Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has Facebook replaced your chat?

Has Facebook replaced your chat?

I remember back in the days of dial up internet when AIM and ICQ chat were what everyone used. Nowadays I find less people use that and more use Facebook. But, as someone in the closet, I wouldn't go on Facebook as Jenny (especially not with all the privacy issues Facebook has).

So question for everyone: have you given up on chat completely? Do you use Facebook and just watch your privacy settings? Do you have two Facebook accounts? Or are you on chat? Or do you not use chat, and if so why?

Personally, I'm on Skype. I've used the free chats on transgender sites, but too many are focused on sex, so my chatting ends up being very small.

I use facebook a lot to keep up with friends and family, and i don't have 2 accounts setup but have started coming out to long time friends the past week and it's been very positive so far. Friends have been extremly supportive if it makes me happy.

i use facebook... 1 as my male self and 2nd as melissa. and i dont keep any same friends,(and male page has only family).

I use Facebook (a second profile) and simply hope for the best I try to feed either profile with as little information as possible anyway.

I only have a female facebook page. Its very dangerous if you have both profiles and wish to keep them totally seperate/private(I would say close to impossible!).
    There are many ways facebook acomplishes the link... even if you have completely different names.
    Me, I dont care if it slips( I try my best to keep it away from friends and family though)

Just this morning I noticed a link between two peoples profiles. Wasnt looking, but you just notice it...

I've not really used a chat thing much anymore. I do have 2 FB profiles though, one for Kacey and other for male self. (Kacey's FB is what I put for my website in profile here) But as family already knows and most friends about Kacey, I have friended some across both. My male fb page is flooded with 'friends' due to doing a lot of gaming,etc awhile back.. (The Zynga curse ) So anyone looking at friends lists would be rough to correlate.
    I also do have Skype...but really only have used that just to talk back with mom. Not that I wouldn't mind using that more, but then I'd have to probably keep my apartment cleaner..
    Kacey Rhiannon - (FB Page) (Twitter)
    Bliss is your birthright! Feel Sexy Every Day!

Aussie girl enjoying life Michelle (Oz)'s Avatar
    I remember ICQ well plus others like MSN. Nowadays I use Facebook (femme profile) but not prolific. Fun to link up with some friends (GG and CD) from my ever expanding femme world.

I'm on FB but being fairly well known it's not an issue for me. I have some friends who are friends with my male side too.... It is possible to set up a FB account which is viewable only by you and people you are friends with and also make it secure browsing (and private using your browsers privacy settings). It will still pickup info to offer you targetted ads within FB but then doesn't leak info back out!

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferYager View Post
    (especially not with all the privacy issues Facebook has)
    Facebook doesn't believe in privacy of any kind, so facebook doesn't have a privacy issue. Facebook's problem is that users have a totally unreasonable fixation about privacy...

I originally used Compuserve and started learning about CD in the Human Sexuality forum as deedee(tv). These days, for the little chatting I do, I do use Facebook. I generally delete the complete conversation when I leave FB.

Deedee
    It's not wrong... but it is forbidden!

Back in the day, I used chat groups, now it is just this forum,
    or I do chat with a friend or my sister with Facebook. but that is all
    I don't chat with anyone else on Facebook.
    my sister's reply when I told her how I prefer to dress

"Everyone has there thing, all that matters is that you are happy, love what you do and who you do it with"

Platinum Member
    Hi Jenn, The whole idea of Facebook scares the $#!+ out of me !
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

I use Facebook for my male persona and Fetlife for my female persona. For me it's a convenient way to keep things separate.
    Back on the forums! But still very much closeted.

I think you've said this before...

Quote Originally Posted by BLUE ORCHID View Post
    Hi Jenn, The whole idea of Facebook scares the $#!+ out of me !
    And I'm pretty much with you 100%...

If it's not an active tool of the NSA and GCHQ it's a conduit to the Russian mafia or FSB... might be both - best left alone....

I 'chat' on here or I email friends...

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

I use Trinity Sue here. Sue though alone has a Facebook Yahoo and Instant Messenger accounts. Sue has been my original and I even kept the name after I went through the denial phase cancelling all contacts for 15 yrs.

Facebook has been polluting my feed with junk. I do FB to keep in touch with my kids, nothing else
    - Madame Moose - on my way to Anne
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    "I yam what I yam and tha's all what I yam." -- Popeye the Sailor
    "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? And when I am for myself, what am 'I'? And if not now, when?" - Hillel the Elder

These days there are probably a dozen currrently-popular ways to chat with text.

There's something called a "tyranny of choice." When confronted with too many choices many people opt to choose none at all.

This pretty much describes me. I don't want to go about setting up an account, develop relationships, and then find that whatever service I'm using has become "yesterday's news" like Myspace or Friendster.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

any company that states they are going into your hard drive to get any information they want,

is to be avoided.

got online banking? account numbers
    ever buy anything online? cc numbers
    passwords? need i say more.

face book get's it all.

Katey, your comment made me think of this:

CIA's Facebook program dramatically cut agency costs
    http://www.theonion.com/video/cias-f...cys-cos,19753/
    Last edited by JenniferYager; 04-14-2014 at 10:38 PM. Reason: added title

This is the only social network I am on, if this goes pear shaped, Beverley goes home.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Banned Read only
    I use facebook but not as Roberta. I chatted a few time back in the day on IRC, and other forums chatrooms but small talk with strangers really does not do it for me and I spent most of my time saying nothing. I never felt part of the clique that most busy chatrooms always seem to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Beverley Sims View Post
    This is the only social network I am on, if this goes pear shaped, Beverley goes home.
    Speaking of which, I think we need a official or unofficial cd.com facebook group so we can find each other when the forum goes south (again).

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    good idea zylia ! how can we do that?

I use facebook for family and very close friends, and then twitter for other friends/everyone else.
    Then of course there's phone texts..Social media is a big part of modern life these days unfortunately, it's becoming main source of communication and cutting it all out is not an option to stay in the loop.

Quote Originally Posted by Adriana Moretti View Post
    good idea zylia ! how can we do that?
    I think you can just make one, but I don't know if the CD.com staff is cool with it if they don't control it themselves.

What about for those of us not using Facebook? Could we put together a Skype group? It would be easier to control the privacy.