Thread: Looking for trans people from USA now living in Europe

Looking for trans people from USA now living in Europe

I have some very specific questions about relocating from the USA to any part of Europe. I'd like responses from those that have done so, or can refer me to someone who has.

So far, I've read the long article from Amnesty International about it, and it's quite clear that it varies significantly from country to country. The country I'm the most interested in at this point is Norway.

I can see that probably the best thing for me to do is to complete my transition in every way possible here where I live before considering relocating. This includes getting all my legal documents (both state and federal) changed to my new name and gender. I'm wondering if those countries will recognize the revised documents, or if they will require originals, like a birth certificate showing my gender and name at birth.

Also, I do not intend to have bottom surgery, at this point so I'm wondering if this would present a problem in a country I could be moving to. (Statistics I've seen show that plenty of transwomen do not undergo bottom surgery, and the vast majority of transmen don't, so this must come up as a common question.) In reading through the Amnesty International document, it looks like it could be a problem in some nations where they require certain surgeries to qualify in their way of viewing this and be able to have the gender marker changed on their documents.

I am in therapy currently, and will have a formal diagnosis I can present if required to provide it. I'm wondering if the whole process has to be started over again in the country I would be relocating to, or if they recognize legal documents (passport, birth certificate, etc.) and a therapist from the USA.

So, I have lots of questions, and I'm wondering if there's places to find these answers and more in European countries like there are here in the USA (like Lamda Legal or the Transgender Law Center).

Thanks in advance!

Ann

Ok, I can see that after a week, and no replies, that I need to broaden my search. Does anyone know of web forums like this one that more of the European transgender communities might frequent?

Thanks,
    Ann

Untitled
    Europe is a large geographical area with lots of differing rules, laws etc, maybe if you be more specific then you may get more input
    Listen carefully to what is said, quite often you can hear what is not being said

The joy of correcting a mistake can bring pain to another

Yes, I agree, Nigella, and I thought I was being specific enough by mentioning Norway in my original post.

So, I'll provide a list of countries, not in any specific order. All are on the list either because either myself or my wife speak the language (if not an English speaking country then not fluently, of course), have visited there at least once in our lifetimes, or have friends already in those countries:

Norway
    Sweden
    Finland
    Germany
    UK: Ireland, Scotland, England
    Northern Ireland
    France
    we might consider others as we gather more information

Hope that helps!

Ann
    Last edited by Ann Thomas; 04-20-2014 at 07:30 PM. Reason: of course I speak English fluently, lol

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar

Moderator's note

I have checked with the original poster and she genuinely does want to limit replies in the thread to Trans* people from the USA who have relocated to one of the countries that she has mentioned.

If you feel you have information that might help Ann, but do not fit into this category, you might consider sending her a PM, but please do not make me delete your post.
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity