Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Those dreaded words that no CDer wants to hear?

Banned Read only

Those dreaded words that no CDer wants to hear?

Those awful 4 words. "I love your shoes".

Now, w/o cheating [checking other responses before you post] do you KNOW how you would react?

To simplify, let's assume, you don't see who said it, but the voice certainly sounds female and it sounds like they are within 15 or 20 feet away. [Not 100 feet away and shouted for the whole store to hear]

1] Your heart rate would likely instantly jump to 150 beats a minute and you would likely drop and spill your purse and you would do your best Run Forrest Run impression?

2] You would instantly just KNOW you had been busted? Followed by #1 reaction?

3] Immediately counter attack and go on the defensive with a well rehearsed verbal assault?

4] Thank her for the compliment and/or offer to her where you bought them?

5] Simply say "Thank You" but with your body language let her know you are open to questions?

6] Feel the need to explain to her WHY you are "dressed up"

7] Ignore her/Pretend you did not hear her?

8] Other?

Feel free to pick as many as you want!

Mine would be a modified No. 4. The modification would be that she or he has just given me a great reason to start a conversation with another stranger.

Platinum Member
    Without hesitation, 4.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I would go with number 4 and thank her. Being complimented on your shoes is a normal part of being a woman. Every time I have gone out en femme I get complimented on my shoes or clothes at least once, especially in support groups.

I understand the fears behind this. "I've been clocked." "I haven't been clocked yet, but I will be clocked when I open my mouth and she hears a male voice."
    I've finally mastered the art of making salads. My favorite is a delicious Mediterranean salad.

I'd give her a big smile and say thank you. Unless she was being sarcastic, she would have just made my day. And, I would be thinking what I could compliment her on.

Kate

how do I know it is addressed to me? If I heard a voice and couldn't tell who it was, and there were other people around, I would assume it was addressed to someone else. If there are only 2 people around so I know it must be her talking to me, what else is there to do but say 'Thank you' and try to find something about her to compliment.

Deedee
    It's not wrong... but it is forbidden!

My shoes always get compliments.. and I always go for 4.

Why on earth would those words be something I wouldn't want to hear? Seriously.. why wouldn't I?
    │ Fashion and science geek!

│ Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nat.crys.5

│ My blog: http://natcrys.blogspot.com/

Aspiring Member dana digs sweaters's Avatar
    #4 & #5 without a doubt

Mine was #4.. At my recent Dress Barn shopping..
    Actually.. Twice.
    One by a customer, and another by the SA.
    Only thing I find annoying is I still am lacking in the response after.. I'd like to be able to say thanks, and give a good comment back on whatever the lady might have on,etc... But I'm too new and still a bit nervous at this to give quick compliments back I guess
    Kacey Rhiannon - (FB Page) (Twitter)
    Bliss is your birthright! Feel Sexy Every Day!

"Aren't they great??"

Thank you (dear!)

<3
    - Madame Moose - on my way to Anne
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    "I yam what I yam and tha's all what I yam." -- Popeye the Sailor
    "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? And when I am for myself, what am 'I'? And if not now, when?" - Hillel the Elder

Gone to live my life
    Going to go with # 4 as well as that has occurred only it was a scarf I was wearing.

Hugs

Isha

Women admire each other's shoes and frequently compliment us on them. The polite thing to do is #4, to thank her for the compliment, preferably in a feminine voice that shows that you truly appreciate her compliment. Even if you don't remember where you got that specific pair, you can give her your favorite store (DSW in my case). Often this will become an opening for a conversation. It's also a good idea to look for some choice she has made and compliment her. Jewelry, clothing, or shoes are all great items to complement. This mutual affirmation validates both of you and creates the opening for mutual admiration and mutual friendship, even if only for a few minutes.

When a woman compliments your shoes or jewelry, this is her way of saying "you're one of us". She may not even realize you are not a natural woman.

Needless to say, it's a good idea to practice speaking in a more feminine voice. A pitch around A below middle C to middle C is a good range, especially if you're a larger woman. It's also a good idea to practice using a range of pitches to show emotion. Most men maintain a rather even pitch, usually less than a third in range. Women often use an entire octave or more.
    Facebook - Debbie Lawrence
    Web - [URL="http://www.debbieballard.org"]DebbieBallard.org{/URL]
    See also:
    Open4Success

#4 or #5 depending on how I felt at the time. I've gotten compliments on my tops before, my shoes are pretty plain...

terrapin station, you need to guess a little bit
    Can't a compliment be taken as a compliment and leave it at that?

#5. I actually had that situation while wearing heels in drab.
    Judging by her expression I am pretty sure that it was meant as a complement!
    The moment passed so quickly that I never had the chance to respond.

I would be nervous as hell but thank her then explain the utter ordeal I had to go through to find them in a 12WW and moan about how I would just die to fit in a size 9.
    I really need to work on my signature...

Platinum Member
    Hi WAH, #7 for sure don't look back and keep walking.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Gold Member
    Why would anyone do anything except 4 or 5?
    Unless it is a snide tone, it is genuine. Yeah you probably were "busted" but if so, they have already shown approval.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

I would go with 4 and smile as I walked away.

Banned Read only
    One odd thing about compliments I have noticed is that Black ladies are probably 10 times more likely to offer them regardless of the store but especially in Payless...

I think I would keep it simple and just go with number 4
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

No doubt number 4. I love having conversations like this with women!

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by natcrys View Post
    My shoes always get compliments.. and I always go for 4.

Why on earth would those words be something I wouldn't want to hear? Seriously.. why wouldn't I?
    I'm rolling with Nat...it is also a very good opening line to say to a GG....the shoes say alot about the women wearing them...

Little Mrs. Snarky! Nadine Spirit's Avatar

And I don't dread it at all. I love getting complements. Generally I don't complement back. But I offer complements to others when I genuinely think they deserve them.

Well, I am currently super duper in the closest. So if I were to actually hear those words I think I would go with option #0. Fall over dead from a heart attack. :-). But in all honesty. I believe that if I ever screw up the courage to venture out into the big wide world en femme, I would go with number 4 or 5 and be thrilled with the compliment.
    Last edited by Millie.Graham; 04-13-2014 at 11:48 PM.