Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: typically male occupational hazards/injuries

From a lifetime of commercial fishing,I have plenty of scars.However,I now catch boat owners,rather than fish.I have socially transitioned over the last ten years from being "paid for what I know,as well as do",to being a "hands on project manager" with a crew of helpers. My crew knows who I am and doesn't expect me to sacrifice myself,when they certainly won't..lol.Initially the commercial fishboat projects are dirty,and in the end,they are as new.I work for myself and perhaps the next project will be a "Newbuild" where I will be mostly in the office wearing a dress..lol For now,it's a mix. But I no longer beat myself up to earn a living.
    It SURE is my hair ! I have the receipt and the box it came in !

I'm a heavy equipment construction mechanic.... nuf said lol!

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    Dislocated shoulder and destroyed rotator cuff. 3 months with arm in a sling, big surgery, and expected 18 months of physical therapy. Just now able to let Tina reappear physically. But no scar!

Since graduating to office/techie work the worst I have to put up with is the occasional broken nail. I'll never be able to wear peep toe shoes though because of the mess I made of myself when I worked at the heavy end.

I've mostly worked as a nurses aide but I was a welder for a few years. I got a lot of minor burns, I used to hate mig welding because I would be picking little pieces of metal out of my hair for days. I ended up going back to nurses aide work even though it paid less, they didn't want me to quit, I just wasn't happy. Working on a degree now.

I've got six screws and a plate in my leg from a motorcycle wreck though.

a bit nutty
    Just as I thought. Many of us "guys" have typical trade jobs and get all sorts of injuries normally associated with our career paths. It sucks since it's a real tell tale sign of what we do for a living (which is typically male oriented stuff). I know, there are a few GG's that get the same thing, but they ARE rare. I know of a total of two in my trade. Not many real girls with welding burns or hot machining chip scars.

Again, I've got legs that I'D look for in a girl. However there are so many bruises, they look awful now. Pi$$es me off!

Wow am I a piker. 37 years in mostly an office environment save a trips out to substations and a stint in a power plant. But keeping my boat wrecks my hands and knees. I can't keep decent nails even when I sit at my desk. Reach for something in a drawer and break a nail off just like that. I must have the thinest, most fragile nails of all time.

I hurt my back at work when I was 21 (too many years ago) doing heavy manual railway track maintenance; obviously it can't be seen and doesn't (usually) stop me dressing, but I do have to look after myself these days and go very light on back bending work like shovelling. In those days my hands would only come properly clean when I was on annual leave. These days my hands are soft and clean, the way I like it.