How good do you need it, we have in Waimate under 3,500 people ,Timaru some 30,000 people amd Oamaru some 16,000 people. im involved with our groups in Waimo = Waimate , Brass band and high profile groups in the public , that im a member of ,

Known where ever i go allways someone will see me or know who i am, so i know whats going on and talk to a lot of people in the media as well.

lived here and both other places some 17 years,

So how would a dresser get on pretty well you give your self time to get known and make friends with those in the shops and you have friends who you can talk with .

I would quite likely have been seen as a dresser not a very good one i dont pass or blend in so i would say that is how i would have been percived as, now thats not by those i know or have interacted with over 17 years with yet had i said nothing as to what i am none would be the wiser, so acceptance is there you just present your self and be wellcomed doubt any one i know would refuse you,

So apply the same detail to myself a not very passible female, or woman and iv not been rejected you look at my photo, thats how im seen no hair no makeup and im just one female who's been accepted most know where i live some pop in to see me quite a few really, and know about my background,

I dont hide myself i invite others to our groups and do's we have they know what i do,

so think about it i can go to Christchurch and go any where yet how would i be seen as a female ?? . more like oh theres another dresser or a man in a dress, well im nether, just a female who does not pass as one,

my thoughts are many or more like most here would surpass this kid, in looks and passibilty , so no one would know if you were male or female, id say youd pass very well.

...noeleena...

Banned Read only
    Hey Leslie...'It's a "lottery win" dream to be made over in a fabulous spa in Yorkville.The truth is that Kingston and Montreal are both day trips at about two hours drive. so no need for a hotel and heavy gasoline bill. Having a car gives me a relatively safe change room where I can also take a nap before hitting the road home at 12am arriving a 2-2:30am with my nosy neighbours hopefully snoring away in dreamland.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leslie Langford View Post
    Ophelia, I'm surprised that your CD travels haven't taken you to Toronto yet - one of the most LGBT-friendly cities in the world today - and as a fellow Canadian, practically in your own back yard...
    Ottawa is super cool for visiting crossdressers, just not for me...

Yeah, yeah!...I know...used to be called "Toronto the Good", "Hogtown", "The Big Smoke", but that puritanical, Calvinistic, Protestant work-ethic mentality is a thing of the past now. With all the immigration from every part of the globe that has taken place here over the last 30 years or so, it has become one of the most diverse, cosmopolitan, and free-thinking cities on the planet. Now it's more "Hollywood North", especially with the world-renowned T.I.F.F. (Toronto International Film Festival) which takes place here every September, and which is one of the world's premiere film festivals. Practically all the Hollywood royalty attends...

World Pride 2014? Yep, it's taking place right here this summer, despite our current homophobic, crack-smoking buffoon of a mayor who has threatened (promised?) to stay away, so a good time should be had by all.

Attached is a thread started a few years ago by one of our members asking "How CD Friendly is Toronto?". Much of what was said then still holds true today, and you can see for yourself the multitude of answers she received...

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...t=#post1577237

Come on in - the water's fine...

a bit nutty
    Blue collar towns like mine don't take kindly to the plunging necklines and pink tops of our community. Getting beat up is not unheard of in these parts. The smaller the town, the more likely it is that you'll be recognized or stumble across a group of punks looking for a reason to harm someone.

I live. In a small town in the Texas Panhandle.
    It is not accepting at all.
    But the larger towns, and cities are very accepting

Jean. Ann

Reality Check
    I live on the outskirts of a medium sized city. I don't go downtown very often but I've never seen a crossdresser (except in the mirror) in the nearly ten years I have lived here.

So - Either there are none around or they pass well enough that I haven't noticed them.

BTW: My town likes to think it's "cool" but it's not.

I live near Royal Oak Mich, very very friendly, friendly shops restaurants, people I just love it!

I have spent days out in the malls in both Amarillo and
    Lubbock , Texas with no problem .
    Also Plainview seems CD friendly !

Jean Ann

In my town I have seen CD on several ocations and they draw a little attention but nothing of an objection. I have been wearing nothing but high heels for several years and only ocationally will anyone say anything. Of course about half the men in this location wear cowboy boots.

Most CDs are accompanied by guy friends when they go out.

I have been complimented for my style many times and occationally on my makeup. I have no fear of going out whenever or wherever.

Rhanda

My town would stone me! Arrggghhh Upstate rural NY is full of great people, but equally full of sexually repressed rednecks!

I live in Ottawa and have had no issues going about en femme. Why do you think your career would be ruined? I happen to know an MP who is a CDer (and no, I will certainly not reveal any more details) and he goes en femme in Ottawa.

I guess the Center and West End of Glasgow are pretty "cool," I've seen crossdressers out and about loads and they don't seem to get bothered. I've never had any hassle in my few excursions in quiet parts of the West End. There's places to avoid, but yep, cool town all things considered.

Quote Originally Posted by dawn03 View Post
    I live in Ottawa and have had no issues going about en femme. Why do you think your career would be ruined? I happen to know an MP who is a CDer (and no, I will certainly not reveal any more details) and he goes en femme in Ottawa.
    John Baird??

Who knew?

Gone to live my life
    LOL Leslie. He would be easy to spot . . . The CDer yelling at everyone

Hugs

Isha

Ain't no town 'round here!
    San Francisco is skittle over an hour away, I hear that's supposed to be cool.
    I smile because you are my friend, and
    I laugh because there is nothing you can do about it!!!

Yeah, Isha, but nobody would mess with him or even out "out" him. You know, as in the old 500 lb. Gorilla joke...

Quote Originally Posted by CarlaWestin View Post
    Seriously?

It's Vegas, Baby! Coolville!
    I grew up in Nevada several decades ago and, despite its "gambling and wild life" reputation found it to be rather conservative socially. I'm glad to see that they have loosened up!

Here in SoCal I've not had a bad experience. Nearly all of my outings are to mainstream places and in fact I feel a bit more comfortable there than in LGBT venues.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Platinum Member
    Hi Ophelia, No Matter how accepting your town is you still have to be careful of the RED NECKS.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Split between Dubai and Sarnia (Southern Ontario)
    I live between a city in Southern Ontario (Sarnia) and Dubai. If I was caught dressed in Dubai (or anywhere in the Middle East), the best case scenario is I'm deported, worst case scenario is I spend several years in jail (or worst). Back in southern Ontario it's hard to say; nobody would ignore me, there might be a snicker or two, and I'm sure someone would yell something hateful out of a passing car sooner or later. On the other hand, nearby Toronto is a great place for tolerance and acceptance, but most university towns outside of Toronto tend to be a little more open too. Things getting better every year though...

Banned Read only
    ". Back in southern Ontario it's hard to say; nobody would ignore me, there might be a snicker or two, and I'm sure someone would yell something hateful out of a passing car sooner or later. "

Hey Steph, I grew up in Sarnia (Hoserville Ontario) and there's no way on earth I'd let Ophelia stroll down Front St. near The Seaway Tavern...
    'Couldn't afford the therapy after!!

Recently a couple of CDs remarked that my town is cool for CDing. But I recall a CD that used to walk all over town sometimes dressed rather outrageous. Anyway, he got jumped and beat up more than once. So maybe some towns are only cool in the right neighborhoods at the right time of the day.
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Gold Member
    This is a great area to get out. I have been doing it for about 4 1/2 years and have had zero negative experiences. Five thumbs up!

Banned Read only
    And just google stephen harper and makeup.. He wears more than his gorgeous wife!

I live in Minnesota, but the town I live in seems like it belongs in the south. Most people are heavily conservative and anti-homosexual so I can only imagine they'd look down upon me. I'm sure their ignorance of the subject would cause them to consider me a homosexual, despite that not being the case, and things might get a little hostile. So for now I dress in private, but I'm hoping towards the end of the summer to go to Minneapolis as Stacy. I hear things are a bit better in the city.