Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Walk Like a Woman

I thought I had the walk nailed, having years (ok, decades) of practice in high heels. That is, until I took a video of myself walking.
    So, observe how women walk, video your walk, compare, and adjust.

Little Mrs. Snarky! Nadine Spirit's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by celeste26 View Post
    FWIW female hips are wider than male hips for a given height and weight. So at rest their thighs are angled more directly inward than a male. It is this that causes the "swaying."
    This is exactly why women walk the way they do. I find it funny as to other explanations offered. Like women growing up and learning some sort of feminine walking technique.

I do agree though that men that want to look more feminine while walking do need to learn techniques. The one that I use the most is to try and brush my ankles together as I walk. It makes it so that my feet are closer together. Another one is to take smaller steps.

Ok, not that I'm brilliant at this but I'm comfy in 4" heels.
    Centre of gravity - we have a high centre, real girls have a point much lower. You really have to work on relaxing your upper body, shoulders especially. Feel your weight lower.
    Heels first - I know some advice has been don't, but girls who can walk gracefully in heels go heel, toe, heel, toe. Girls who look look awkward in heels walk flat, heels and toes hitting at the same time. Makes for awful bends in the leg.
    Legs straight - almost, move from the hips, don't lock your knees, but don't bend them much. See above.
    Muscles - front lower abdominals, get 'em tight. Hold yourself. Posture, posture, posture!
    Straight line - walk along an imaginary line. Don't splay your feet, unless you're a professional ballerina, then it's OK.
    Eyes up - eyes and chest up, don't slouch. Posture, again!
    Elbows in - Yep, Adriana's right, as always! Girls tend to shrink themselves, guys tend to expand themselves. Try little things that decrease your physical outline.
    Don't wiggle - it just looks silly.
    Have fun - I mean it.

Christen x
    “Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing
    and rightdoing there is a field.
    I'll meet you there.” - Rumi.

I suggest getting used to walking in heels, but start first with shorter ones. When you get used to it, your walk then becomes more graceful. Its not just about this, but getting used to walking in heels does help.

I try to walk in a feminine manner dressed or not. I stand straight, keep my elbows against my waist, shortened step and the footprint as close to the line you are walking.

It has been my observation that most males walk with semi-clinched fingers. I try to keep my fingers straight or tuck the tip of my fingers into an opened palm - more like a karate punch than a boxing punch. Also, I try to swing my arms from the elbow and not the shoulder. By keeping your elbows in tight, it tends to balance a smaller waist against male shoulders.

Practice, practice, practice...
    When writing the next chapter in your life, start with a pencil and eraser - my first page as Miki is full of eraser marks.

Love this thread, lots of great advice here. This is something I've been paying attention to a lot lately and trying to subtly practice as a I walk throughout the day. It's hard to say how good I am at it, but I think I've got the subtle sway thing more or less down (I have wide hips for a guy, which helps).

In watching how women walk in person and films, I think arm movement is actually a bigger indicator than hip movement. As others have said, keep your elbows in and let your arm swing start more from the elbow than the shoulder.

Life is more fun in heels Genifer Teal's Avatar
    Leading with your hips is the key but this is not as obvious as it sounds. You need to relax your core muscles and sort of let your belly (not suggesting it is large) hang forward like it is limp. When you get the posture right, the "sway" will happen. it happens because of the posture not because you are forcing the sway. It is hard to fully understand until you experience it and have the ah ha moment. It is also hard to maintain at first. Men naturally tense their core. For me, relaxing it is not natural. Practice will get you there.

I watched my niece walk at a very young age and she already had the female walk. She was too young to walk a certain way on purpose. Just walking was enough challenge. It is mechanics and posture, anything else is just to exaggerate it. I believe much of it come from wider hips, placing the legs further apart.

Quote Originally Posted by mikiSJ View Post
    It has been my observation that most males walk with semi-clinched fingers. I try to keep my fingers straight or tuck the tip of my fingers into an opened palm - more like a karate punch than a boxing punch. Also, I try to swing my arms from the elbow and not the shoulder. By keeping your elbows in tight, it tends to balance a smaller waist against male shoulders.
    Non sequiter, but your post still made me smile..

When she walks
    She swings her arms, instead of her hips
    When she talks she moves her mouth, instead of her lips
    I've waited for her for so long
    I've waited for her for so long
    I've wondered if I could hang on
    I've wondered if I could hang on

"Let me go," she said
    "Let me go," she said
    Let me go and I will want you more

- Cake "Let Me Go"
    - Madame Moose - on my way to Anne
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    "I yam what I yam and tha's all what I yam." -- Popeye the Sailor
    "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? And when I am for myself, what am 'I'? And if not now, when?" - Hillel the Elder

Here's one that doesn't appear to have been mentioned. Take two kitchen chairs to the living room. Pick up one in each hand. Extend your arms a little and walk. The chairs will change your center of gravity and make you put your feet in a motion that allows your hips to sway.

Hope this helps....

Renne.....

Quote Originally Posted by Chari View Post
    Good advice from previous posts! Walking as a woman does take observing them, especially those in your age group and size. Do not try to overplay the hip wiggle, but please do stand up straight, shoulders back, head up, arms/elbows close to your body, and begin with smaller steps keeping your toes pointed forward. Lots of practicing walking in 2"-3" heels can also improve your movement as the body weight is shifted higher and to the front. Enjoy.
    I've been told to walk straight and tall. Or the way she put in, "Enter a room breasts first."
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

I've been playing some of the "perfect World" MMO games (Ether saga online, Jade Dynasty, & Perfect world international ) (as a girl of course :P )

if you set your char to walk instead of run, they do a fairly accurate walk (in heels), and I have used it with moderate success (must post video someday...)

I've discovered that GGs have as many walks as GMs do, even when they wear heels. There is no one right way for a woman to walk. Tall, athletic women walk differently than short full-figured women.

I find that when I wear "walkable heels" like 2-3" wedges I seem to adopt a natural feminine gait. I try to develop a kinesthetic memory of this for other occasions.

How one holds one's arms is also important. GGs tend to hold their arms with a greater angle at the elbow and with forearms farther from the body than males. Keep the elbows in, but open the forearms and hands a bit as they swing. Women tend to leave their fingers out rather than ball them into fists like men. My experience is that if the arms are moving correctly the rest of the body will follow.

Another thing: Holding a shoulder bag or purse accentuates the motion of the other arm. When a woman has to walk fast suddenly she tends to straighten and stiffen her arms, but in a sustained run female runners switch to male gaits and arm motions.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

I have to say the "walk into a room breast first" comment to me is pretty spot on. I have a pair of 5.5" heels I adore and they are the best to walk in when your back is straight and you walk with your chest sticking out. Something about the weird powers breasts give you I figure

Here again is the link to the bio walker; examine it, compare what you're doing and then gradually change it. And when playing with it, please note that real women DO NOT cross one foot over the other when walking; that's a specific behavior of runway models in very high heels, which no man can do and appear normal. If you really still believe that, get out into the real world and watch women from the front and back, and you'll see the reality. When people mention the crossing over of the feet while walking, it's the FEEL of almost doing that, it isn't actually happening other than the fashion shows. Good luck. http://www.biomotionlab.ca/Demos/BMLwalker.html
    Last edited by sometimes_miss; 04-14-2014 at 09:17 AM.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Life is more fun in heels Genifer Teal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eryn View Post
    There is no one right way for a woman to walk.

I agree with your point, however it is wrong to walk like a guy in a dress. Maybe I have become hyper sensitive to how people walk. The first think I notice as a CD approached me is a manly walk and a person's silhouette. These are features that can be noticed from a distance long before we see a persons face. They are strong gender cues because they are the first information our brain receives to determine a person's gender. This is why I feel a proper walk is important.

I met a new girl out for the first time and we met on the street outside the event. We were on the cell. She is walking across the street telling me she's here. From half way down the block I could pick this stranger out in a second. Not an earth shattering discovery but is made a lasting impression. Avoiding the male waddle (neanderthal walk) will serve you well.