Thread: All in the Family

Gold Member

All in the Family

So yesterday I went to my first appointment with my choice of doctors. She probably has the largest transgender patient base in Utah and is an OB/Gyn. My wife went with me. She was a very engaging person and as I asked questions, she referenced WPath and having attended the latest WPath conference in Bangkok. That is a good start for building confidence.

She told me what she like to prescribe and the dosages and escalation of dosages. I then pulled out my labs from the last two years which includes some excessively high Testosterone levels. She took quite an interest in that and mentioned her concern of that level a few times while we talked. I ended up with a dosage in the middle of her escalation plan instead of the start. It does make me wonder if there is a difference of feeling on someone going from midrange to female levels and someone going from above normal-high to female levels. I am pretty antsy and am doing things like constantly shaking my feet and I wonder if that will calm down. Anyway, back to the story....

What was nice is that I assume that my wife has heard everything before this appointment. But she got to hear the doctor say some of it and then I had to sign a sheet with a list of what the drugs do and the possible side effects, so I went through them one at a time with her. Now I know she has heard it. In the end, my wife asked the doctor if she was taking new patients. Now my wife and I have the same OB/Gyn. Never thought I would be saying that.

Everyone was telling me that getting Estrogen would make you cry more. I wasn't sure of the effects until I was driving away from the doctor's office.... Oh, you mean it is suppose to be in my system first?
    Last edited by PretzelGirl; 04-12-2014 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Removed a couple of "So"s starting a sentence. Don't know where I developed that bad habit

Sue, that is great news. So, will you and the SO schedule appointments for the same time?

And I don't know about everyone, but I've cried more in the last six months of HRT than I have my entire life...

Hugs,

Leah
    Be nice; It don't cost nothing.

Right before I started hormones I cried a lot too..

I took a lot of Ativan too...

it was a very emotional time to say the least.

Platinum Member
    I love it....sharing an OB/gyn with your wife! That marks a significant new threshold in any relationship. Obviously your wife was positively and strongly impressed by your doctors clinical approach.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Silver Member
    Sue , It is so wonderful to read you are continuing to move and grow in a positive direction, and under a doctors supervision! Finding and knowing who you REALLY are is a battle in it self, but to have an accepting partner, that IMO is fantastic! Please do not rush the "changes" in your life, but do be pleasured in the discovery with each one. Enjoy.

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leah Lynn View Post
    Sue, that is great news. So, will you and the SO schedule appointments for the same time?
    My wife actually asked and once she schedules an HRT patient for a day, that day is all HRT and the same is true for the remainder of her patients. So unless/until I have surgery, we fit in different days.

Aspiring Member
    Sue you and i are really close in time frames. I see my endo in a week and half and like you i have two years of data. I hope my meeting goes as well as yours did. Congrads on a great meeting. How was your level of anxiety before and after? My levels on excitement and anxiety are high at the moment while I wait.
    Professional thread killer.

It is wonderful that you found a Dr. you can have complete faith in. This is such an important time in our lives that knowing your care is in good hands is a great relief.
    I love my Endo, and he is apparently the go-to guy in my area. I feel good having him in my corner.
    Congrats on the beginning of your greatest adventure.
    P.S. I found the crying started at three months, and lasted three months. Carry Kleenex, and don't read Hallmark cards, or look at pictures of babies.(or puppies)

Gold Member
    Steph, I am one that is all business going in and during and it all crashes on my after. Like when I went to tell my therapist I was ready for HRT and wanted his position, I talked through it all and he agreed. He then asked me how I felt and I said I was happy and ready to move forward. Then I walked out and got in my car and that's when it hit me.

Paula, I went out of my network because the only one in network had some comments about not listening to what the patients were telling him. I sure won't have any of that. I hope in three months, work is pretty calm.