Thread: Compliments

Silver Member Majella St Gerard's Avatar

Compliments

How do you all respond to compliments? I'm really a shy person and have always felt embarrassed when getting a compliment, I usually just blush and say thank you.

I have a real issue with complements... they are often made expecting something in return. Just a simple, genuine, 'thank you' is best. No further discussion or obligation taken.
    Chickie

I appreciate and accept all compliments gracefully. Hey a 66 year old geezer has to take all he can get, right?
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

You handled it just perfectly. It is just part of your shyness. That can sometimes be over come by putting yourself in situations where you have to deal with your shyness on a regular basis, not just when crossdressed.

Chickhe, I have rarely ever felt that a compliment was made by someone expecting something in return. I agree that it does happen, but from my point of view, it is the exception and not the norm.

Little Mrs. Snarky! Nadine Spirit's Avatar
    I love complements and get them frequently while dressed as a male or female. I say thank you and smile. I never feel weird about them at all. I never feel obligated to do anything in return.

Now fair game, as I see it, is to complement others when I see a need to. And I do that whenever the desire arises, again regardless of how I am dressed and regardless of what I feel like complementing.

Platinum Member
    I think the thank you is sufficient.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I just say thank you and smile. Most of the time that is all they are expecting. I can't stand when you compliment someone and then they tell you their whole life story.

I used to deflect them, finding a fault or self deprecation. Then one day a man said something and I put myself down and tried to be what I thought was humble and he lifted my chin, looked me in the eyes and said "the answer was 'thank you' " So when someone compliments me, I say "Thank you" or "thank you so much". Nothing more is needed. Nothing less is correct.
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

I will occasionally get an undeserved or insincere compliment. The response is still "Thank you." because an undeserved or insincere compliment is still better than no compliment at all, and some days it's the best I can get.

Best wishes
    MsVal

A simple "Thank you" with a smile is usually appropriate.
    Hugs, Carole

I am able to accept compliments without any worry these days.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I say thank you and often try to return the compliment

Just a touch of class Lynn Marie's Avatar
    Of course, a simple and gracious "thank you" is the appropriate response. If you want to understand compliments, try giving them freely and well. It's wonderfully rewarding.

The best compliments are timely and specific.

Best wishes
    MsVal

Banned Read only
    I was brought up where compliments didn't exist, nothing was good enough, so I've ended up by being over complimentary and not only thank people but tell them how kind they are and possibly embarrass them slightly but I find most people return the compliment.
    The only time I felt embarrassed by a complement was when photographing a wedding, the Bride's father pushed a five pound note in my top pocket as a tip I responded by saying that I obviously wasn't charging enough, but strangely I wanted to give it back, it made me feel cheap !
    Last edited by Teresa; 04-16-2014 at 03:22 PM.

I agree...a simple smile and a "thank you" is sufficient.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

The vast majority of compliments I agree only need a simple thank you.

Others do need a response I was once complimented on a lovely blouse I was wearing but at the same time was ask where I had purchased it.

I said thank you but could not help as it was a present from a friend.

The best compliments are the ones you least expect so enjoy them while you can.
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

Pretty much the same as you but sometimes and I don't know why I do a bad Elvis "ahh ,Thank-you ,Thank-you very much".

I have left the building , Lisa
    "you are a strange species and there are many out there;shall I tell you what I find beautiful about you ,you are at your best when things are at their worst" ...[ Starman]
    It may of course be a bit disturbing to sense that one is really not so firmly anchored to the gender one was born into.