Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: typically male occupational hazards/injuries

a bit nutty

typically male occupational hazards/injuries

Do you work in an environment where you get minor injuries that affect your femme appearance? How about hobbies that do it?

My ONLY asset are my legs and they now have more bruises on them than I can ever recall. Nothing sexier than legs that look like they were in a car accident.
    I play hockey with the kids so I wear no equipment. Occasionally I get a few heaters from an over eager kid and I usually get it on the shins. Let me tell you....ugly ugly UGLY bruises. Oh, pain? Yeah. Callouses and cuts on the hands from my job, grease that won't wash off easily....you name it.

I'm one ugly, rough looking girl let me tell you!

sob, Ginger.

I wear shorts most of the year so I get my share of scrapes and bruises at work, but mostly my nails get destroyed. They break all the time, especially in winter and that's very distressing.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

I worked as an auto tech. for years. Most of the new techs. would wear gloves to protect themselves, I never did. Ground in grease on chapped dried out hands was impossible to get rid of, truly disgusting. After getting out of that line of work, the hand healed up. I'm now wearing gloves anytime I get near anything greasy. Bruises are still a problem, I got one on my shin about 6 months ago, not work related, but still doing stupid guy type stuff, kayaking on the ocean with friends, we beached and had to climb over some rocks to check out a cave, I thought I would be able to just man up and jump up on the rock, well the wet suit I was wearing was a little restrictive and I came up a little short. The cave was a bit boring also.
    Protect yourselves, get someone else to do the heavy lifting.
    Much Love,
    Kristyn
    I smile because you are my friend, and
    I laugh because there is nothing you can do about it!!!

Ginger, you wrote my book! lol

Little Mrs. Snarky! Nadine Spirit's Avatar
    Back in January, I almost ripped my finger off with my wood lathe. Stupid mindless error. It does not affect my appearance, but it still hurts like hell.

Yeah but work and combat scars are badges of honor Hon.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Ginger - bless...

I think we've all been there... just recently for me; cuts on a knee from redecorating a bedroom; split and broken nails from gardening; rough hands from housework (now I NEVER do anything without my Marigolds/ rubber gloves on...); bruises on legs from... God only knows what - I think the wife kicks me in my sleep... deliberately, mind!

I used to treat them as badges of honour, now I've got all precious about the tiniest little nick or a spot on my forehead... Oh, well - it's only me and you girls who have to tolerate them, so no big deal really...

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Paintball welts, but while I could hide the colour (not the bump), I also damaged my leg muscles with all the running and stopping, so walking in either mode was difficult and painful.
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz

Gone to live my life
    I am in the military so damage comes with the territory including several broken bones, cracked back, bruises and contusions but none of those affect my appearance. The only thing that does is a through and through gunshot wound just below my rib cage (besides cracking a rib the bullet did little internal damage). As such, you won't be seeing this gal in a crop top or bikini anytime soon.

Hugs

Isha

Quote Originally Posted by GingerLeigh View Post
    Do you work in an environment where you get minor injuries that affect your femme appearance?
    I used to, it was the military. I had to part ways with them back in December of 1999, I was no longer "world wide deployable" after some injuries.

Civilian life has been wonderfully less interesting.
    ~Linebacker Melissa

*~Plain-Vanilla TG Girl~*
    I do metal work, so that's not good at all for my nails. But...they (mostly)
    stay long --miraculously!

Getting nicked by milling cutters happens sometimes. Then there's the grease
    and machine oils & lubes. I have to wait a day or so before my hands get to
    feeling "right" enough for dress up sometimes. Rough hands will snag nice little
    delicate fabrics if I don't! lol!

Lucky for me I'm not exposed to small injuries.... only roof falls.... run over by underground mining equipment... coal dust and methane explosions!
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

*~Plain-Vanilla TG Girl~*
    Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    only roof falls.... run over by underground mining equipment... coal dust and methane explosions!
    Yikes! is the word that popped into my mind. Now I feel like a sissy! lol!

As a retired police officer and then firefighter I broke my collarbone which is noticeable and destroyed my knee and had to have it replaced, so I now have a nice vertical scar running down the front of it. Also severed two tendons in my shoulder but the surgery scar isn't too noticeable.

Just hands/nails for the most part. I'm a computer person, but I work in a robotic factory. Running cables in troughs, terminating them, WAY too many sharp edges. So I wear gloves.

I actually mess my hands up worse doing jewelry.. files, saws, funky chemicals.. I can wear rubber gloves for some of it, but not for close work.

And then there are bike crashes >.<

- MM
    - Madame Moose - on my way to Anne
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    "I yam what I yam and tha's all what I yam." -- Popeye the Sailor
    "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? And when I am for myself, what am 'I'? And if not now, when?" - Hillel the Elder

I do electrical mechanical machine maintenance.

mainly electrical but some times mechanical or fabrication usually CNC machine related.. at times I may have to arc, mig or tig weld something.. the welding gives me a farmer tan at times. (glad I don't have to weld much) sometimes I'll start on some repair and I forgot the gloves, fingers are grungy for a month.

I do bang my shins way too much.. small bruises etc.

currently I'm making a bracket to hang a 800 pound 3-phase transformer..(about 10' off the floor) then wiring up a new machine with 2/0 copper wire. (wire that size is a younger persons game)

Carpe Noctem

Cheyenne Hyde

"You may never exceed, your own expectations, of yourself"

http://s46.photobucket.com/user/MsHyde2u/library/
    (the password is feminine)

Auto Tech here. Hands, arms and nails are always at risk. I have tried wearing gloves, but they slow me down. Being on commission, I do not want to be slowed down.

I love a week or two off. Then I am all healed and at least my arms and hands look good. My nails need longer to look great.
    Marcia (LOVES) Blue

My hands are all scarred up from years of home remodeling and side jobs as an electrician. My legs have scars on them from home projects from over the years. I use to do electronic maintenance years ago, but now it is just bench calibration. I do not have any fingernails mainly from nervous habits of chewing them off. I can relate with MssHyde on the handling of 2/0 copper wire. I had my share of wrestling 4/0 aluminum service entrance cable. but now it's mostly 12-2 or 14-2 NM. I haven't done a panel upgrade in a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Isha View Post
    ...The only thing that does is a through and through gunshot wound
    Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    ...I'm not exposed to small injuries.... only roof falls.... run over by underground mining equipment...
    Gee, my broken fingernails from moving boxes around kind of pales by comparison!

My long-term masculine injury is sun-damaged arms and hands. A couple of years of Nadinola has faded the pigment, but the skin is still rougher than my shoulders.

Young ladies, sunscreen and long sleeves are your friends!
    Last edited by Eryn; 04-04-2014 at 07:20 PM.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Some people prefer the macho type girl.

Think yourself lucky.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Aspiring Member
    Middle of Oregon, on the West side, but my feet aren't wet!
    Oh Yeah......Metal plate on a collarbone (car wreck, second life), fingernails always split or torn, minor facial scars.
    But that don't stop me!!!

Platinum Member
    Hi Ginger, At my age It seams that a broken nail is my biggest problem.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

For me it's more of small cuts, burns ,and really dry hands from the constant washing. It's not too dangerous working in a kitchen, thankfully, but, the worst is my dreaded golfer tan.

I work with ink luckily it's water base but the red and the black are hard to get out.And there is always paper cuts.And the soap we use for the ink makes the skin dry.
    Angie

Hi,

Im not your normal female never was before or now a rough at times, builder and other trades, and after a job my women friends say to me theres blood on your legs , oh that , just another one = cuts, bruise's scares and surgery's scares yeap one rough woman here, no long nails .

Now you know why im... not... feminine i knew there was a reason now iv just figgered it out .

im a hard working woman with me bib overalls on in the thick of it, Well thats my excuse ,

So is that your typical male in the work place, spos not, will woman do....

...noeleena...
    Last edited by noeleena; 04-05-2014 at 04:01 AM.