Thread: Work .. During and after

Aspiring Member

Work .. During and after

I have been doing a bunch of reading about experiences other girls have had duringand after transition with work. I get that we lowe that typical male status and are the inferior worker.. not my opinion it's just what I gather the rest of the world has said.... was wondering about those that have tried to seek new employment after or during. I own my own buisness and i have no clue if will survive so i have to think about other things. So i wonder sometimes what field a 6 foot 6 ts could go into and still make a living. I have read a ton of horror stories so those are good to hear also.
    Professional thread killer.

I transitioned on the job. That went well, but they had no choice. I went through a burnout and tried looking for other work in the same field. No one wanted to hire me. It's not that I am "transy," it's that ex-coworkers are everywhere. I went through a long depression where I stopped working completely. I started my career again 6 months ago, but strictly freelancing from home. I honestly think it will take a long time before I can get regular work again in my field, and in my city.

Sorry
    Last edited by Frances; 04-15-2014 at 02:35 PM.

I am self employed and have transitioned on the job. I own an electrical & mechanical contracting business. The recent success of our business is directly attributable to my transition. My employees, suppliers and customers have all accepted and although things have changed, they have changed for the better.
    "When failure is off the table the only thing left is to negotiate levels of success" M Hobbes

"Never Let your Fear Decide Your Fate" Awolnation

"A new dawn destroys the tranquility of the darkness" Steph W

Aspiring Member
    Stefan I hope that mine goes like yours. I just don't know.... I am trying to think of things for the future and this is where I am at.

I myself work nights, the shifts no one wants. i work alone but i am coming to the realization this is only going to work for so long. Am i willing to put up with the change or opinions? still not sure on that. I do know however that im looking at this stage in my life as a new start, so ill be going back to school

Banned Read only
    Not knowing for sure, I would assume your business is successful or at least not going under at the moment. How did it get that way? Through hard work? You gave 110% and then some to make your business what it is, right? Your business survives because you are willing to do a good job and keep your customers happy, right? You will do almost anything to see that your business survives, won't you? Why should anything change just because you are going to transition? As long as you put in the same effort and have the same results, there is no reason your business can't survive. You need to show your employees, suppliers, and customers it is business as usual, just under new ownership so to speak.

On a personal level, how do you think you are going to successfully transition? What is it going to take to ensure you are a success? To start, you need to buy in 300%. If you don't believe in it, no one else will. You need to work hard to not only change your appearance but your mind as well. Life is giving you a second chance, don't blow it. I have said many times, transition is mostly a mental game. If you are not going to bring your A game, you might as well not even try.

Quote Originally Posted by stefan37 View Post
    I am self employed and have transitioned on the job. I own an electrical & mechanical contracting business. The recent success of our business is directly attributable to my transition. My employees, suppliers and customers have all accepted and although things have changed, they have changed for the better.
    That is awesome. I personally hope that if I were in this situation, I would receive the same acceptance and respect that you have experienced.

Aspiring Member
    Jorja you hit the nail on the head. I am trying to put my ducks in a row to give it my all. Trying to see were some pitfalls may wait for me at. That's all...thank you for the comments though as you are correct. Amazing the further you go forward the more you realize you haven't even started yet

Just take the pitfalls and try to make them positive experiences. That would be my advice.
    Last edited by Rianna Humble; 04-18-2014 at 12:38 AM. Reason: No need to quote the entire previous post

I don't know what a ts woman would face. Easier to just become a woman and live. That's what I did.
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

Aspiring Member
    ok Angela .. I get that point and I am happy you were able to do that..but what about those that don't blend into to the people so well? That is what I am asking

Hopefully you have a deep wallet, or very thick skin!

I have not had any body modification surgery to date and have been out for a long time. Legally fulltime since Sept(by that I mean legal name change. I am well received for the most part and the majority of new people I interact with treat me with respect even if they know I am trans. And trust me spend some time with me on the job and it is obvious I grew up differently. It is up to you to decide what is important. If you want something bad enough and put in the work, you will see results. Not saying it is easy and actually going fulltime is very difficult. I have spent time with some friends and some have more challenges than I do, yet they present themselves well and live their lives as themselves. It is an authentic life that provides some measure of peace.

As to your job do it well and your customers will not care. If you don't deliver the goods, doesnt matter how you live you will lose the account. provide the same quality level of service and they will stick with you.

There is a huge difference living life as a male full or part time telling others you are transitioning and living full time as female. But it does get easier. Join organizations that have female members and start interacting in them as a female. We transition from a male point of view or from our trans friends view. Interact with genetic females as much as possible. It is interesting to observe the power dynamics at play. The difficult part is leaving those dynamics you are familiar with and enter the realm of the female woman.

Transition is a process of challenges we encounter and defeat or get stuck. The choice is yours how you want to handle them.
    "When failure is off the table the only thing left is to negotiate levels of success" M Hobbes

"Never Let your Fear Decide Your Fate" Awolnation

"A new dawn destroys the tranquility of the darkness" Steph W

I am self employed, although voluntarily on the verge of retirement. I came out to 200+ clients via email. I received back 200+ notes of congratulations at being able to live my life as I should. I've have not lost any clients, including the Catholic Church, who welcomed me with open arms,(I do some electrical maintainance for them, and the Catholic School board) and said they look forward to working with Paula. I did gain one good client just by being trans.
    One thing I did was de-gender my website. I used to sell a person. Now I'm just selling a business. There are no pictures of me, before or after, on it.
    Of course, YMMV, depending on location, and other factors.

Quote Originally Posted by StephBrown View Post
    ok Angela .. I get that point and I am happy you were able to do that..but what about those that don't blend into to the people so well? That is what I am asking
    determine what you need to do and do it. It can be done.

Do you think it was easy for me?
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

Start growing a thick skin immediately! That will help..As will treating your customers and suppliers in a way that they will continue to do business with you,no matter what you look like or what first name you use. In a lot of the work world of Florida and beyond,it may be beneficial to be labeled as "being a bit different".lol That way your start of a social transition isn't such a huge shock to those around you..With so much on your mind presently,they may actually view your new presentation as "a breath of fresh air"! Ever think of things that way?
    It SURE is my hair ! I have the receipt and the box it came in !